Question about using Xcache with Moodle 2.8

Question about using Xcache with Moodle 2.8

by Robert Blomeyer -
Number of replies: 1

My moodle installation was recently migrated to a new server by my host.

Newer versions of PHP and MySQL (MariaDB) supported upgrading from 2.6.8 all the way to 2.8.5.

Our new server host unfortunately doesn't support OPcache. But does support Xcache.

I've read the available discussions & documentation concerning caching and moodle 2.8.

The bottom line seems to be that 2.8 doesn't appear to support the Xcache plugin.

Some o pre-release discussions I read between moodle' s developers concerning which cache plugins should be supported in the 2.8 release suggested that Xcache worked pretty well with tested pre-release versions.

My host needs Xcache to support another clent's web app. And he's not crazy about the idea of configuring PHP  with redundant cache plugins.

Can I install and configure Xcache to work with moodle 2.8.5? Or should I abandon the idea of using caching altogether?

Thanks,

Dr. Bob Blomeyer

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Blomeyer

Re: Question about using Xcache with Moodle 2.8

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Robert,
XCache could be used in Moodle as opcode cacher while it is still pending if it could be used for MUC (ONLY for single front-end installations), MDL-37069.

At the moment, AFAIK, there are no known issues in using XCache (or APC). That being said, Moodle supports opcache even for invalidating the files caching when updating the code (details in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=261775#p1135820 ): to be fair with the Moodle way of using some PHP files for vital data just use xcache.stat = On.

Do NOT deploy Moodle w/o a (stable) opcode cacher.

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)