Externally hosted database server as backend (Backup) in moodle

Externally hosted database server as backend (Backup) in moodle

by Parth Patel -
Number of replies: 4

Hello all,

Please help me to setup the externally hosted database server as back-end (backup) im moodle.This database should also sync with original database.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Parth Patel

Re: Externally hosted database server as backend (Backup) in moodle

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Your question is unclear. Is it about http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1163216/database-cluster-and-load-balancing ? That happens outside of Moodle, you can not expect help here in the Moodle community forums.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Parth Patel -
Thank you sir for your reply,
I want to setup a backup system for my moodle system at my institute so i want to add one another host server to store and update (sync) database. Whenever the original database get crashed then this backup server should take the load.
I have heard that moodle is providing this type of facility by adding something codes into configure file is it true ? or i need to do something else ?
In reply to Parth Patel

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Parth

No, I am not aware of a method of making a Moodle backup server by editing config.php nor of any other Moodle-specific instructions of running a synchronized (hot) backup server. Have a look at the page https://docs.moodle.org/en/Server_cluster on Moodle Docs, whether it might help. You could search the forums for "fail-over", "server cluster", "hot backup", etc. in the Advanced search which you'll find in the main Moodle english course page.
In reply to Parth Patel

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

OK Parth, this is what you have to do.

Creating a fail over cluster requires investment, as even when using MySQL as free database, their clustering requires an amount to spent (clustering MySQL is not free),

the other method that you can use is, Master-Slave replication, where one server is used at one time, and slave server will be just copying the database from Master database, this is not an automated switch over in case of failure, you have to manually change the URL to slave server, but at least it gives some level of redundancy. This can be achieved easily and for FREE. all you need is 2 independent servers (can be VM's too).

Although now a days hardware failures is a minimal chance, but it can happen, at first place, make your master server redundant with RAID configuration.