Overwhelmed Beginner

Overwhelmed Beginner

by B. Wilson -
Number of replies: 2

I have been testing Moodle in an XAMPP (Apache Server) environment.  It's not online, but I have been trying to figure a number of Moodle things:

1) Is Moodle a CMS?

2) As a computer help desk tech/webmaster, I can figure out a most software, hardware, content, etc.  Moodle appears to be designed like a Linux OS: you have to be a programmer to figure it out.  Any places online with easy, step-by-step instructions or videos on Moodle site creation?

3) Any reason why there appears to be disorganization at this site?  I have been trying to find a file/folder called theme_boost for version 3.2 and for the life of me I cannot find it.

Moodle seems like a good application.  The installation of the core program was easy, but themes, setting up pages and other customization seems WAY too difficult.  A little help here.  ;-(

Average of ratings: -
In reply to B. Wilson

Re: Overwhelmed Beginner

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello and welcome!

Moodle is more of a LMS (we like to say learning platform) rather than a CMS like Wordpress.

You could start with our documentation - here is the Admin quick guide and here is he Teacher quick guide I'm not quite sure what you mean by having difficulty trying to find  a folder for themeboost - if you have Moodle 3.2 already installed it should be in there. You've posted to the Lounge, a place for social chat - and that is fine - but if you would like more specific (or technical) help then I can move your post to the Installation forum instead? Let me know.

Admins can  make courses and then teachers can add activities to them - from a teacher point of view there are many videos on our Youtube channel. Here is a playlist of beginner teacher walk throughs -they may or may  not be useful to you

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to B. Wilson

Re: Overwhelmed Beginner

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

1. As Mary says, it's not the intention. It's to provide course-based learning resources created by teachers delivered to students.

2. No you don't. It obviously (like any web-based software) takes a bit of skill to install and optimise (for live use anyway) but you absolutely don't need developer skills to use it. 

3. I don't understand your question. In Moodle 3.2, if you want to find the code for the theme Boost, it is under theme/boost/ (in your Moodle install). Which seems pretty logical to me. 

Having said all that - we'd be very happy to help if you have (more) specific questions wink