Essential theme: custom highlight menu

Essential theme: custom highlight menu

by Animal the muppet -
Number of replies: 43
HI all (and Mary! smile)

We'd like a a colour change on hover over in the Custom menu items / custommenuitems menu at the top of the page. Is the only way to do this turn on the theme designer option? We didn't want to slow our site down by turning this option on. I thought there might be some code we could throw in the settings page. See the  image attached and how the highlight is grey

Thanks all!

Attachment MDL_22398.screenshot.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Animal the muppet

Re: Essential theme: custom highlight menu

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

That's not the Essential theme, so is the subject of the post wrong?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

What version of Moodle are you using Louis? The theme you have looks like Standard theme. It certainly is NOT the Essential theme.

I am guessing you are using Moodle 2.5 and the Standard theme. You may well have a copy of Essential theme on your Moodle server, but you certainly have not selected it as your default theme.

Ummm...how do we sort this one out?

Is your Moodle site public? Can you give us a link to it?

This way I might be able to help fix the menu.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Animal the muppet -

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! I am using the essential theme but the image was just illustrate my point (I should of just taken a screenshot) I see you all have keen eyes though spotting the theme! smile

We're running moodle 2.8 with the Essential theme. I'm not able to post a link but I thought there might be something I'm missing in customising the menu hover over approve 

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

OK...that's easy...here is the CSS that adds it in Bootstrapbase.

.dropdown-menu > li > a:hover,
.dropdown-menu > li > a:focus,
.dropdown-submenu:hover > a,
.dropdown-submenu:focus > a {
    background-color: #00699e;
    background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, #0070a8, #005f8f);
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    color: #fff;
    text-decoration: none;
 }

If you want a solid colour use this:

background-image: none;
 }

If you want a gradient background use this:

}

just adjust the HEX colour codes to suit your site colours.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Animal the muppet -

Thanks again Mary!

The code looks great. In feel silly, but where does it go? I tried in the custom CSS box in the essential theme settings. 

Do I have to add this in another location in style sheet somewhere?

by Mary Evans -

Sorry, I assumed you would have known where to add the CSS. Yes in the Essential CSS section of the General settings page.

If it is not working the either you have copied it wrongly, or it is not picking it up because of some other problem.

Just out of curiosity can you post the exact CSS you are using? Just so I can check it is right. It is so easy to miss off a dot 

Cheers

Mary

by Just H -

Try purging the cache.

In reply to Just H

by Animal the muppet -

I have purged the cache (site admin>Development>Purge all caches)

Attached is a screenshot of my code (it was a copy and paste)

Attachment css.png

by Animal the muppet -

no joy yet :s

Attachment nojoy.png

by Mary Evans -

You have an error in the CSS you used.

the very top line is not connected to the actual code below it which adds the changes you need.

the line that is the odd one out is actually a CSS rule rathre than a class name so delete it. Unless it is a previous rule in which case you need to close it off with curly bracket...

background-repeat: no-repeat; 
}

You only need this for the hover colours.

}

cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Animal the muppet -

Thanks for spotting that wink I did try it with just the hover code alone but this is still a thorn in my side and not working sad

Any advice where to go now?

Thanks very much Yes

Attachment why.jpg

by Mary Evans -

Is your Moodle site public?

If it is can you send me a message and give me the web address so I can take a look?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Animal the muppet -

Thanks for the PM and code checking eyes Mary! 

Check out this video at 1.10 

The colour hover overs are there in the essential theme which is odd mixed

by Mary Evans -

That was the original Essential which I like very much. The one that has evolved looks more or less the same but it is complex as it uses other methods of compiling css and the config.php is way too codified for me...I like the simple life. LOL

Just so that I am not going down the wrong rabbit hole...have you added any more CSS other than the section you  posted a screen-shot of?

The CSS I found while looking at your Moodle site points to possibly a setting that has not been activated and so is using default colour, that is why the background is white when hovering.

In the Essential settings there should be some settings where you can select hover colours. Have you set any of these yet? If not then this is perhaps why you don't see any changes in the menu.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Animal the muppet -

Ah, simple life. Cassette in the walk-man and the occasional pager message smile

The only  hover reference I found is in essential>colour (screenshot attached). The red highlighting works on text but not the header menu

Attachment 1.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

V2.8.1.5 will probably fix this.  Essential has come a long way since the start and now has less CSS to deal with.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Animal the muppet -

Thanks for the answer and special thanks to Mary! smile

Right, off to find more technical battles! cool

by Mary Evans -

Glad to hear you got this fixed!

cheers!

by Animal the muppet -

nooo! dead

V2.8.1.5 didn't fix it afraid. Any ideas where to go on this one Gareth? 

by Gareth J Barnard -

Nope.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Works for me with alternate colours:

Attachment 2015-06-18 12_53_10-Moodle 28.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

And changing the defaults....

Attachment 2015-06-18 12_56_04-Moo28_ Administration_ Appearance_ Themes_ Essential_ Colour.jpg

by Mary Evans -

If you choose to not use any of the alternative colours, I found there are some colours that seem not to have been altered that stay the default colours. Was that intentional?  Looks odd when your new default is largly 'red' and then have to restyle the css to change the default colour turquoise to red using #page-header h1#title { color: #c10f00;}

Some other things don't seem to colour well either like the breadcrumb button which is white on white and has a strange hover color that only colours one half of the background.

I am using version: 2015060200

Has that been super-seeded?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Not superseded, just updated, latest from: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=8802.  White on white breadcrumb button was fixed.

But admittedly, I'm still going though cleaning and fixing the CSS.  Already spent too much time on it this month.

by Gareth J Barnard -

The header text colour has its own setting 'headertextcolor' on the 'Header' settings page.  Does this theme have too many options?

by Animal the muppet -

Just tested alternative colours and hover over works. Can't get hover colours otherwise so I guess this is a bug?

Thanks for spending your time buried in code Gareth. I love the theme! Yes

by Gareth J Barnard -

Screen shot evidence please.

by Mary Evans -

Hi Lou,

There are some little things related to the Alternative colours which could do with tweaking. However I got the hover working last night and had the three alternative colours switched off, so it is NOT a bug. What it might be is the colours that you have put in the boxes might be causing the problem.  Can I ask what you have put for the theme colour in the first box of Essential Colour settings?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Animal the muppet -

I think it could my own error with the colours. I did play and changed all the colours but I couldn't get it to work before. 

Here is a screenshot of my colours page.

Attachment colours1.jpg

by Animal the muppet -
we have our theme_essential | themecolor (first option in the colour setting) set to white and the hoverover doesn't work

If we change it to another colour, the hover works but we don't want to change the colour from white as it impacts the rest of the theme.

by Gareth J Barnard -

by Gareth J Barnard -

Now broken the message menu sad - ggrrr, this **** theme!

by Gareth J Barnard -

Possibly finally sorted in https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/commit/ab70a8d3969c01186059d3ad4bbfd72edda277a5 - will be in next release being V2.8.1.6.

Care to donate to support continued development please?

by Animal the muppet -

Whoop! Great, thanks! Looking forward to test it out cool

I'd be happy to donate out of my own pocket! Unless there is any other pot, looks like this is the one? https://moodle.org/donations/ smile

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Lou, please look in the theme Readme file for donation details.  That is the Moodle HQ one.

by Animal the muppet -

Just an update - found the bug and fix!

If you set  theme_essential | themecolor to white, you don't get the hover over

Setting the colour to anything else works! smile

by Animal the muppet -

Seems like white is an issue. See pic

Attachment Untitled.jpg

by Mary Evans -

Have you tried leaving that colour out altogether? Just leave the space for the setting empty?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Animal the muppet -

Leaving it blank defaults to the essential blue colour #30add1

Maybe it's a bugaroonie?