Pedagogical differences between 1.7 and 2.t

Pedagogical differences between 1.7 and 2.t

by Chris Brown -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all,  I'd be really grateful if someone could summarize any key pedagogical differences between 1.7 and 2.5. As far as I can see the core differences are in 'look and feel'  and fe management.  From purely what can be offered to the learner in a course,  what are any key differences?  Many thanks. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Brown

Re: Pedagogical differences between 1.7 and 2.t

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm going to move your post to the Teaching with Moodle forum - since you mentioned pedagogy smile And then we'll see what others have to suggest. I'd say one big feature is the addition of restricted access based on completion of earlier activities -which might or might not suit your pedagogical preferences depending. See Conditional activities (That is the latest version, 2.8. If your version is 2.5 then you need to see https://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Conditional_activities )

In reply to Mary Cooch

by dawn alderson -

...and what is meant by pedagogy here please?

In reply to dawn alderson

by Chris Brown -

Hi there

Thanks for the response.  Sorry for being unclear.  I really mean anything that is a change in what the learner experiences. 

For example,  I know there are conditional activities in 2.5, which I would consider to be a pedagogical difference.  However,  the changes in file management I would consider to be administrative rather than Pedagogic. 

We are currently in the process of moving from a Moodle 1.7 platform to a combined Moodle2.5 and Mahara set up. 

The reason I asked,  is that while we are in transition it would be operationally more straightforward to create any new course in the old Moodle and then copy them across to the new set up.  However,  if there is any functionality (pedagogical rather than administrative) that it would be advantageous to use,  then this would make us rethink the strategy. Do you think there is anything that is so improved as to make it pedagogically imperative to use 2.5?

Hope this is  clear,  the situation within our organisation is rather complex. 

In reply to Chris Brown

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Chris Brown

by dawn alderson -

Chris,

First things first, there is no need to apologise.

You are still unclear, however.

When you say:

I really mean anything that is a change in what the learner experiences...this could mean anything! Like navigation/accessibility around the moodle site for example. 

And

When you say:  I know there are conditional activities in 2.5, which I would consider to be a pedagogical difference: Why is this considered a pedagogical difference? Not letting the student access stuff until you decide they can....because they completed this or that or not of course...well what exactly does that mean for L&T eh?...I am not getting that point.

And I don't understand posts that mean nothing...just posted on the hoof and that is that without any elaboration, reasoning for practice or logic! Now I will apologise for my pointed stance here.

You are quite correct when you say: the changes in file management I would consider to be administrative rather than Pedagogic. I agree with you.

You have now raised a different issue here, in terms of moving courses and that process (I see Alan has posted some very useful titbits there for you Chris).  I know there is a doc somewhere, goodness knows where, about moving stuff from one LMS to another or (stuff from A to B versions)....maybe Google that too-it might be helpful.

As for which version of moodle is best for your needs, I know you can go to the Docs and find detail for each version that includes established and new additions/features, this is very helpful in terms of how you might use the tools in one version or another to aid your pedagogical practices.