How do i enrol students into a category

How do i enrol students into a category

by rupert mackenzie -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, i have read the development thread on this and it seems there is no way, but I thought i wo0uild ask i9n case i am missing something. So, is there a way to add new users so they are all enrolled on courses within a category?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to rupert mackenzie

Re: How do i enrol students into a category

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. Does the documentation Category enrolments help?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chris Schembri Baldacchino -

Hi Mary,

At our institution, every member of staff has their own sandbox course where they can try out different Moodle features or to prepare a course which does not yet have a presence on our VLE. In order to make the context as realistic as possible, we use Category enrolments to enroll a dummy student into all such sandboxes. This worked quite well for us, since a dummy student was immediately enrolled whenever a sandbox course was (automatically) created.

We are currently revising how our operation model, among which we wish to enroll more than one dummy student to each sandbox (say, 10 dummy accounts).

We are aware that Moodle documentation states "Warning: The use of the category enrolments plugin may cause performance problems. If so, it is recommended that you use Cohort sync instead, though this will require a cohort sync enrolment method to be added to each course in the category."

Unfortunately the warning is quite vague. What kind of "performance problems" might we experience? Would we experience performance problems for the fact that the dummy student accounts never log in to Moodle? (i.e. they are just there for staff to be able to try out some features, such as Groups and Groupings etc). What signs should we look out for if we use Category enrolments again?

Any info would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

In reply to Chris Schembri Baldacchino

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm not aware of lots of people on these forums complaining about performance issues with category enrolments and if you are talking about a few dummy students, I would probably say  to give it a go and see if it works fine for you.