1and1.com + windows VPS + moodle = ???

1and1.com + windows VPS + moodle = ???

by ryan sanders -
Number of replies: 9

splitting it up in multi posts to make it easier to read. ((assume initial first rough draft)) 

See attachments in later posts.

=====================================

some things. to make your nightmare easier....

get a SSL certificate when you get package. windows 2008 server. with plesk / parrallels panel /w one static IP address. 4 cpus, 2 gig ram is what i am working with.

you get 3 options...

1) some_number_and_letters.onlinehome-server.com = remote desktop sign in. 

• ((google "remote desktop windows __your_version___" ))
  • adjust settings of remote desktop application
  • (display tab) pixels / resolution =   800x600 = working on dialup,  1024x768 = good enough, anything bigger and pressuing for bandwidth issues))
  • (display tab) colors = 15 bit. it does not look pretty, but faster
  • (remote aduio / sound) = turn sound off (faster)
  • (local devices and resources ) click more / options = smart cards, ports, drives, other supported stuff.   check mark them all.  the bigger advantage of being able to "drag and drop" in file explorer from your laptop/desktop. onto your windows server. and everything done automatically. 
  • (experience / bandwidth), select your speed. but advised, only having "desktop composition" and "visual styles" clicked.  along with "persistent bitmap caching," 
  • rest of settings. should not really matter. *within reason* 

2) https://xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4643/vz/cp = were xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is static IP you get. = parallels control panel.

• this is pretty much useless. the only thing good about it. is if you lose control of... over remote desktop, or loose control over plesk link. you can goto this link. and click "restart" or go into repair mode / safe mode. 

3) https://xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443/  = were xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is static IP you get. = plesk control panel 

• this is where most of settings take place.  beyond remote-desktop. 

TIP: get SSL certificate made up and put into Plesk control panel. ASAP (as soon as possible)  makes life easier. and no need to deal with 2 minute https time outs, after SSL certificate is correctly installed. 

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Tuesday, 17 March 2015, 3:52 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ryan sanders

Re: 1and1.com + windows VPS + moodle = ???

by ryan sanders -

SSL CERTIFICATE + INITIAL SETUP

HINT: there is a lot of "find and click stuff on a page"   press CTRL + F key, in firefox, chrome, IE (does not matter all the same)). and then type something in and press enter, generally the "find on page" box shows up in the upper right hand corner of screen, with some up and down arrows. to allow you to easily press arrows to move through the page faster. 

(doing this by memory) See attachment

(Edited by Mary Cooch to replace remaining content with an attachment - original submission Tuesday, 17 March 2015, 3:52 PM)

In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -

the FUN PART!  updating PLESK AND PARALLELS software.  time to see if it makes or breaks things. 

NOTE: from now on just giong to say https://yoursite.com:8443  vs https://xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443/  ((denote the :8443)) for plesk control panel

1) goto https://yoursite.com:8443 and login in.

2) top of page = servers (( "websites & Domaons", "Mail", "applications", "files", "file sharing "statictis", "server", users", "myprofile".

2.1) click on "UPDATES AND UPGRADES"

2.2) DO NOT INSTALL EXTRA CRUD,  extra stuff = format and reinstall everything from scratch, has been my experience.

2.3) ONLY CHECK IF THERE ARE UPDATES. before for warned, a couple updates on linux setup, has caused me issues. and 1 update (happened during time i was going through things initially with windows VPS, result = wiped me out and had to start from scratch. 

2.4) doing this now if there are updates. before starting to install other software.

2.5) it may not state it, but always "restart the machine"

2.5.1) top of page = servers (( "websites & Domaons", "Mail", "applications", "files", "file sharing "statictis", "server", users", "myprofile".

2.5.2) click "RESTART SERVER"

In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -

MYSQL DATABASE UPGRADING / CHECKING!

(see attachment)

(Edited by Mary Cooch to replace content with an attachment - original submission Tuesday, 17 March 2015, 3:53 PM)

In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -

WEBSITES AND DOMAINS tab

1) goto https://yoursite.com:8443

2) top of page = websites & Domaons (( "websites & Domaons", "Mail", "applications", "files", "file sharing "statictis", "server", users", "myprofile".

3) click "HOST SETTINGS"

3.1) enter "YOURSTE.COM"

3.2) select your PREFERRED DOMAIN from drop down menu

3.3) check mark SSL SUPPORT, then select SSL CERTIFICATE you installed earlier.

3.4) check mark for PHP SUPPORT, then FASTCGI from drop down menu, then finally 5.5.x for PHP VERSION

3.5) check marks for (CGI SUPPORT..PERL SUPPORT...PYTHON SUPPORT,.... ADDTIONAL WRITE/MODIFY PERMISSIONS)

3.6) click OK

4)  top of page = websites & Domaons (( "websites & Domaons", "Mail", "applications", "files", "file sharing "statictis", "server", users", "myprofile".

4.1) click "PHP SETTINGS"

4.2) memory limit custom = 512M

4.2.1) i set mine to 512M, but i may be wrong here. and a lower value such as 128M is min that is needed for moodle 2.8 / 2.9  versions?! google / ask to confirm

4.3) max_execution_time custom = 120

4.3.1) i have seen it from 60, 90, and 120 when googling and searching moodle forums.  mainly when it comes to dealing with "BACKUPS" to note i am using this as "hosted tested server" so i could care less, for a little longer delay.

4.4) max_inpute_time custom = 120

4.4.1) again 60, 90, 120,  and within googling and searching moodle forums, and mainly when dealing with "BACKUPS" only true way is actual getting in and testing things out.

4.5) post_max_size and upload_max_file_size  suggested setting them to 1000M

4.6) include_path and session.save_path  NEED TO DEAL WITH LATER once MOODLE IS INITIALLY SETUP.

4.6.1) SO I CAN SEE MY NOTES FOR ABOVE LATER ON WERE TO FIND THIS INFORMATION

4.7) register_globals and short_open_tag = off

4.8) everything else you can leave to defaults. 

4.9) click OK

In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -

TESTING MOODLE -> via AUTO INSTALLER

1)  goto https://yoursite.com:8443

2) top of page = websites & Domaons (( "websites & Domaons", "Mail", "applications", "files", "file sharing "statictis", "server", users", "myprofile".

3) click on "APPPLICATIONS"

3.1) click on "ALL AVAILABLE APPLICATIONS"

3.2) search for "MOODLE"

3.3) select "CUSTOM INSTALL" from drop down menu

3.3.1) THIS IS REQUIRED -------> CUSTOM INSTALL

(Edited by Mary Cooch to replace the remaining content with an attachment re[- original submission Tuesday, 17 March 2015, 3:54 PM)

In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -

I HAVE YET TO ACTUALLY GET MOODLE INSTALLED. beyond the auto install application through plesk. 

(Edited by Mary Cooch  to replace content with an attachment- original submission Tuesday, 17 March 2015, 3:58 PM)

In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -

some issues in my previous posts.

(Edited by Mary Cooch to add content as an attachment - original submission Tuesday, 24 March 2015, 1:51 PM)

In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -

i typed up a week or so back but been waiting to post it.... 

below has more todo with various issues and notes not directly dealing with installation of moodle itself. 

(Edited by Mary Cooch to add content as an attachment  - original submission Tuesday, 24 March 2015, 1:53 PM)

In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -
misc links.  collected before i realized about php_settings -> open_dir -> set to "none"

some other info might be useful to someone else. so just dumping these here.

(Edited by Mary Cooch to add content as an attachment - original submission Tuesday, 24 March 2015, 3:21 PM)