showing square brackets in the wiki page.

showing square brackets in the wiki page.

by Adam Burton -
Number of replies: 4
Hello,

I am making a page on a wiki about how to make pages on the wiki.

How can I show double square brackets without them being understood by the software as to be indication of a link?

I have searched and searched on-line but have found nothing.

Is there an 'escape character' for this sort of thing?

Thank you for your help, bye,

Adam.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Burton

Re: showing square brackets in the wiki page.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Adam,

Have you tried just using a picture like the following?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Adam Burton -

Hello AL,

I had not thought of that. But I feel as though that might be a bit too much effort when their must surely be a simple way of doing this - for this exact purpose - showing people how to use the Wiki on a Wiki.

I have figured out a solution that involves using the HTML code for squarebrackets. I tried it on the forum here when I was writing the above post but it did not work. Eventually I got tired of looking on-line for a solution and tried the HTML on the Sandbox Demo and it worked.

The HTML for a left square bracket is [
The HTML for a right square bracket is [

I am still keen to know if there is an 'escape character' for this. If there is not then there ought to be.

Thank you for the suggestion AL.

Bye,
Adam.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Adam Burton

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Adam,

Pictures are my standard way for doing things like that. I have been doing it for so many years and save them in a logical folder structure so that they are very easy to find and put into use. When I do have to make a new photo of something it is just a three key combination, then click and drag to define the picture area on screen, using SnagIt screen capture program.

If you are dead set against using a picture, you can also just put a space between the brackets, but then you will need to teach your students that the space needs to be left out in actual use.

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Adam Burton -
Hello AL,
oddly enough, that was exactly the solution I decided upon - space between with advice to remove the space.
I see what you mean about the image making procedure but I am not planning on doing much of it. I just need to make a page on the wiki to explain how to make wiki pages. I cannot find a good one in the Moodle documentation.

Thank you for all of your advice.
Bye,
Adam.