showing square brackets in the wiki page.

showing square brackets in the wiki page.

Adam Burton -
Atsakymų skaičius: 4
Hello,

I am making a page on a wiki about how to make pages on the wiki.

How can I show double square brackets without them being understood by the software as to be indication of a link?

I have searched and searched on-line but have found nothing.

Is there an 'escape character' for this sort of thing?

Thank you for your help, bye,

Adam.

Įvertinimų vidurkis: -
Atsakymas į Adam Burton

Re: showing square brackets in the wiki page.

AL Rachels -
Core developers paveikslėlis Particularly helpful Moodlers paveikslėlis Plugin developers paveikslėlis Testers paveikslėlis

Hi Adam,

Have you tried just using a picture like the following?

Atsakymas į AL Rachels

Adam Burton -

Hello AL,

I had not thought of that. But I feel as though that might be a bit too much effort when their must surely be a simple way of doing this - for this exact purpose - showing people how to use the Wiki on a Wiki.

I have figured out a solution that involves using the HTML code for squarebrackets. I tried it on the forum here when I was writing the above post but it did not work. Eventually I got tired of looking on-line for a solution and tried the HTML on the Sandbox Demo and it worked.

The HTML for a left square bracket is [
The HTML for a right square bracket is [

I am still keen to know if there is an 'escape character' for this. If there is not then there ought to be.

Thank you for the suggestion AL.

Bye,
Adam.

Atsakymas į Adam Burton

AL Rachels -
Core developers paveikslėlis Particularly helpful Moodlers paveikslėlis Plugin developers paveikslėlis Testers paveikslėlis

Hi Adam,

Pictures are my standard way for doing things like that. I have been doing it for so many years and save them in a logical folder structure so that they are very easy to find and put into use. When I do have to make a new photo of something it is just a three key combination, then click and drag to define the picture area on screen, using SnagIt screen capture program.

If you are dead set against using a picture, you can also just put a space between the brackets, but then you will need to teach your students that the space needs to be left out in actual use.

HTH,

AL

Atsakymas į AL Rachels

Adam Burton -
Hello AL,
oddly enough, that was exactly the solution I decided upon - space between with advice to remove the space.
I see what you mean about the image making procedure but I am not planning on doing much of it. I just need to make a page on the wiki to explain how to make wiki pages. I cannot find a good one in the Moodle documentation.

Thank you for all of your advice.
Bye,
Adam.