MORECANDY Theme| Updated for Moodle 2.9

MORECANDY Theme| Updated for Moodle 2.9

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 22
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You can download it from HERE

Any problems please add them to this discussion.

Many thanks

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: MORECANDY Theme| Updated for Moodle 2.9

by Mark Hayes -

I attempted to install morecandy.
moodle 2.9.1 reports that the theme is dependent on -

theme_bootstrapbase (2015051100)
theme_clean (2015051100)

bootstrapbase and clean are Standard plugins.

moodle 2.9.1 reports that the 'current version' and the 'new version' for both bootstrapbase and clean is 2014111000.

How to get version 2015051100 for bootstrapbase and clean?

In reply to Mark Hayes

by Mark Hayes -

For the moment I am stuck on the 'Plugins check' page.

There is no option to delete the morecandy theme.
Removing the morecandy folder from /var/www/moodle/theme does not help either.

In reply to Mark Hayes

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

This sounds like you are already using the Morecandy theme.

You cannot delete a theme that you have selected to use.

Also it depends on what the Plugins check is telling you.

If you were already using the theme and you have removed the files from your server, then you are in gridlock as it will not work without the theme it respects as the 'default'.

So either you put back the files so that Moodle can reset itself and allow you to move on, or you can just Log out and let Moodle use the Clean theme which is the system default.

Once you have gained access over your Moodle site. You need to go to the theme selector and chose Clean theme. Then you can delete Morecandy.

I hope I have guessed correctly what has happened, as you did not say!

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Hayes -

Thanks for your quick reply Mary.

Back in April I upgraded moodle from 2.7.2 to 2.8.5. No issues.
Then I removed the older pre-Bootstrap themes and installed several bootstrap themes, including morecandy. 
I have been using the More theme since installing 2.8.5; I have not used morecandy.

A couple of days ago I updated moodle from 2.8.5 to 2.9.1. No issues.
Then I received a notification that there was an update to morecandy.
I installed the morecandy update and this is when the problem started. 

I removed the morecandy folder from moodle/theme hoping it would let me uninstall the theme from the plugins check page but it does not give me that option.
I have restored the morecandy folder to moodle/theme.

All along I have been using the More theme (have never used the morecandy theme).
Presently stuck on the 'Plugins check' page; the branding bar is not displayed so I cannot log out; there is no breadcrumb trail displayed so I cannot navigate off the page. 

(hope you can view the screen shot; I had to shrink it in order to get the size down.)

Just to confirm the moodle release#, I looked in moodle/version.php and can see -
$release = '2.9.1 (Build: 20150706)';

Attachment plugins-check-page3.png
In reply to Mark Hayes

by Mark Hayes -

Here is another screenshot so you can read the version numbers.

Attachment plugins.png
In reply to Mark Hayes

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mark Hayes -

Hi Gareth -

Reading your post triggered my memory. 
When doing the upgrade from 2.8.5 to 2.9.1 on my test system, I copied the theme sub-folders from moodle-2.8.5/theme to moodle-2.9.1/theme.

When doing that I think I may have copied the bootstrapbase folder also.

On my live system I can see from the plugins overview page that the following themes are Standard (not Additional) -
Base, Bootstrap Base, Canvas, Clean, More

I take it these themes are built-in and should be left alone when doing an upgrade?

In reply to Mark Hayes

by Mark Hayes -

Just downloaded another copy of the 2.9.1 .tgz file and looked in moodle/theme

I take it the blue folders should be left alone during an upgrade?

Attachment themes.png
In reply to Mark Hayes

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, in terms of not replacing them from the old version.  Only use the version from the core download.  However, even with contributed themes, they can break between M2.8 and M2.9, so better to get the new code from the developer.

by Mark Hayes -

Mary & Gareth -

I have restored the M2.9 files for the five Standard themes and everything seems to be back in order.
Many thanks for your help!

Gareth -

You mentioned "even with contributed themes, they can break between M2.8 and M2.9, so better to get the new code from the developer."
Get the code from the developer rather than from the plugin-downloads at moodle.org?

What to do in the future when upgrading moodle and there is not a corresponding version of a given theme/plugin?
Is it better to delay the  moodle upgrade and wait for plugins to catch up?
Or, do the moodle upgrade and remove incompatible plugins until they are ready?

In reply to Mark Hayes

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok....

By 'get from the developer' I mean any official place they publish the plugin.

When upgrading and there is not a corresponding version, then it's up to you what perceived level of risk you take.  In the first instance, contact the developer and ask if there is anything you can do to help.  I do recommend in all circumstances that you upgrade a test server first with your desired set of plugins and see if it works for you.  After that its your risk, so your decision.

In reply to Mark Hayes

by Gareth J Barnard -

Yes!  And that will be the problem.  Thus you are running the M2.8 versions of the themes within M2.9!  Get the correct versions here: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/tree/c948f378b9d7a819d2d430894fa9840cfe9b5590/theme - being the commit of the tagged 2.9.1 release: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/releases/tag/v2.9.1.

by Mark Hayes -

Can I simply copy the five sub-folders from the 2.9.1 .tgz file into my M2.9/theme folder?

In reply to Mark Hayes

by Mary Evans -

Hi Mark,

All of the information about upgrading can be found in this Moodle document called Upgrading.

If you have never read this before then I advise you to do so as soon as possible.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Hayes -

Thank you Mary; I have read those notes.

This most recent upgrade I just got myself in a twist for not distinguishing between Standard and Additional themes.
It is when plugins get incorporated into the Core and become Standard that one has to watch out for.

In reply to Mark Hayes

by Mary Evans -

I guess that's because themes have been grouped as a plug-in and yet core themes are not plugins as these become fixtures and can in most cases take on the role of parent, and thus become indispencible and un-plug able!

It is confusing I agree. However, Mark, you must not forget that even though these themes like Bootstrapbase, Clean and More themes reside in Moodle core, they are constantly being updated, and will continue to become more complex as Moodle developes and re-shapes.

As theme developers we are on a steep learning curve, and coding become almost adictive, and so we experiment, and get frustrated when things happen that are beyond our control.

We also become complaisant and forget that there are people out there whos knowledge of Moodle is different than ours. And so we assume that adding a theme is a piece of cake, and yet have forgotten our own dilemmas when first learning how to build a theme.

Anyway, I hope the Morecandy theme works OK now that you have it working in the right version Of Moodle?

Kind regard

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Mary,

RE: "core themes are not plugins".

I disagree, they are 'plugins' just from the same source as the supporting code.  They are listed as plugins within the administration area.

From a theme perspective it would be conceptually possible to operate Moodle with just the 'base' theme and another contributed theme which was a child of 'base'.  Therefore the other themes even though they come with Moodle core are still 'plugins'.  Technically 'base' is a plugin but there is a 'bug' where it has been 'coupled' within the theme API such that I don't believe it could be removed.  So 'tight' rather than 'loose' coupling in the software engineering sense.

Gareth

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Hayes -

Thanks for that Mary.
The problem is fixed now and I can use Morecandy.
Although, when I click on the home button I get the following error -

Attachment Selection_002.png
In reply to Mark Hayes

by Mary Evans -

Hi Mark,

So sorry about that little bug...I only realised after I had published it.

The two lines in morecandy/layout/includes/banner.php that are wrong need to be removed and replaced by these that are highlighted in green...

<?php
if ( $hasbrandicon ) {
    echo '<a class="brand" href="' . $CFG->wwwroot. '"></a>';
} else {
    echo '<a class="brand" href="' . $CFG->wwwroot. '"><i class="fa fa-home"></i></a>';
} ?>

I'm not quite sure how I came to make the mistake in the code...perhaps I was writing it and got distracted...whatever it was it should not have been there!

I'm on with some other minor corrections to the theme and should have an update in a couple of days or less depending on time.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Hayes -

Not a problem Mary. I can wait for the update.