[2.8] BUG: separate groups not working in database module

[2.8] BUG: separate groups not working in database module

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Separate groups are not working in the database module. See here for more information:

MDL-49467

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: [2.8] BUG: separate groups not working in database module

by Itamar Tzadok -
It has been suggested that this is expected behavior. However, all activity modules seem to work differently. For example, when an assignment is uploaded by a student it will be visible in all groups the student is a member of.

Maybe all the other activity modules which work differently are at fault. I guess it depends on which concept of group you apply. If what you describe about the assignment module is accurate then to me it would be a bug.

Consider the following case:

• Group A
    • Student 1
    • Student 2
  • Group B
    • Student 1
    • Student 3

By your logic if Student 1 submits an entry in Group A, this entry should be visible to Student 3 in Group B. But since it is a group work, the entry may relate to content submitted by or discussed with Student 2 in Group A. If that content becomes available to Student 3 by means of the entry submitted by Student 1, it appears to me that it would defeat the whole idea of separate groups.

smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I see where you are going, but... we already have group assignments in the assignment module smile

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Itamar Tzadok -

We have group assignments in the Dataform module, which allows for far more complex assignment structures, e.g. multiple submission types in the same entry and timed workflow. With this module we can deliver collaborative assignments such as Group Peer Review, alongside standard assignments. smile

Which module one uses for group assignments doesn't change the reasoning I have proposed. If you apply separate groups mode and allow content from one group to be available to a different group without the consent of all members of the originating group, you break the integrity of the assignment.

smile