Beautiful Moodle site

Beautiful Moodle site

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 51
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

https://learn.unitedforwildlife.org

Yes, that really is Moodle. Great work by someone.

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (15)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Beautiful Moodle site

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes - I guessed before I clicked the link that you were going to mention that one smile

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, beautiful site design indeed smile

Looks like it's by an Infrastructure as a Service agency: https://www.floream.com/

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Eoin McDonnell -

Hi Matt,

I'm the Head of Learning Technology at Floream.

We're not really service providers at all - software, infrastructure, or anything else.

We partner with leading brands to create shared products and platforms.

E.g. we partnered with Google to create Squared Online. They bring brand recognition and discipline expertise, we bring teaching operations, sales and marketing teams, platform, edtech op's, learning design, etc.

In this case, our team (Thomas Bell and Wil Procter primarily) designed the learning narrative and built the platform. With design from a sister company, Contentive, and wonderful aid from our dev team.

UfW provided subject expertise and content.

We create complimentary partnerships where our organisations capabilities complement our partners.

Thanks,

Eoin

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Frankie Kam -

Another screenshot:

One more:

Cheers,

Frankie 

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (9)
In reply to Frankie Kam

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
This is very much coursera.
wink
Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Here's the slideshare of the presentation at #mootieuk15 

Average of ratings: Very cool (8)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Frankie Kam -

This is bril! Thanks, Mary. "This presentation is a case-study showing what is possible with Moodle, using the plugin framework and no core hacks." Absolutely no core hacks? Amazing stuff! By the way, what's a plugin framework? What is the plugin framework used for UW's MOOC? 

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Moodle has/is a plugin framework.

The M in Moodle is modular. A lot of Moodle is made of plugins. Blocks, themes, course formats, etc.

They point is you can do a lot just with those plugins. No core changes.

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Thomas Bell -

Hi everyone,

Glad everyone likes the site. It's a project that I've led at Floream.

Any questions, ask away...

In reply to Thomas Bell

by Jeff White -

This site is a amazing! Any chance you might give a demo on how you built parts of the course and site? Maybe in an upcoming MOOC? I am particularly interested in the percentage progress gui and how your got the lessons to look like that!

I did see a you guys having a course format that is named cubegrid. I dont suppose that is going to show up in the Moodle plugins page anytime soon? 

In reply to Jeff White

by Tim Hunt -

Not related to this site, but at the UK Moodle Moot in London next month, my colleagues and I will be presenting about our beautiful new design for our Moodle courses:

1. https://mootieuk.moodlemoot.org/mod/data/view.php?d=5&rid=293
  2. https://mootieuk.moodlemoot.org/mod/data/view.php?d=5&rid=294

The second talk, in particular, will include some technical details.

In reply to Jeff White

Re: Beautiful Moodle site > Radial Course Progress

by Jerome Di Pietro -

ok, this is a bit hacky but as our Moodle is externally hosted we don't have much leeway on adding bespoke blocks or modules, so I came up with this...

Add an HMTL block on your course page (obviously you'll need Completion Progress turned on), and add the attached code snippet as HTML.

Be careful: the WYSIWYG editor (on our Moodle at least) strips out the <style> tag and its contents when you save, so you need to turn off the text editor and just use a plain text entry box.

How it works:

Uses CSS for styling the radial graph, as per:

https://medium.com/@andsens/radial-progress-indicator-using-css-a917b80c43f9#.u551bf7pm

github: https://github.com/andsens/blog-material/tree/master/radial-progress

Uses jQuery to count the number of Completion tickboxes (and whether ticked or not) - this works because of the way the Moodle DOM is written. First the central course content column is written to the DOM and then the left/right columns. So by the time you hit that script, the elements are ready to be counted. Binding an onclick to each tickbox allows for realtime updates to the graph.

Tested and working on Moodle 3.8 (older/newer versions may use different element names in the DOM so may not work, but the idea will be the same)

Screenshot of Moodle course page with radial progress

Average of ratings: Very cool (11)
In reply to Jerome Di Pietro

by Jeff White -

Thank you Jerome! Your example was simple enough for someone like me to get it working in 5 minutes smile. I didnt even realize you could make html do this in Moodle without having to make a plugin for it. 

Now to see if I can make the radial progress show completion in the Dashboard for multiple courses smile

by Mihai Bojonca -
Picture of Testers

Jerome, thank you for sharing the code.

When question not related, what theme, plugin or settings do you use for the collapsed topics ?

Thank you.

In reply to Mihai Bojonca

Re: Beautiful Moodle site > Radial Course Progress > Collapsed Topics formatting

by Jerome Di Pietro -

I don't have admin access on the site but I'm pretty sure it's Collapsed Topics:
https://moodle.org/plugins/format_topcoll

I've used CSS on the course page to make changes to the look and colours.

- same principle as before, add a label with a <style> tag  - this time at the top of the content page (in section-0) so that the style definitions take effect *before* the elements are attached to the DOM.

For example, to remove the default curved corners:

<style>/* remove curved corners on collapsed topic format */
.course-content ul.ctopics li.section .content .toggle,
.course-content ul.ctopics li.section .content.sectionhidden {
-moz-border-radius: 0;
-webkit-border-radius: 0;
border-radius: 0 !important;
}</style>

Average of ratings: Very cool (3)

Re: Beautiful Moodle site > Radial Course Progress > Collapsed Topics formatting

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all,

It is Collapsed Topics because of the 'ctopics' class in the CSS selector.

Also it is possible to set the border to 0 in the global plugin settings for the format without resorting to custom CSS.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Jerome Di Pietro -

ps. of course I should have typed "Tested and working on Moodle 2.8", in my original post !

by Federica Marra -

Hi Jerome,

your animation is amazing, especially because of all in CSS and without plugins!
I think we might use it in our courses to show progression to our participants.

A question for you however: I saw that in Moodle 2.8 the animation works perfectly (I am using Adaptable as theme).
But we will migrate soon to Moodle 3.0 and in the testing phase the animation looks like not working.

Any idea why?

(screenshot below)

Thanks!

In reply to Federica Marra

by Jerome Di Pietro -

Hi Frederica,

We've got a Moodle 3 upgrade coming up in the summer so it's definitely something I'll be looking into soon! I can't see your attached screenshot but my guess is that version3 has renamed  some of the DOM elements, specifically the completion tick boxes.

In my code the script is looking for these tick boxes as 'input[name=completionstate]' (input elements with the name 'completionstate') This might have changed in 3.0. You could try uncommenting the console.log debug messages in the code to see what's being picked up, i.e. if any of your completion tick boxes are being counted. If not, then the dial won't animate as it will remain at zero.

I can't off-hand see any real reason why the code for the css animation itself would stop working, but I'd have to try it out on an actual installation.

Hope that helps a little. I'll let you know more once I get my hands on our own testing server smile

by Federica Marra -

Hi Jerome,

thanks very much for your quick reply and great news! smile
Sorry for the screenshot, the drag and drop didn't work.. Please see it below.

The problem is with the entire circle in CSS more than the animation of progression.

I am not a big expert of CSS and I don't have access to our moodle server. I will try to play around with your code to see where the problem might be..
This behavior sounds a bit weird to me as well but I am pasting the same code (your CSS) in the same theme (Adaptable), the only difference is the moodle version.

by Jerome Di Pietro -

HI again. 

That's just printing out the contents of the percentages div (the one with the 'numbers class, which is set to to be hidden by the css).

I wonder if Moodle 3.0 has stricter settings with regards to what can be included within an HTML block? It seems as if it's stripping out the CSS declarations (and possibly also the Javascript?)

This isn't good news as far as my own update goes! Hopefully it's a site system setting that can be tweaked by the administrator, although you mentioned that you don't have access to this...

I must admit I've always been a bit surprised at how much you can add to these HTML blocks and in labels, and so I'm not massively surprised if, for security reasons, the Moodle devs had decided to make things stricter. On our own Moodle, CSS always gets stripped out if using the WYSIWYG editor, but Javascript for some reason remains untouched - which doesn't make sense and surely should be the other way around. But at least if using the plain text input box you can add all sorts of crazy code ( as per this example - including less and jquery within a block is, as I'd said, more than a bit hacky!)

Again, sorry but without access to an installation I can't really trouble shoot this. If you really want, you could send me a copy of the page source code - but I think that will just confirm what seems to be the problem, i.e. the CSS is being stripped out.

by C Behan -

Hi Jerome, Frederica,

FYI: I'm having the same issue as Frederica on a 2.8 site. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Catherine

In reply to C Behan

by Jerome Di Pietro -

Thanks for that info. Then my guess is that it is indeed a system setting. 

Frederica, I think your test 3.0 installation just happens to have a slightly different system settings to your 2.8

Catherine I'm assuming that you are pasting into the plain textbox? (not using the WYSIWYG editor)

by Federica Marra -
Hi Jerome,

could you give me and advise on the settings to check? (I am site administrator in our Moodle but not server administrator) I tried to look into the HTML settings and in the filters but I can't see any difference by now.

@ Cathrien, if you are pasting in the right editor instead, it might be the same problems I had when copying the code from github.
Be sure you copy all pieces of code: some lines do not appear immediately in Github and you have to make them visible.
If you paste Jerome's code in Notepad ++ you can follow the lines of the code better. To me it worked by removing the comments and the "+"

Hope this might help smile

by Just H -

First thing I'd check is "trusted user" settings in Site Policies: https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Site_policies#Enable_trusted_content

In reply to Just H

by Federica Marra -

Hi, thanks for the advice!
However these settings are the same in both websites. sad

by C Behan -

Ferderica, Just H and Jerome,

Thank you for your suggestions. I removed the comments as Ferderica suggested and like magic it worked! 

I also tested it out on my local install of 3.0 and it displayed there too, but haven't yet had a chance to test it out fully.

Just to be clear for others, I had to make my text editor the 'Plain Text' one in my preferences, and then, when editing the block, choose HTML from the dropdown list. I am attaching the 'commentless' file for others here if they want to use it.

Jerome, thank you for sharing this - it's great.

Average of ratings: Very cool (2)

by C Behan -

Hi Frederica,

Thanks again for the advice and effectively fixing my problem. 

However just to point out,  you don't need to add the code from github - the styling is all included in Jerome's html file. 

Catherine

Re: Beautiful Moodle site > Radial Course Progress > Update

by Jerome Di Pietro -

For those of you foolhardy enough to have given it a go, or like me, desperate enough to have to implement this kind of hack...

Having now used this code in a few courses, I've found that my first version only works for self-completion tickboxes (i.e. where completion is set by the student themselves).

Where completion is entirely driven by automatic criteria (such as grades, item view or participation) I've found that moodle doesn't use inputs to display the tickboxes. Instead images are used depending on completion state (completed pass, completed fail, etc.).

I've attached an update of the script to handle both completion types. (Two versions, with and without code comments as I gather that some of you have found inline comments break the script on your installations) 

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Jerome,

I adapted your previous work for Pioneer and Flexibase themes and did it in such a way so its using the database record of completion and that will recognise all completions not just the self-ticked ones.

Also adapted it for a radial display of course grades.

That enabled Chris (Pioneer) and myself to add your ideas into the theme header, rather than as a block.

Thanks for the great work!

Richard

by Federica Marra -

Hi Jermone,

thanks a lot for updating the code and the checkings. I think we had problems because we use only automatic criteria for the completion of resources, therefore the old code was giving problems.

I tested the new code on Moodle 2.8+ and it works perfectly!

In reply to Thomas Bell

by Sebastian Zapata -

Thomas! I'm am actually working on our university Moodle, and we are planning to make a complete redesign of it (like yours).

I wonder how many pleople did you lead and their respective professional skills to make this beautiful design. How much time did that development take? 

Thanks for you help. Regards!

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Thomas Bell -

No core hacks indeed, but plenty of work done with the following plugin types:

• auth
  • theme
  • course formats
  • blocks
  • availability restrictions
  • local.. 
Average of ratings: Very cool (6)
In reply to Thomas Bell

by Anant Sahni -

Hi Thomas,

By now, you must have already got loads of appreciation of your work. !!

Its really awesome.

We are also trying our bit to Modify moodle. Wanted some heads-up in terms of which theme/Course Formats did you modify to reach that effect.

Any other pointers/tips would be really helpful.

Thanks & Regards

Anant Sahni

In reply to Thomas Bell

by Derek Chirnside -

auth, theme, blocks etc I understand.

But what about course format?  What have you done there?

Anything to help ease navigation woes?

-Derek

In reply to Thomas Bell

by Sali Kaceli -

Great design and use of Moodle indeed on the UnitedWildlife site. Is there a way to purchase this or a variation of this theme? The lesson structure looks really powerful and effective for learning. It definitely puts the module on another level. 

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Paul Rettey -

It was great to see the team here at Floream bring this site to life. Great direction and great structure,

In reply to Paul Rettey

by David Aylmer -

It's great to see you wearing a helmet in your profile picture!

(Heroes wear helmets...)

(Hey... Atto should really be scraping OG tags from links in the editor view by now. Has anyone worked on that yet?)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Yvette Drager -

Truly a lovely site.

Is there any further documentation (apart from your SlideShare) that your company can share?

Cheers

Yvette

In reply to Tim Hunt

by David Dunn -

That's an inspiring example. Another one that I've been impressed with is https://elearning.elevatehealth.eu

The developers offer a sneak-peek via a demo course that was presented last year at a competition of Ed-tech projects at Dutch universities. You can log in using

surfchallenge

Elevate@2014

The design is very user-friendly and bears close resemblance to other customized online platforms, with the simple step progression, timing and discussions highlighted.

One feature I particularly liked was the teacher dashboard, which can be viewed in slide 39 of the Elevate presentation at the Surf Challenge.

In reply to David Dunn

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi David -

Do you know what plug-ins are used for this example? Is this a custom course format?

mike

In reply to David Dunn

by Derek Chirnside -

David, I have the same question as Mike.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by David Dunn -

Apologies Mike and Derek for the absurd delay in responding. Short answer is, yes, it is a custom setup. The people at Elevate are very open to sharing their work, commercially, at least.

HTH.

David

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Christabel Benoit -

Great site, I love the design and fucntionality almost as much as I love the idea behind it smile

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Melanie Dillmon -

I've been wanting to beautify my company's Moodle site since I started working with it!! How might I go about doing this?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There are some really nice looking Moodle site out there. 

Here is a different looking Moodle theme that I did for the Government of Canada just over a couple of years ago. The site is fully bilingual (English/French) and WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliant:

Screenshot of the publichealth.gc.ca/training Moodle site.

Visit the site at: https://training-formation.phac-aspc.gc.ca/

Best regards,

Michael Milete