Procedure for upgrading or updating to a security release of Moodle

Procedure for upgrading or updating to a security release of Moodle

by Pooja Ambre -
Number of replies: 4

Dear All,

I am working on a Moodle project which started way back in 2013 and we had used Moodle 2.4.1 version during the installation. However, the application was not actively used across the organization but now the management team want to enforce the usage of it. For now we have the entire user base in the Moodle database and around 10 -15 courses installed since 2013.

Now that the platform is being actively looked into, the management team wants to ensure we have the latest stable version of Moodle running since we are now way behind Moodle's current stable version 2.9.

We have divided this entire thing into two halves:

1. Update moodle from 2.4.1 to 2.4.11 (ASAP)
2. Upgrade 2.4.11 to 2.9 (near term)

I browsed the net for a while but I could not figure out a procedure to simply update Moodle 2.4.1 to  2.4.11 (security update). Can you please asssit me with the following questions:

1. Can I update 2.4.1 to 2.4.11? If yes, what is the procedure? (Note: Our Moodle has been customized to fit some of the business needs)
2. Will the update from 2.4.11 to 2.4.11 be inclusive of all the intermediate security fixes?

Point #1 needs to be executed on urgent basis. Can you please advise and help me out in this? Looking forward for your cooperation.

Thanks,
Pooja

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pooja Ambre

Re: Procedure for upgrading or updating to a security release of Moodle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

1. https://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Upgrading. There's nothing special about upgrading within a branch. You have 2.4.1 and you will be using the new code 2.4.11. The instructions are just the same. 

If you made changes then you *should* have used some sort of version control. If you didn't then you need to find all the changes and re-make them in the new code. This time investigate 'Git'. It also makes upgrading substantially simpler.

2. Yes

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Pooja Ambre -

Hello Howard,

Thanks for your quick response!

Alright, so basically the effort required to upgrade to 2.4.11 or 2.9 is the same. I need to do find the difference in the files and and makes the change in the code base.

Do you foresee any issue if I directly upgrade to 2.9 then? Please advise and thanks again!Appreciated...

Regards,

Pooja

In reply to Pooja Ambre

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

No... but you *must* take a proper backup of the site first and, if you are at all worried, you should make a copy of the site and test the upgrade first. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Pooja Ambre -

Okay, clear. Thanks much Howard!