Creating a wiki.

Creating a wiki.

by Adam Burton -
Number of replies: 9
Hello,
would someone mind going through the steps of creating a wiki using the sandbox demo?
I am using a moodle site called ZSchool that has a wiki but it comes up with an error - "Create page permission needed" - and I cannot find any information about this error anywhere.

I managed to recreate the issue in the sandbox but I do not understand what the problem is.

If you are familiar with Moodle, would you mind setting up a wiki in the sandbox demo and seeing if this problem is occurring for you? If it is not then please post here the procedure for setting it up without this problem.

Thank you so much for your help.

Bye,

Adam.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Burton

Re: Creating a wiki.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Adam,

The error means that the role that the user has does not have the mod/wiki:createpage capability. The capability is allowed for the default roles of manager, teacher, non-editing teacher and student. Is the wiki is on the front page of your site? If so, you'll need to allow this permission for the role of authenticated user on frontpage. Please see the documentation Permissions for more details.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Adam Burton -
Hello Helen,
thank you, I think I understand. Yes, the wiki is on the front page.

I am working in the Sandbox Demo to figure these things out.

I cannot find much information in the Permissions documentation about frontpage and either the Sandbox Demo is outdated, or the wording of the documentation is slightly wrong because some of the instructions do not match up.

However, whilst looking through the list of Administration options I found under Site Administration > Front page > Front page settings - an option for 'Default frontpage role'. It was set to Authenticated user on front page (frontpage) by default and I changed it to Student (student). The other option is Guest (guest).

This seems to have made the Wiki in the Sandbox Demo available.
Is this what you meant?

Bye,
Adam.
In reply to Adam Burton

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Adam,

Good to hear that you are making use of the sandbox demo to figure things out. The site uses the latest stable version of Moodle, so if anything doesn't work, it means the documentation needs improving or you have discovered a bug. wink

In this case, it seems the documentation needed improving, and so I added a section 'Front page permissions' to Permissions. Please shout if anything is unclear.

However, it seems you found an alternative solution, namely changing the default front page role. Well done! smile

In reply to Helen Foster

by Adam Burton -
Hello Helen,
that is good to hear.
Thank you so much for adding this to the documentation.
I tried to follow the front page permissions instructions but I unfortunately could not get it to work. I am probably doing it wrong but would you mind, if you have the time (sorry for bothering you with this), going into the Sandbox, first as admin: create a wiki on the front page and change permissions for it following the instructions. Then login as a student and see if you can edit that wiki.
I could not but as I say I might have not followed the instructions properly. I will try again.
Sorry again if this is a bit boring, or nagging, it is not intended to be so. I am trying to figure this out properly because I do not know what I am doing and I want to be sure that the setting I have suggested be changed at ZSchool does not have any ill-effects elsewhere.

Thank you for all of your help.
Adam.
In reply to Adam Burton

by Adam Burton -

Sorry, to be clear:

In the Sandbox Demo, Students already have permission to create new wiki pages so there is nothing to change there.

Front page wikis are still inaccessible in the Sandbox, by default it seems to me, unless I am missing something - which is highly likely.

Bye,
Adam.

In reply to Adam Burton

by Helen Foster -

Thanks Adam for your feedback and no need to apologise for anything. Please keep posting your questions. smile

I tried going to the sandbox demo and following the instructions and realised that as well as needing to allow the capability to create new wiki pages, other wiki capabilities needed to be allowed too. Sorry for the confusion. blush

Thus I realised that your solution of changing the default front page role to student was a lot simpler! I have edited the Permissions documentation to remove the confusing bit, and your solution is mentioned in Front page FAQ as an answer to 'How do I enable logged-in users to participate in front page activities?'.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Adam Burton -

Hello Helen,

thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
Please do not apologise for the confusion. It is a complex system, constantly developing. I understand that there are going to be problems with documentation.

Based on your knowledge of Moodle, can you foresee any problems arising from changing the frontpage setting in this way?

I am going to post another question about Glossary terms being linked to on Wiki pages. If you happen to be able to help on that then please do.

All the best,

Adam.

In reply to Adam Burton

Re: setting default front page role to student

by Helen Foster -

Can you foresee any problems arising from changing the frontpage setting (changing default front page role to student) in this way?

That's a good question! You're maybe wondering what the point is of an 'Authenticated user on frontpage' role?

In general with roles and permissions, for maximum peace of mind, you should only allow capabilities for things you want users to be able to do. Most sites don't have front-page activities for logged in users to participate in (activities are are only in courses, where users have the role of student or teacher), thus the 'Authenticated user on frontpage' role is sufficient.

I can't imagine you having any problems with the front page role set to student if you check carefully what you want users to be able to do or not do. For example, if you have a standard forum on the front page, do you want everyone to be able to start discussions there or post replies?

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: setting default front page role to student

by Adam Burton -

Hello Helen,

that is good to know, thank you.

Just having trouble with the "anyone on this site" publishing option on blogs now. I will post something here when I have a coherent question.

Bye,
Adam.