When and what version to upgrade to?!

When and what version to upgrade to?!

by Debbie Unterseher -
Number of replies: 1

We are currently on Moodle 2.6, and I would like to update at least once a year.  So I'm trying to decide what version to update to.  I am told by people who program that you should wait a year before you adapt a new version, so the bugs get worked out.  But if I do that, it's no longer being supported...

I also heard there were major gradebook problems when upgrading to Moodle 2.9 or 2.8.

Any suggestions/comments?!  Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Debbie Unterseher

Re: When and what version to upgrade to?!

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Any answer you get on this is going to be opinion. So here's what works for me:

I always apply security updates as soon as they come out. This has bit me once or twice but bugs are generally worked out quickly if there are any, and it's better than having to unhack the Moodle website.

I generally upgrade to the next version once or twice per year--to the "-1" version. So our next upgrade is scheduled in August and would be to Moodle 2.8.x. Only once did I upgrade to the current version and we ended up dealing with some major issues for a few months. So I won't risk it again unless management finds something they just have to have right now. Then I'll advise them of the risk before installing. Major bugs seem to get worked out before the next version is released, so if I stay a version behind, I'm supported and not bleeding edge.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)