Moodle Archiving Process

Moodle Archiving Process

by Daniel Parker -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all,

My institution is investigating setting up archive instances for previous academic years. I've seen other institutions do this; however, I'm not sure about a good, obvious process. I've been discussing it with our head IT guy and the scenario he envisions is we clone our current instance (2014-15), create a fresh install (likely a newer version of Moodle as well), and then import needed courses and relevant db information (admin settings, etc) into the fresh install. He sees this as an opportunity to clean up...

However, I'm thinking this won't work as there may be issues importing courses from an old Moodle version into a newer version. My solution (which I think is the standard solution) would be to simply clone our current Moodle instance and then upgrade the instance. This way, we get a real upgrade and we don't have to worry about importing courses from different Moodle versions. 

However, our production server would still contain the old courses that are now archived. So, I guess my question would be, does anyone have experience creating archive instances, and if so, which approach do you take? Is there an easy way to get rid of old classes on the production server?

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Parker

Re: Moodle Archiving Process

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Daniel,

No real experience with archiving instances but my gut feeling would be to go with your suggestion and delete any courses from the upgraded one which were no longer required...

HTH
Jon

In reply to Jon Witts

Re: Moodle Archiving Process

by Daniel Parker -

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think that is the way we will go, although IT really wants to purge the server. smile 

Now I just need a good way delete the courses that are no longer required.