Loophole in MCQ marking problem

Loophole in MCQ marking problem

by Mike Clarke -
Number of replies: 7

I am using version 2.8.1+

There is a problem with the way marks are rewarded when multiple answers are correct.

E.g.

I have a MCQ question a-e. 

a-d are correct answers and e is an incorrect answer. If the student selects all options, Moodle thinks that because they have selected all the right answers they have been correct and rewarded the mark despite selecting a wrong answer too.

This means that whenever there are multiple answers, students can select all and still get the marks.

Please advise.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Clarke

Re: Loophole in MCQ marking problem

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. Does the documentation on Multiple Choice question type help?

In reply to Mike Clarke

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mike, have you looked at setting a negative percentage for the incorrect answer to counteract the marks given for the correct answers? (scroll down the grade box on an answer option)

In reply to Marcus Green

by Mike Clarke -

Hi,

Thanks for you responses. I have looked at this but there would be no set value for a negative response. The student may answer 3 out of 4 correct choices plus an incorrect answer. If I were to do negative scoring, it would appear that they have done worse than they actually have. So, the marks would appear as if the student only answered 2 correct.

In reply to Mike Clarke

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
 I think that's OK personally. I used to be involved in multiple choice multi-answer exam marking in languages a few years back. What they did was, for every wrong answer they took away a mark gained from a correct answer. So if there were four possible answers, two right and two wrong, the student would get zero if they ticked all of them. I thought that was fair myself. What I tend to do when having multi-answer mcqs is to have the same number of right answers as wrong ones - so the correct answers (a) and (b) would get +50% each and (c) and (d) the incorrect answers would get -50% each (or however you wish to score it)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)