Educational gaming for Moodle.

Educational gaming for Moodle.

by john Simpson -
Number of replies: 75

There has been the question of introducing games for students on moodle, and I'm sure this will keep coming up. Of course we already have our quizes, crosswords, Snakes and ladders, mix n match etc. It would be nice to be able to have some games like this to be shown, easily available free on your desktop.http://gcompris.net/index- n.html But can such selected games be used on moodle, great for young learners, or those learning English or another language as beginners. Even better if you are capable of designing your own.

I've just notice these blender 3d tutorials, only thing is if there could be a format available to export the game to moodle.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to john Simpson

Re: Educational gaming for Moodle.

by ryan sanders -
https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Game_Logic_in_Moodle is an attempt to work towards being able to let game developers better access to moodle. but also at same time extend things for regular activities / resources within moodle. 

it is just not "blender" it is unity3d, construct 2, flash games, and other html5 / canvase games. along with say http://www.steampowered.com and being able to give game developers a framework / API,  to pull user names, grades, tests questions / answers, books (html / pdf, other), into games and much more, and being able to use them as part of a game.  

in the video you posted... sensor, controller, actuator, is the primary notation of the video. in https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Game_Logic_in_Moodle -> advanced editor pages, the mention of...events, conditions, actions,  would be same thing as sensors, controller, actuator. just labeling them differently. 

https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Game_Logic_in_Moodle -> skill tree editor  is a push towards how a person might level up in a game, or regular actual real life skills (being able to read at different levels, being able to do bigger math problems, etc...).    vs just being able to pickup and user a bigger weapon in a game. 

========================

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Tukkun/kana-warrior

game creator may not have a clue about another language. or how to adjust game speed for a certain age... but... little bit change for a teacher in moodle. and everything connects, letting teacher act more like a administrator / manager vs actual game developer.  is what i am looking at... for a game like above link. 

In reply to ryan sanders

by john Simpson -

It is not just Blender? What other professional quality game/movie maker works well with LInux, windows and MAC, and doesn't cost you anything. There is no free trial with Blender, as it is already free (FOSS) just like moodle. just click the download button, and it is installed on your desktop within two minutes, no questions asked, not even your email, plus support from thousands of members, and a website flooded with tutorials, just like the one above.

I'm talking about useful educational games, not shooting matches.

In reply to john Simpson

by ryan sanders -

john...

what are useful educational games?  links ? names? what type of games are you talking about as being useful?  what info would you want control of in moodle. so as to be able to adjust these games to a individual student?  how would you want to track each student information within moodle? what would you like these games do? would a typing game be something?  would fill in "word" story book be a game?  were student had to either type, or record an audio file and upload it be a game? would different math games come into play in order to beat some monster up?  what is an educational game? besides graphics. what content is wanted and how would it apply to being a game? 

what would you need in a blender game that would make it educational? 

=============

lots of questions, but hoping to get more out of you john, so i can understand what it is you want / need and what would make things better.  just saying blender and FOSS. *shrugs* to much of a blanket statement. i want more! and yes spell it out.  i can be rather be thick headed at times. 

In reply to ryan sanders

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by dawn alderson -

I am sorry, I may not be seeing this right.  So you are saying....keep educational format of successful features and add a playful element at the end to add fun....so we are quire clear this is not game....gaming.....being playful...it is a little bit of fun? Yes I agree. 

In reply to dawn alderson

In reply to Deleted user

by Andy Chaplin -

On the pacman issue, there is an excellent website classtools.net which has exactly this feature and can easily be embedded in Moodle.  There are also a host of other games and gadgets which can aid the busy teacher.

The arcade game generator might fit the bill for the original poster.

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by ryan sanders -

AVG internet security 

http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/website-safety-reports/domain/classtools.net/linkreport/www.classtools.net%252F/?utm_source=TDPU&utm_medium=OS&PRTYPE=PROT

Potentially Active Malware!

During the last 7 days potentially active malware was detected on the main site of this domain(updated Feb 20, 2015 GMT)

Navigation on this site is not recommended.
2 compromised pages have been found on classtools.net

On the pacman issue, there is an excellent website classtools.net which has exactly this feature and can easily be embedded in Moodle.  There are also a host of other games and gadgets which can aid the busy teacher.

The arcade game generator might fit the bill for the original poster.

===============

sorry for post of this nature.  was going back quick skim on this thread. and was nailed with AVG.  when i clicked on above link.  

like everything this may be a false report. with me not using classtools.net on a routine basis, it is hard for me to take into account. if good or bad.  larger websites regardless of nature stuff happens. hopefully this will be resolved soon. 

previously going to website all was fine. when i initially read Andy post. and was going to click back on link for a refresher of what the site was about. 

In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -

Matt Bury your post were ya go into list of "higher order thinking" to me ya almost going to far out, and asking to much, in your overall post. you are asking a computer to become a human. technology has not caught up to that point.  your post was a good read overall!, 

http://lchc.ucsd.edu/mca/Paper/Engestrom/expanding/toc.htm getting through first 2 chapters. tad hard to follow. to many "quotes from other things" and needing a background of reading many books it seems like to make sense of what is being said. 

http://www.sdkrashen.com/content/books/principles_and_practice.pdf will see about reading over it later.

other 2 references. to much on plate already. 

====================

<quote>

dawn alderson

·some were flash, html5 / javascript, java, some download and install, some mobile phone support. 

OK....but does that mean....that cocktail is why the player does not have a choice...what I mean is, if you choose this direction/pathway you might......or if you choose this pathway/cave/forest whatever you might be able to???? Severe lack of choice for the player across the lot.....CHOICE important.....enbales sense of freedom.....control during engagement....and ownership of outcomes...instead of: use the arrows to put the fires out...derr!  Or, choose the right letter/blend to make the given word.....hidden didactics....boring for kids and then they go and play minecraft!   

</quote>

getting in to programming...

1. KISS (keep it simply stupid)  flash and/or html5/ javascript maybe, and that is a long maybe java.  each mini game = a new activity or resource type. ya download and install into moodle. just like you might install one of the many third party activity types at www.moodle.org/plugins
  2. download / install on computer *shakes head no* i am against this in so many ways, it is not funny.  being techie in family. and getting a call how do i install this game for my kid? the added frustration needs to end. before it even begins and that is (downloading and installing on computer) there be 1000's of flash base games, html5/javascript games out there on the internet that do not need an install doing.
  3. SCORM and newer SCORM = TIN CAN  API, i only see big companies using. so they can offer more of there games to multi LMS. 
  4. "LTI provider" = *shakes head no* for nearly all of the learning games i have seen up to this point.  the exception is for a MMO (massive multi-player online) game. were the game requires specialized server software.  LTI provider for a learning game. seems like to much distraction, more so if they are geared towards younger kids.  even for the upper 7th/8th grade and above kids. the learning games are small enough. that i would think be easier to have them as an activity / resource directly within moodle. so a teacher has direct control what is and what is not valid for there students. vs just sending all there students to some random game website and no direction what so ever. 
In reply to ryan sanders

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ryan,

Re: "you are asking a computer to become a human." -- Or more explicitly, pointing out that computers can't do what human teachers, at least effective ones, do. I think it was Arthur C. Clarke who said, "If a teacher can be replaced by a machine, he should be."

I think edugames receive disproportionate amounts of attention and resources for the learning benefits they can provide and for their track record so far (I'm including several kinds of adaptive testing/teaching that use similar game dynamics). If they were as effective as some pundits claim, we'd have had cheap education for all a long time ago. They can be effective under narrow sets of circumstances and when used judiciously. And there are also non-edugame alternatives to those that can be more effective for some people.

I suspect many of the anecdotal "it works" claims by learners, parents, and teachers are products of personal preference (e.g. some learners prefer rote memorisation over "exploring boundary conditions" because of personal beliefs about learning), confirmation bias (only noticing and/or remembering evidence that supports your hypothesis), and/or post hoc fallacies (because outcome follows treatment, outcome is caused by treatment = fallacy. Doctors have a saying, "If you treat a cold it lasts for about 7 days. If you don't treat it, it lasts about a week.").

In reply to Matt Bury

by ryan sanders -

i am getting ahead of myself. book "psychology the science of mind and behavior 6th edition by gross" chapter 41 intelligence.  starting to get into IQ tests, and other type of tests. I have yet to read through entire chapter. but would the small little cheap learning games, be a way to obtain IQ test data? real time notation, of how long it takes to figure certain things out, different ways of displaying problems that is not purely text based. but rather 3D virtual worlds and figuring out were you are in some map, in some car / bike / boat / airplane game. and obtaining extra details, that may be impossible to obtain through pure text?  i mean the games are well pretty simple. nothing major about them to complex a more simple psychology test, they do provide different way of presenting information, and how to apply information. that may not be obtainable through a writing fill in dot test. 

i remember WPS (words per second) for typing, and some (words per minute) reading. scores in old games. and in recent searching for "learning / teaching games" showing off math skills via math per minute. 

picking on Wendi Turner for a timely thread... Home ►Moodle in English ►General ►General help ►Please vote for "Time Spent" improvements in 2.9!

or to all of above. am i asking for to much? 

In reply to ryan sanders

by Matt Bury -

Hi Ryan,

For Flash games, my SWF Activity Module ( https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_swf ) already records elapsed time in Moodle's grade book along with all the usual user data. It's been doing that since the first version for Moodle 1.9. I believe that there are other activity modules that do similar things.

There are some well-established tests for spatial-temporal reasoning (manipulating objects in 3D space in your mind's eye). They don't require anything as exotic as interactive animated 3D models. I don't think the issue is technology preventing such tests from becoming more widespread, it's that it's a skill/ability that we don't seem to value in education (We measure what we value).

Similarly, there are some excellent tests for language learners that can be automated, e.g. the c-test, that aren't popular despite the positive supporting research evidence and ease of use: http://blog.matbury.com/call-software/c-test/ 

Perhaps the biggest barrier to new learning, teaching, and assessment methods, approaches, strategies, and techniques is "educational orthodoxy" or to put it another way, an uncritical mind-set of "This is the way we do things here." that is unwilling and/or unable to seriously consider the alternatives. Although I've seen some impressive pilot projects in universities, I suspect that multimedia, interactive, learning, teaching, and assessment rubrics and activities might be better received and taken more seriously in vocational training departments and organisations than in academic institutions.

In reply to ryan sanders

by Andy Chaplin -

Hi Ryan

I passed the link on to the owner of the site.  I've never experienced this, and the site is regularly presented at teachmeets in the UK, so I assume it's not actually a problem.  I suspect that due to the number of scripts running on the site to keep the various tools available that your scanner has played it safe.

If I hear anything back from the owner, I'll post it here.

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Rafiqul Islam -
ok

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Andy Chaplin <noreply@moodle.org> wrote:
Picture of Andy Chaplin
by Andy Chaplin - Saturday, February 21, 2015, 6:06 PM

Hi Ryan

I passed the link on to the owner of the site.  I've never experienced this, and the site is regularly presented at teachmeets in the UK, so I assume it's not actually a problem.  I suspect that due to the number of scripts running on the site to keep the various tools available that your scanner has played it safe.

If I hear anything back from the owner, I'll post it here.

If you reply to this via email, don't include a quoted copy of this post.

In reply to john Simpson

by dawn alderson -

why not shooting matches! tongueout

seriously, serious post next.... 

In reply to Deleted user

by Matt Bury -
Perhaps a point worth making about edugames is that they should be designed according to evidence supported pedagogical principles.

It's insufficient to say an edugame "works." Works at what? What do learners gain from it? Is it purely rote memorisation with the associated lack of knowledge transfer and high attrition rates? Or does it encourage and enable learners to make sense of the learning objectives. Edugames have a very poor track record when it comes to higher-order thinking and learning outcomes.

In EFL and ESL, edugames have been used for decades and there have been many software packages, some of them quite sophisticated, that promise to teach foreign and second languages. While they help learners to memorise lists of vocabulary and perform well on explicit form focused language tests, there is little evidence that they support or contribute to language acquisition, or spontaneous use of target languages, either spoken or written. And of course, every vendor of edugames will tell you, "Ah, but my games are different because... "

In short, if your learners need to cram for explicit form focused tests, then edugames may help them if they use certain games intensively just before each test, e.g. spaced repetition exercises ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition ). Don't expect miracles from edugames.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matt Bury

In reply to Deleted user

by Matt Bury -

Hi Alan,

Yes, RCTs are unfeasibly expensive and time-consuming. It would be unreasonable to ask practitioners to do research without considerable support from professional researchers.

Re: The Diane Ravitch article (I'm a fan of her writing too), I think she's referring to the fact that very few education research studies ever get replicated (so almost no external validity/generalisability), and that the methods and controls used produce unreliable and/or invalid results more often than not. Some papers read more like an exercise in scholasticism than realistic scientific interpretations of the data; Papers that mention other likely alternative interpretations of the data are rare. It's up to us to be more discerning consumers of the existing literature and search diligently for well-designed and conducted research findings.

Funnily enough, more disciplined medicine like trials are something that the UK govt. seriously considered: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/building-evidence-into-education

However, I think there are two main problems with being more scientific (in the natural sciences sense of the word) with education:

#1 - Mainstream education is less about learning than it is about conformity and compliance and maintaining an inequitable status quo (Freire, 1970). Apparently, schools look very different when they're organised around more equitable, democratic principles explicitly targeted at positive psychological development and learning, e.g. Reggio Emilia approach, Summerhill/Sudbury schools, Waldorf education, and Montessori schools. Essentially, what we'd call a liberal arts education.

#2 - Education systems, classrooms, etc., behave more like complex adaptive systems (Engeström, 1987). Under such circumstances, taking a natural sciences scientific approach, there are too many significant variables to control for, and there is so much diversity between learners, classes, cohorts, schools, and systems, that it's extremely difficult to come up with anything that's externally valid/generalisable.

One thing that we'd need to nail down are clear, workable definitions of higher-order and critical thinking (I suspect that there may be "sets" of definitions for different types of higher-order and critical thinking) not only so that we know what success looks like, but also so that we understand how that success came about and can repeat it under different circumstances. Lauren Resnick made a brave attempt at it a while back:

"Thinking skills resist the precise forms of definition we have come to associate with the setting of specified objectives for schooling. Nevertheless, it is relatively easy to list some of the key features of higher order thinking. When we do this, we become aware that, although we cannot define it exactly, we can recognize higher order thinking when it occurs. Consider the following:

• Higher order thinking is nonalgorithmic. That is, the path of action is not fully specified in advance.
  • Higher order thinking tends to be complex. The total path is not "visible” (mentally speaking) from any single vantage point.
  • Higher order thinking often yields multiple solutions, each with costs and benefits, rather than unique solutions.
  • Higher order thinking involves nuanced judgement and interpretation.
  • Higher order thinking involves the application of multiple criteria, which sometimes conflict with one another.
  • Higher order thinking involves uncertainty. Not everything that bears on the task at hand is known.
  • Higher order thinking involves self-regulation of the thinking process. We do not recognize higher order thinking in an individual when someone else "calls the plays” at every step.
  • Higher order thinking involves imposing meaning, finding structure in apparent disorder.
  • Higher order thinking is effortful. There is considerable mental work involved in the kinds of elaborations and judgements required.”

The best we can hope for at the moment are some principles that seem to hold true "under the right conditions" and in most cases. In EFL/ESL, Krashen's five hypotheses seem to fit this definition (Krashen, 1982).

Certainly food for thought. Then again, cognitive scientist Daniel Willingham does make a strong case for memorising stuff (Willingham, 2009).

References
In reply to Matt Bury

by dawn alderson -

hi all,

maybe pertinent to the discussion thoughtful

1. Moodle is underpinned by theory.

2. The research-teaching/learning nexus is about applying theory for practice. How that is done can be in the form of action research....cycles that include a plan-do-review framework...and can be done by the lone, reflective practitioner...practitioner research is more ad hoc-situated, so for example a one-off trial/application/evaluation and so on-with no necessary follow up-it is down to practitioner's identification of need.

3. A research study in the social sciences, including education, attempts to apply theory or seek out theory in/for practice.  And, attempts include frameworks, methods, methodologies and so on that aim to measure/observe/inquire about what is going on in a segment of representative practice or grand scale insights can be sought with the purpose of finding out about how practice might be enhanced...or what issues exist and so on.

4. There is no point in putting theory in a little box and separating practice into another where never the two shall meet, if we are to believe certain theories have merit. The point being, in convincing others of the links between theory for practice then we need a way to convey those linkages-or not of course.

5. Higher order thinking (in short-cognition/distinguishable from metacognition because the latter can be considered as conscious and deliberate thoughts that have as their object other thoughts (Hacker, 2002), as outlined in your post Matt, does not include social environment. Without that factor we have a sole reliance on a developmental approach (cog/metacog develops with age (Baker, 1994; Brown, 1987; Flavell, 1971; Piaget, 1972; Schneider and Pressley, 1989).  The second school of thought suggests that social environment, pedagogical practice; the nature of the cognitive problem posed and the individual's affective state at a given time impact upon cognition/metacog/higher order thinking skills (Larkin, 2000; Pelligrini, Galda and Flor, 1996) and Flavell and Wellman (1977) acknowledge social interactions can influence cog/metacog-e.g. when working on a group task.

According to Flavell (1977, p.107) children are not wholly incapable of thinking about thinking due to a formal operational process that is developmentally led, because formal operations are performed upon the results of prior concrete operations e.g. once the action has been undertaken in a concrete manner.....e.g. object touched...then pictorial representation can develop...and then abstract and so on.........but this only happens over time with development/maturity. 

And Alan's memory games do have value....as it was Kluwe (1982) who distinguished between declarative knowledge 'stored data in long-term memory' such as knowledge about literacy for example, and that procedural knowledge is stored processes of a system e.g. processes directed to the solution of a problem. Therefore according to Kluwe, cognitive thinking mostly takes place using declarative knowledge stored in long-term memory.  Processes that monitor the selection and application, as well as the effects of solution; processes and regulate the stream of solution activity-represent metacognitive procedural knowledge (Kluwe, 1982, p. 204).

And of course there is Pea (1993) who stated that cog is not just about an ability to think in a particular way...cog involves thinking, other people, symbolic media and exploiting the env and artefacts.  This is akin to Perkins' (1993, p. 90) distributed cog...person-plus involving situations of authentic and extended enquiry.  Haughland and Ruiz (2002) did research that supports children learning best through interaction when using  IT  increasing critical thinking skills and problem solving skills... and the benefits of IT for enhancement in cog/metacog/higher order thinking skills, critical skills...has been shown across other research undertaken by....( Haughland and Wright, 1997; Larkin, 2000;; Pappas et al., 2003; Siu and Lam, 2003 and Wertsch, 1978). 

D

In reply to Deleted user

by ryan sanders -

google liking me today. finding lots of educational game websites....keywords....

• educational games
  • online multiplayer educational games
  • multi player education game
  • educational games 9th grade

some highlights (lots of websites, below just happen to be what was still open in a browser tabs)

other keywords

• SCORM 
  • TEMPLATE 
  • *cringies* very bad keywords. i sunk into my chair with depression. as websites with these keywords brought back. (EDIT: re-reading, this is not a flame at ya Matt Bury, up to just a couple hours ago. i was finding some very ugly websites that dealt with educational games, that reminded me of 1990's DOS / windows 3.1 with 5 1/4 floppy disks) 

overview of above....

• a lot are showing better "free"  vs commercial pay to play. 
  • i am also seeing not much connection to any sort of LMS.  other words no way of handing out a worksheet / assignment and complete these math problems for a grade. err go play this game and get X score within X amount of time and have it auto record in a LMS
  • not seeing much of adjusting this or that in a game to deal with this students current skill levels and what this given student needs to overview.
  • most games are all little "mini games"  there really is no linking between them, so as to be able to progress through them. 
  • some of the websites allowed a teacher to sign up there class to the website. but not much further than that. it was all done in given website.  so ya miss out on moodle activities / resources. and just deal with a games on there website. 
  • some were flash, html5 / javascript, java, some download and install, some mobile phone support. 
  • mutli-player *meh* ya ok, it is there.  but no leader board / tournaments / ways to break students up on different criteria to place them in different select groups.
  • there was a lot of games that had "time" associated with some sort of scoring. 
  • as things moved away from say 7th grade and higher. graphics went away. to more basic general games. of entering stuff on keyboard or mouse clicks, with no fancy stuff. 
  • a lot of games seemed WAY TO STRICT.  get 1 wrong answer and "end game" and start all over again :/ 
  • there was no history in many of the games. to display wrong answers at end of a stage. so as to provide extra notification.   
  • a lot of the games provide instant feedback. upon wrong answer, some maybe on correct answer.  
  • the wrong answer got rather annoying. "took me to another popup, and a couple clicks to get back to the game.  it was almost like a yelling, NO YOU ARE WRONG THAT ANSWER IS INCORRECT in how wrong answers were displayed in some games.  it was not like hey you are wrong lets move on, and go through more like examples and not a real big deal. 

keywords...

• educational games mmo
  • running into difficulty,  there is mention of them. but nothing is coming up to try a demo or like.  ((this is getting more into actual 3D virtual world games / FPS / RPG style of game play. 

======================

misc other.....

i was hoping to see more LMS side of things. to deal with "leader boards" / tournaments, and being able to identify and break up students on a wide variety of different criteria.  along with linking multi schools together.  example say in one school district there is 100 8th graders. and then those 8th graders split up into 25 students per classroom.    in retrospect. most online games require a larger number of players. say 1000 to 2000 players. in order to obtain a better peer to peer environment.  were asking a question, is more likely get a fast response and possibly extra help.  i have a hard time comprehending small size class room experiments for online learning. and not being able to link say all 8th graders in 300 miles that are taking english 108. and bring them together in some common forums, user chats, activities / resources / tournaments / etc... so as to allow student to student learning / teaching, within a somewhat control environment. 

the only thing i am seeing to above... is system admins (IT staff) bringing together 2 to 5 schools in there school district, and placing moodle at a central site / servers, to help with IT staffing. 

was hoping to pull up some better "educational games MMO" but nada.  not even need for 3D graphics, would of settled for some old MUD (text based gaming).  that allowed audio / texting like communication, without need to see some character move around in a game to see who is nearby you. 

In reply to ryan sanders

by dawn alderson -

OK Ryan, in view of your 'overview of above'....

·a lot are showing better "free"  vs commercial pay to play.

This is a positive I suppose, how popular they are when you have the likes of minecraft at home and/or in computer club remains a question for thought....essentially, the arrow nav can be tricky for younger children especially when asked to use ctrl/shift as well...

·i am also seeing not much connection to any sort of LMS.  other words no way of handing out a worksheet / assignment and complete these math problems for a grade. err go play this game and get X score within X amount of time and have it auto record in a LMS....

Right nice gap-identified...but there is no reason to have to focus on poor design across the lot......some nice stuff includes:

-audio too

-fun factor

and you have picked out gaps for nice stuff/potential across the following:

·not seeing much of adjusting this or that in a game to deal with this students current skill levels and what this given student needs to overview.

Yes....gap there

·most games are all little "mini games"  there really is no linking between them, so as to be able to progress through them. 

Yep thumbs up another gap

·some of the websites allowed a teacher to sign up there class to the website. but not much further than that. it was all done in given website.  so ya miss out on moodle activities / resources. and just deal with a games on there website.  

Ditto

·some were flash, html5 / javascript, java, some download and install, some mobile phone support. 

OK....but does that mean....that cocktail is why the player does not have a choice...what I mean is, if you choose this direction/pathway you might......or if you choose this pathway/cave/forest whatever you might be able to???? Severe lack of choice for the player across the lot.....CHOICE important.....enbales sense of freedom.....control during engagement....and ownership of outcomes...instead of: use the arrows to put the fires out...derr!  Or, choose the right letter/blend to make the given word.....hidden didactics....boring for kids and then they go and play minecraft!   

·mutli-player *meh* ya ok, it is there.  but no leader board / tournaments / ways to break students up on different criteria to place them in different select groups. 

Agree....more gaps.....good.....code for that needed then J

·there was a lot of games that had "time" associated with some sort of scoring.  

Yes....I would put that as an option......

·as things moved away from say 7th grade and higher. graphics went away. to more basic general games. of entering stuff on keyboard or mouse clicks, with no fancy stuff.  

I know.....switch off time!

·a lot of games seemed WAY TO STRICT.  get 1 wrong answer and "end game" and start all over again :/   see my hidden didactics point

·there was no history in many of the games. to display wrong answers at end of a stage. so as to provide extra notification.   Brilliant-well spotted!

·a lot of the games provide instant feedback. upon wrong answer, some maybe on correct answer.  

Now this is a gap...that can be reversed.....with choices for correct action....that pushes motivation to move further into the game.....even if along the same level...see what I am doing.....attacking it with motivation at the forefront-rather than didactics....code issues.....pedagogy.....learner engagement first...I know as you have done too Ryan J  

·the wrong answer got rather annoying. "took me to another popup, and a couple clicks to get back to the game.  it was almost like a yelling, NO YOU ARE WRONG THAT ANSWER IS INCORRECT in how wrong answers were displayed in some games.  it was not like hey you are wrong lets move on, and go through more like examples and not a real big deal. Brilliant-well spotted...

Conclusions.....lots of room for improvement.....in terms of switching around structure in the first instance.....promoting success....for movement forward but with choices and the same for fail....still move forward....or perceived movement forward through choice/pathways.....handing over to the learner that decision is key....what next...and what are my options....to achieve my end goal.....what will motivate the learner along the way???? And so on

Looking forward to a nice early years PoC J

In reply to Matt Bury

by Rafiqul Islam -

Educational gaming for Moodle. are the good way to educate your child by playing game i am support this style and also playing game your children are enjoy so much .

In reply to ryan sanders

by Andy Chaplin -

The question here seems to be whether you are looking for games which coincidentally bring something to a given course and can be embedded, or whether you mean gamification whereby game elements (such as levelling up) are built into the exercises/coursework?  There is a whole industry built around gamification and serious games.  

Gamification can be built into the course by the teacher using conditional activities and badges and other stuff that's already in Moodle.

The idea of creating a game from scratch which enhances the course being offered strikes me as full-time job in itself.

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by dawn alderson -

K.

first things first:

Ryan, when you say:

*picks on dawn alderson" your going to have to do better than that. to much overview. *evil grin*  need more fine grain details.   And you can have that....but Ryan we need to keep the docs succinct.....not 4-5 pages Ryan....how about we have a new doc to explore those questions in depth...I will do the scoping exercise as a starter for 10.

Andy: you are quite right.  Pedagogically there is a difference between tokenism: adding on a bit of fun/game at the end of a normal run of the mill activity...so say a comprehension that involves diagnosing with miscue analysis and on...... and having 'a game as an activity' where the learning is led by the learner.....a direct contrast to my example of miscue A.....because MA takes a- what can't they do approach...whereas through play/game/learner-led this can provide diagnostic opportunities for what they can do! Catch em when they are good....and so on....So not promoting a very well-long established...arguably deficit model for learning!!!! *steps down from soap-box and sighs* smile     

In reply to john Simpson

by Natalie Denmeade -

This looks good ... HTML5 game creator : http://gamefroot.com/ I am going to try it out his week.

In reply to Natalie Denmeade

by john Simpson -

Hope it works for you. At the moment website requires maintenance, also suspicious about requiring quotes on pricing.

What I've shown has been free and open source,leaders and well established, just like moodle. Not even registration is required, just click the button and download. Other game maker can cost you 1000s.

by ryan sanders -

interesting little find there Natalie.  script engine in initial version was simple  http://gamefroot.com/leveleditor/# , but had to click up on the new beta version "green area across top" http://make.gamefroot.com/# and script engine got complex quickly :/  and hard to find what fit to what via puzzle pieces.  though it did display things very graphically. 

In reply to ryan sanders

by dawn alderson -

Ryan-Dawn here! smile

Hi,

you raise some interesting points/questions in your post....and to the point...which makes a change eh.....am playing Ryan....playing!

OK

let's note them (with slight annotations)  and I will return to them over time, in other words, invest some thought about this-tis sounding good:

a) what are useful educational games and associated links/names/purpose-targeted age group? 

This requires a scoping exercise.... so page 1.

b)  what work/coding/enhancements/etc would need to be made in moodle, to be able to adjust these games to an individual student?  

this depends on the outcomes from a) and what I think in the dev world is called PoC.

c) how would you want to track each student information/progress (not peripheral stuff-like log-in-need to keep it focused to support progression/continuity for development) within moodle? 

the answer to this is easy...gradebook/conditional activity/maybe some of the nice quiz connections....stuff already in moodle 

d) purpose of game?

would be age/development/progress(either/or/both attainment/achievement....related=providing choice in terms of the latter)

e) How do we define the nature of a game/gaming for moodle's ITS? 

need more time to chat and decide about this

f) what is an educational game? 

something that engages a person; to enable an opportunity to learn and develop.....not sitting in the pub perhaps smile

g) what would you need in a blender game that would make it educational? 

aim, focus, purpose, rationale=all explicit for the learner.....goals, fun element, different pathways, interaction with others, plot, daemons smile  in other words excitement fuelled by anf for what if thinking, scary....whoooo hooo hooo type thingy maybe....and so on

D   

In reply to john Simpson

by ryan sanders -

time to get myself into trouble here...

===============

adding to Natalie Denmeade post on http://gamefroot.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_programming_language most of the links on this wiki page, have some sort of "education" thing in the header of there websites. or each one more geared towards education usage.  below are some highlights.

1. https://developers.google.com/blockly/
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap!_(programming_language)
  3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_(programming_language)

================

*picks on dawn alderson" your going to have to do better than that. to much overview. *evil grin*  need more fine grain details. 

================

Alan Hess, if you could get a "ITL provider" to some game website, and had completion / restrict access options for your activities / resources.  so that you could say. hey. if students completed this reading assignment, this math quiz, and this essay, they get remaining time to play what ever game they want at XYZ website?  (( other words parental access and setting restraints on kids of how long and when/if they can play games))

back in the days... there was limitation of what 5 1/2 floppy disk game was available to play.  so i am wondering something like above might be better?  allowing kids a bit more free range of what games they wanted to play as a reward?  or possibly get X sum of cash/coin/gold or what ever in a game, to get a better start?  for a reward for completing stuff and/or getting a better score in given activities / resources?

In reply to ryan sanders

by Matt Bury -

Hi folks!

Yes, I think we need to make a distinction between edugames and gamification. Gamification is a set of curriculum development strategies, based loosely around ideas from behaviourism (operant conditioning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning ) that have been made popular by commercial social networking services like Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, etc. I believe that this isn't the question in the original post.

For Edugames there are two main levels to address:

Edugame templates - Ready made games with all the rules and logic already coded. Non-developers can use these to make an unlimited number of variations of the games with specific sets of questions, tasks, topics, multimedia, etc.

Examples of edugame templates: http://elearningbrothers.com/the-top-10-best-elearning-game-templates-in-2013/

If you want to deploy gaming templates in Moodle, the easiest way is to zip them up as SCORM compliant packages. Make sure that the templates you get are SCORM compliant and work with Moodle (not all SCORM interpretations are the same!)

Actual game software development - Using an integrated development environment (IDE) and a set of "gaming engine" code libraries (Ready written code that just does what you want it to. No need to reinvent the wheel!) Developers can easily create text and multimedia-based games as well as 2D and 3D action games. You generally need professional or dedicated hobbyist level software development skills to do this.

Examples of IDEs + code libraries (free and open source):

Actionscript (Can be cross-compiled to Javascript and other languages): http://www.flashdevelop.org/ + https://www.adobe.com/devnet/games/gaming_engines.html

or

A dedicated gaming IDE, GODOT Engine http://www.godotengine.org/wp/

If you can use gaming engines, writing the code to send grades to Moodle is relatively trivial, e.g. https://github.com/matbury/SWF-Activity-Module2.5/blob/master/swf/scripts/gradeupdate.php

I hope this helps! smile

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Matt Bury

by john Simpson -
Teaching English through English (ESOL)  is my main interest. This website looks like what I'm looking for..

http://www.eslgamesplus.com/

It would be great if we could simply show a selection of such games in moodle, It would also be great that teachers could quickly learn how to make such games and design them to meet their own requirements, and hopefully they don't take too long to create once learnt.

In regards to blender and being a keen user of blkender, yes it would take too much time to make some decent 3d educational games. It's possible with a team of professionals, but not for one busy teacher.

In reply to john Simpson

by dawn alderson -

Hi John,

Understand.  When you say Teaching English through English (ESOL)  is my main interest. The website there....and having a selection of those games in moodle and teachers being able to make such games...

Well, this is what I am struggling with:

1. Are you saying you just want to teach reading/spelling/writing skills with these games?

2. And are you saying you just want to promote independent activity (of the stimulus-response sort?)

3. And, are you saying you just want to have such games linked in moodle, so that moodle activities can be seamlessly linked with those games? 

You see, teaching English through English would also involve using the language across contexts with others too. So, paired working....promotion of saying/hearing the language, whether on topic with the focus language or incidental stuff, like it's my turn....do that look, you can do this.....I did that....and when you point at that and so on...........

I wonder how much those games, whether in moodle or in a different tab alongside...actually promote a whole-language approach for learning....some might say yes-dependent on age.  Yet, if an isolated learner is to practise strands of the Enlish learning process, so reading/spelling in isolation, through stimulus-response activity... is that really effective?....

Each to their own...but in my experience (many moons ago) children working at/with a screen together or online together/or popovers even that promote talk (so using English or home-language/hearing it) can engage children where they draw on a number of resources already in place....to make connections between what they know with the new/or consolidation purposes (formulaic/telegraphic speech for example)...I think that is  where we are now.

You see, to me it is the advanced children who gain from such independent activity as outlined in those games....and ironically it is the advanced children who switch off quickly with those games...because they can nav quickly, have more language strategies and therefore get bored after a very successful first attempt-no matter if the stimulus is trickier-the structure of the game is boring so they cease to engage ....but I could be wrong.

D          

In reply to Deleted user

by Natalie Denmeade -

Alan,

As a "Flexible, reflective and creative teacher" I am horrified by what other people see as 'eLearning'. Technology should give me MORE choice and flexibility - not restrain me to a system that worked great with one cohort and would fail miserably with the next. That's why I am more interested in applying game design to the overall learning journey (of a skill or a qualification) rather than games within a learning session (although I do that too sometimes).

Last year I ran "Game of Thrones' competition and this term I am adding Moodle to the mix instead of a simple spreadsheet. I am preparing each week as I go (using Weekly topic format) and deciding which activities best meet the learner journey (onboarding / problem-solving / mastery/ mentoring). I am blogging about this on a Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/gamificationForEducation/?ref=bookmarks. Today I used a WIKI so students could  give each other a mark for their participation in the activity. 

It really sits comfortably with my reactive teaching style. Last year I had a majority interested in video so we did a little film as a class. This year I have lots of gamers ready for some real coding. I got them to sign up for the Coursera MOOC on Python and am doing it myself too. They made a hilarious game about OHS today which inevitably ended up with a sprite of a student falling into a dozen pieces (and twitching feet). They used Unity. Other times we have used Construct 2 - another great free HTML5 game creator.

I see Moodle as maturing into an ideal platform for both games and gamification in the next 48 months for the 'average' tech-confident yet  time poor teacher. The other tool I have my eye on is this: http://h5p.org/ . The layer where we could quickly swap out particular data for the 'game' is held within the XML file, so a simple editor, or a link to a Moodle glossary/database could work as an entry point for teachers.  There has been talk of integrating this in Moodle but nothing  stable as yet.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by john Simpson -
Way to go. I await with enthusiasm for the next 48 months.
In reply to john Simpson

by Natalie Denmeade -

I would have said sooner if more people saw Outcomes 2 as a priority and voted for this item (hint, hint)

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-40230

by ryan sanders -

you are always a game changer for me Natalie, just when i think something is going to be ok to move on. BAM! 

htttp://dev4x.com seem to have changed there pages around yet again.  interesting flow chart per say they do have going for them! it seemed there goals / completion charts moved up some.  went a head and signed up via join us form.  it can not hurt anything. 

i am not getting anything back for "h5p joubel" and searching for "h5p moodle"  i did get some back. but right a over a year old. i did run across a single page on www.h5p.org about a plugin. but then it took me to moodle.org then i lost it in the tabs. 

http://www.learningfutures.eu/2014/03/what-have-i-learned-from-moodle-and-mahara/ WOW! 

to your concern Natalie, you are wanting to avoid. having to create something on the spot. and then take 2 hours click through menus, to assign it to a skill tree or like. so as information will be processed correctly.  some place i remember reading it takes 200 hours prep work for 1 hour of course time.  i am not sure i could even fight that battle of paper work. 

but you do bring up a interesting concern. how to reduce overall.  i never really thought about it. a quick first initial response/thought. trading one for the other most likely.  i do not see how to get around it.  primary goal is to get to a point were students are gaining more knowledge quicker and easier. and letting the teacher focus more per student. vs "one size fits all" in that respect, i would think trade of paper work for clicking in moodle to deal with something. would be an overall improvement. but still same old same old paper work. and with anything new, you either get out of the microscope with less paper work, or you initial get overloaded with extra paper work. 

about only thing that comes to mind. is converting all the bloody physical paper work, into forms on the computer. much like one of moodle's activities / resources.  

the so called revolution of a paperless office.... why is there more paper work now?

In reply to ryan sanders

by Natalie Denmeade -

hehe Ryan ... If I was face to face i would have a better feel of what subjects to bring up and how far to push the comfort zone. Online I have no idea who all of you are and am thoroughly enjoying the brain dump.  I have been researching this for about 3 years solid. Thanks for reading and discussing this - I am finding it very inspiring. I have prototypes of a lot of this in a Moodle course I will invite you all to have sneak peak at soon. 

This is the website for Joubel: http://joubel.com/#projects . After an email chat the other day they are going to remove the Moodle project as featured as they only have a prototype that worked on an earlier version of H5P. I was wanting to know if theirs is the official one about to be released.. and didn't get a straight answer. I think not. They said they would be happy to continue development if funded.

by dawn alderson -

that is disappointing...must be another way besides paying this Norwegian company.

In reply to ryan sanders

by Natalie Denmeade -

Thinking about this some more and wanted to expand .. yes my concern is around the workload, an that the workload will be distributed. Say I want to plan a 30 hour unit on 2D animation. I used to research , plan a sequence of activities and assessments , write this up into a 3 - 5 page document including all the ASQA framework requirements, have another teacher validate the documents, and upload all docs to places where my management, auditors and students had access, Let's say that is about 1 - 2 days work. The latest revised system has added layers to this process of providing unit mappings, feedback forms, etc etc  so that time has doubled to 2 - 4 days.  Now that I have tried mapping every activity to every outcome and level I am realising that the workload will be much higher again - perhaps 4- 6 days work - (or more). And then the cross referencing will begin to other units.

So my concerns about taking this process up into the skill trees we have been discussing is that we are doing this to improve the choice and quality of education for the learner. But how does the average educator feel about this? Once we (the ed tech gurus) create an assembly line of production that means the workload is distributed away from one teacher. That teacher loses ownership and opportunity for creativity, hence motivation.

I don't think any of us in this conversation see ed tech as a replacement for teachers. We value humans as having the most crucial role to play. So we need to protect and nuture teachers throughout the process. The way that technology has been applied across the education spectrum has sometimes (often) been torture. Have you seen the body language when you mention a word like 'Moodle'? There are the adventurous few... but the majority fell huge anxiety based on past experience. If you say the word 'upgrade' it is like hearing the word 'grenade approaching' run for cover. Anyone in my sector at the moment knows how terribly we are all affected by a recent ' upgrade'.  The admin staff are the most affected, it is affecting their health and life. I would love to see some research on how software roll-outs have affected teacher morale.

If you think of teaching as a game. Someone decides to become a teacher. They level up over time. The ultimate win state may be having an office to yourself, perhaps being the principal, or watching your students apply their skills over a lifetime. Teachers face each day with varying degrees of motivation . I love the process of researching a new topic and imagining how to apply that to my new students. I want to wait until I know them before I lock in the assessment details. When someone says 'oh we had an expert write your session plan for you and now you are just a coach and assessor within these boundaries'. I quit and go find something else in life that motivates me. The game isn't fun anymore.  

As planners we need to keep Teacher Motivation as a higher priority than Learner Motivation. Crap resources with an awesome passionate teacher are far better than the best resources and a teacher with the enthusiasm of a security guard. That is why I promote activities like H5P , Brainrush.com, and Zondle.com to be used within a Moodle Course (Skill tree) sequenced by the teacher. Alan, http://stories4learning.com is also along these lines. Did you make it ? It's great.

by Matt Bury -

Hi Natalie,

I think the issues and insecurities arise when roles and responsibilities are poorly defined/blurred. Apart from the issues with most teachers feeling apprehensive and unprepared for online learning and teaching, most teachers aren't curriculum developers. They're given their syllabuses, curricula, and course materials before the beginning of each course and are only expected to teach it. Traditionally, it's the curriculum developers' job to make sure that all the learning objectives are adequately covered by the curriculum*. It's a highly skilled and difficult job to do well and beyond most teachers' domain of knowledge.

With f2f courses, teachers and learners are usually provided with:

• Syllabus (What they need to learn)
  • Curriculum (How they're going to learn it)
  • Course book (an optional "base" resource of collected, collated, indexed printed resources)
  • Materials/Resources (other necessary materials, notebooks, photocopiables, models, etc.)
  • Assessments/tests/exams

What frequently happens online is that teachers either get nothing/very few resources and have to create a course almost from scratch, for which they're not qualified, poorly prepared, and have insufficient time and energy to do, or they're handed a prescriptive, "pre-baked" online course from a publisher with little or no flexibility or options to adapt the curriculum to learners' needs.

It's no wonder that so many teachers are rushing around the web trying to find anything they can to add to and "fill up" their online courses.

*However, in some cases where there have been independent 3rd party evaluations of published courses, they've found that very few books meet the required minimum coverage of learning objectives.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Natalie Denmeade -

Matt,

It's good to have these discussions across sectors. I think you are in the Tertiary /University sector whereas my experience is mostly Vocational - and blended delivery. I can imagine it is like that in a large well funded institute - at least I imagine that you are well funded ;). In smaller colleges teaching lower level trades we have a different scenario. New teachers are only handed a syllabus (What they need to learn) see the animation example I used earlier at http://training.gov.au/TrainingComponentFiles/CUF07/CUFANM301A_R1.pdf. Sometimes they have access to previous teacher's resources or some validated assessment tasks they can reuse IF they have the time,  skill and confidence. 

Early in my teaching I came across a pre-made unit on 2D animation in a national repository and asked some more experienced teachers why they weren't using this content in other similar units. They said that the time it took to cover each topic was unreasonable. The more practical approach was to teach three units together in a project-based approach say Animation, Planning and WHS.  Also the content quickly became outdated and the effort to fix small errors or update terms was cumbersome.

Curriculum development by a team with specialised roles works well in some scenarios. The distribution has to be large enough to cover the expense of high quality , tested and reviewed material, and resources available to maintain the currency over the life cycle of the content. In a Vocational setting neither of these conditions exist.

Vocational Teachers do want to use technology. Perhaps what I am imagining is an Ikea approach where we agree on the interoperability standards (LTI, IMS, xAPI) and offer small pieces guaranteed to fit together. When I first saw Moodle, many moons ago, that is what I imagined it would be. I encourage teachers to start with a blank course and build it as they go to the level of skill they currently have.  Over the years they extend those skills. So the passionate Photography teacher is given a blank course. He uses the forum to take notes on what was covered in class this week. He uploads some Word Docs with a session plan and assessment tasks. Next semester he chooses something else to add to his Moodling skills. This is almost the exact opposite of the Curriculum Development approach of a course pre-populated with content or a template that teachers are expected to populate. The students prefer a teacher with Industry Skills and stories to tell of what it is really like in the workplace. Enforcing high tech standards and complex resource development workflows on trade teachers is not useful to the learners or the teachers. The technology  has to be easy and quick or it won't be adopted by  teachers.

I wonder if any primary or secondary teachers have something to say  on this topic of Curriculum Development?

by ryan sanders -

i am hesitant to reply. due to wanting more feedback from others (actual teachers / curriculum developers). and i know i can over dominate a thread. (bad habit)

i talked to someone from www.dev4x.com they have other requirements, and approach to those specifics,  i do not know. "no real specifics" but overall conversation was good.  about only way moodle could help the situation. is if courses could be delivered via "html5 database scheme" were entire course could be held in a database within there browser for so many X days.  or a handful of courses could be uploaded to say a usb stick per say. and courses served off of that into smartphones / tablets.  ((it could be days between getting internet more so high speed internet)).

other issue most likely facing www.dev4x.com is needing a bunch of extra content (resources) to push to student via usb stick or like. so material is available to the student. and then when student is able to come back to school (possibly days). pulling that information off the usb stick or like and update students records / grades. 

========

Natalie 

about "moral" KISS (keep it simply stupid) i full understand that. (call center tech support job, to dealing with my mom) *shakes head some* i will leave that to another conversation. 

about "roll out new software / updates" i fully understand, will leave that to another thread at a later time.  there is a lot of effort that goes in there and just pure knowledge of information to deal with tech support per say. there is a lot of teaching involved per say.

skill tree. i have moved away from it. (added some comments to https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Game_Logic_in_Moodle)

between advanced editor *on above link* and the Strand 2: wanting to look at some actual courses dealing with "english" (open source content on a moodle website) is what i am currently looking at. 

i am interested in your opinion Natalie, on the advanced editor. as in being able to goto some website pick a game and drop it into moodle. and have it interact with moodle. (adjusting stuff), via "events, conditions, actions"  how would you like something like scratch.mit.edu in moodle. that you could adjust things, create some extra complex settings? would this open things more up to you. and maybe reduce some paper work (being able to copy/paste) stuff from others might have created and edit it, on the spot. to adjust a course and/or create a course?

In reply to ryan sanders

by Matt Bury -

Hi Ryan,

Re: "being able to goto some website pick a game and drop it into moodle. and have it interact with moodle."

-- Adding activities to Moodle and having Moodle record learners' interactions with them, e.g. duration, grades, and/or generated artifacts, requires some kind of wrapper module that can act as an interface, capturing the data output from the 3rd party activity and then translating it into something that Moodle can use. The usual sequence for activity modules is:

1. Teacher creates an activity instance and configures it. I this case to deploy a 3rd party learning interaction.
  2. Instance creates a grade item in Moodle's grade book.
  3. The learner uses the activity instance, generating data.
  4. Moodle logs record that the learner has accessed the instance as well as other salient usage data (for tracking purposes). The activity module developer must explicitly write the code to inform Moodle about users' activities for the logs, so this can be as detailed or sparse as you like.
  5. The learner's activity may generate some learning outcomes/assessment data. This must be captured by the wrapper activity module and sent to Moodle's back end, where it can be "translated" into suitable data to put into Moodle's grade book and/or other database tables.

In order for 5. to work, you need to know exactly how the 3rd party activity works and what the output data from it is, what format it's in, and what it means. This is why many wrapper activity modules for 3rd party apps are for one particular app or set of apps only. The only general activity module that is standardised to accept a wide range of learning activities is the SCORM module. However, all 3rd party activities must be SCORM compliant and the output/generated content and artifacts must conform to the SCORM specification, which was designed many years ago in the "bad old days" of test-oriented elearning for the military.

The Moodle Scratch filter doesn't integrate the Scratch Java applets with Moodle's back end, as far as I know. It's also no longer supported past Moodle 2.2. Poodl (suite of modules), NanoGong, and SWF Activity Module are supported and do provide integration with Moodle.

I hope this helps!

In reply to Matt Bury

by ryan sanders -

hey Matt, things began to click for what ever reason after reading your post! thanks!

i still just cringe when i read wrapper. 

sent an email to www.tincanapi.com to see about some sort of "rules/triggers"  aka "events, conditions, actions" and be applied to Tin Can API.  if it happens at TIN CAN API specifications. it would take a larger burden. off my shoulders.  seeing that there website was recently updated. and a list of adopters of it on there front page

it would seem a lot extra examples can be found at https://twitter.com/ProjectTinCan,  

someone has a plugin for tin can api https://moodle.org/plugins/view/mod_tincanlaunch Monday, October 13, 2014, 6:43 AM for moodle ver 2.5 might be something there.

===========

if TIN CAN API can get some sort of "event", "condition", "action"  and sharing some information via. https://github.com/bobthecow/ruler  like notations. but via json / xml. for the TIN CAN API.  more information might get moving for 2 way communication, and ability to adjust stuff on the fly. in both directions.  at moment i am just seeing data itself being passed back and forth. via json / xml. 

In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -

on a different note a few of my collage teachers, i remember stating something like all they got was hey you are hired. for this role. fend for yourself. and needing to order books for students and going through them and deciding what to choose within a couple weeks time, so books could be ordered and students buying/picking them up at local collage book store, along with finding information for students to work on.  via worksheets / assignments, etc....  i also remember teachers grabbing from multi books. and complaining about information not up to date. or covers things very well. i would like to say there was some "paper work" how much i do not know. of teacher sending info to collage. of what they were going to cover and when they were going to cover it. 

but then there was a couple other collage teachers. that had different requirements. "higher blah blah paper work" they had to go by.  stuff already in place. this is more for classes that had already been around for some time ((non IT / tech stuff)) language, math and like. 

In reply to ryan sanders

by Natalie Denmeade -

Andrew Downes is the man to learn from about Tin Can Api. He wrote the plugin in the Moodle database and has a great website and an iMoot presentation available. Seems Andrew has recently move to work with Tin Can full time. That is great news for education. I tried implementing Tin Can Api statements and succeeded. The instructions were very thorough. There is so much potential there, its great to see eager minds exploring it Ryan!

http://tincanapi.co.uk/

I made a poster a few years ago on Moodle and gamification. I have redesigned it to summarise  options for games in Moodle. What do you think?

http://bit.ly/1Dto9PY

http://bit.ly/1K6rEVB

by ryan sanders -

Natalie

if you could print the picture out on say 1 or 2 pages with glossy paper. and hand out at say a conference. that would be a very informative doing!

being on internet and being able to link to it even better!  suggest doing a "insert image" into this thread. 

thx for video BEH!  no wonder why i'am having problems with TIN CAN API.  "i did this" vs "event, condition actions",  and use of "verbs" vs sentence structure explanation. or rather Rules ECA explanations. 

i got through 25 minutes worth of video.  running out of internet usage for the billing period... and i thought kids/teenagers were bad. *yikes*

In reply to ryan sanders

by Natalie Denmeade -

I made a similar poster on gamification a few years ago which did get distributed and translated into four languages!  See: bit.ly/mfm2013 . This focused more on player motivation and encouraged diversity in assessment choices.

And yes I do take it to conferences. I am a regular presenter at Moodle Moot and iMoot. I have recordings online explaining it in depth smile Last year at Cairns I facilitated two workshops on gamification and was surprised to see so many people from the uni sector interested. 

ps. The embedded images took up too much room as they had to be large enough to read the font.

by Matt Bury -

Firstly, I hope Tin Can API has found a way to get over SCORM's narrow definition of a learning interaction where every solution to a learning objective is a test. Never mind teaching to the test, SCORM is teaching with tests.

I also hope the folks at ADL have learned their lessons from SCORM's mixed reception over the years and are making the new Tin Can API more accessible to software developers and curriculum developers. Here's an extract from a blog post I wrote a while back:

"Finally, SCORM is incredibly complicated and difficult to understand. Here's an extract from a user's post on Moodle SCORM support forums:

"Right now I'm trying to figure out how to do basic SCORM compliancy (e.g. I have an authorware file with pictures of my cats and their names, buttons are there, one even has a quiz question)  How do I go from there to saying "Haha!  This is SCORM Compliant!  These are the steps to follow to ensure our product complies and we get paid!”  I've downloaded the tools off of adlnet, and I'm driving myself crazy at this point.”

And the reply:

"I feel your pain. I spent the last two years hoping for such a solution, and the bottom line is that the solution only exists by pouring over the documentation on the ADLnet.org site. Here's the nutshell, but if you do a project for the navy with only this information, you will run into trouble. The best I can do for you is point you to ADLs "SCORM 2004 Conformance Requirements” pdf file and offer my consulting services. I lived on the ADL product downloads page while I was learning to develop for the SCORM.”

I think that with the amount of time and resources an organisation could spend on adopting SCORM and providing IT support, it might in some cases, be more cost effective to develop proprietry frameworks for authoring and deploying e-learning interactions. It would certainly be less time-consuming to use one of the many alternatives available."

Additionally, Moodle HQ had to hire a specialist SCORM developer to make it work with Moodle. They couldn't work it out for themselves and the folks at Moodle HQ and the Moodle community are no slouches.

Also, Oxford University Press noted that they had to make different SCORM packages for different LMS' because SCORM was so complicated that nobody seemed to be interpreting it the same way. Buyers needed to know if the packages were Blackboard SCORM, Moodle SCORM, or some other SCORM. To me, that defeats the whole point of having interoperable standards.

Advice? If the solution you're looking for is a test, then SCORM is probably what you're looking for. Buy one of the many SCORM compliant rapid elearning IDEs, e.g. Adobe Captivate or Raptivity, and do the best you can with that. Unless you're going into large scale production (where you'll have dedicated full-time professional developers and curriculum developers), it'll save you a lot of pain, dead-ends, and wasted time. But before you choose SCORM, make sure that Moodle's own quiz module can't already do it. Using Moodle's native tools is preferable in my opinion.

Hurray for Moodle's quiz module! But don't over-use it. Remember the bit above, "SCORM's narrow definition of a learning interaction where every solution to a learning objective is a test. Never mind teaching to the test, SCORM is teaching with tests."?

Source: http://blog.matbury.com/2009/02/16/scorm-the-pros-and-cons/

In reply to Matt Bury

by Natalie Denmeade -

Matt,

There are some good discussions here on Moodle.org about xAPI and LRS which is quite a complex subject worthy of it's own topic.   I spent quite a bit of time exploring xAPI and eventually realised that it is a shame it is being sold as another version of SCORM. The two have little in common as the approach is so totally different. There is no content in xAPI - it is the protocol for exchange of data. The LRS is the record store. So the content has to be somewhere else. It is more flexible than SCORM as the actual content and structure of that content is not prescribed. Only the way that the final data / results are stored. It's more like a giant Moodle events log. It can be generated from a number of sources online /offline and collated into a central record. This can already be achieved in Moodle through LTI or Scorm.

High level development skills  are required to generate valid Tin CAN statements. Certainly not in the domain of teachers! I am hoping apps like H5P do that level and then create a top layer for teachers to add specific content. Form that point of view it is more complex than SCORM. 

For longer learning interactions using Articulate or Captivate and exporting as TIN CAN Api compliant will be the same process as producing SCORM now. I totally agree that core Moodle can do a lot of what these products offer. The responsive themes we use now are much better to navigate. It is so much easier to stay within Moodle and add pages, lessons or quizzes. At the moment I am sitting on the fence on whether Moodle needs to be an LRS, or connect to one. If I had to choose I would say that it already offers similar solutions in a much simpler way. LRS need a reporting interface to understand all of that data being generated. Moodle has awesome inbuilt reports already done so it is years ahead in that respect.

by Andrew Downes -

Did somebody mention "Tin Can"? smile

Great to see you guys discussing Tin Can and that Natalie is doing a great job of explaining things. Certainly Tin Can is a lot more flexible than SCORM and is able to track a much wider range of activities. I'd love to see it if one day all the events in Moodle's logging system could be tracked with Tin Can and sent to an LRS to be analysed in comparison to data from outside the LMS. 

On the Moodle launch plugin, somebody mentioned that it's targeting Moodle 2.5. This is true, but I'm yet to find a Moodle version it doesn't function with. There's also some work happening right now to convert the deprecated add_log_log calls to use the new Event classes that are the way things are done in Moodle 2.7+. 

If anybody wants to contribute to development of that plugin or to putting Tin Can into Moodle in general, feel free to get in touch and ask me how!

In reply to Andrew Downes

by Andrew Downes -

Oh, i should also mention: 

People have expressed concerns about the work required to implement SCORM and to achieve interoperability. 

With Tin Can, we deliberately made it so that as much of the complexity is put on the LRS as possible. This means that building an LRS within Moodle would be hard (but why bother anyway - use an existing one and plug it in!) but that it's relatively straightforward for a client activity provider to send and receive Tin Can data. In fact using our client libraries, we've had reports of people getting basic Tin Can tracking going in less than 30 minutes. The hardest part of tracking Moodle events with Tin Can will be getting the data out of the Moodle database, not sending that data to the LRS. 

That said, interoperability is still a hard problem. SCORM made it easier (even though it was still very hard) and Tin Can and our code libraries makes it even easier, but it is still hard. When tracking from Moodle we'll have to consider very carefully what data we send and how that will be handled by systems reading and using that data. 

by dawn alderson -

Andrew, hi

this post might be off kilta....but I think worth the while.

When you say:

1. With Tin Can, we deliberately made it so that as much of the complexity is put on the LRS as possible. To me this looks fab...I can't see a problem only nice possibilities.

2. This means that building an LRS within Moodle would be hard....I assume this is because of the OS nature of moodle-right? If not...why hard? Looking at the diagram.....those four components-the simulator -is that the tricky part?...or is it to do with the db design/functionality in moodle? 

3.  (but why bother anyway - use an existing one and plug it in!)  Not the most convenient of options if truth be told.

4. The hardest part of tracking Moodle events with Tin Can will be getting the data out of the Moodle database, not sending that data to the LRS.  Linked to 2-again I assume?

Attachment learning-data-delivered-to-LRS.png

by ryan sanders -
Hey Andrew Downes
  1. Tin Can ApI -> LRS (learning record store)  about all i can tell about it, is it would be good for like a "skill tree editor" in a game.
  2. overall all i see is tin can Api is passing data. there is no communication layer / protocol layer.  when i goto look at a network layer example TCP/IP it has a few layers within it.
  3. if i look at moodle. or any software tincan API relies on. as soon as a third party developer creates a new plugin, for example http://moodle.org/plugins Tin Can API just became outdated. 

in above, what am i missing, were am i not connecting the dots? 

In reply to ryan sanders

by Andrew Downes -

Hi Ryan,

I'm afraid I don't follow at all. Can you explain a bit more of what you're saying and/or asking? 

Just to check that we're talking about the same thing, Tin Can API is this: tincanapi.com whereas TCP/IP is something completely different that's related to how the internet fundamentally works. 

by ryan sanders -

Hey Andrew

sorry about previous post. off in my own little world. 

below links (work in progress)

i need "rules events, conditions, actions" at the tincanapi so i can pass entire set of "rules" back and forth between software.  and i need to be able to load up "custom sentence structures"  (not just pre-defined verbs).  see https://github.com/bobthecow/ruler   scroll down to "combine rules" and other logic of bobthecow/ruler in tincanapi.  i need to pull up a list of variables and there types from one software, and push them into another software, and have them load up in different rule sets (custom sentence structures).  

i need the visual programming found in scratch.mit.edu  as well as the Rules ECA (event, conditions, actions) i need to push/pull (2 way communication) between software.  so if say a monster in scratch.mit.edu dies. i need to be able, to pull up a list of monsters, with an option "unit dies" in moodle (still in research advanced editor).  these have nothing to do with pre-defined verbs, events. i need to load them up via xml,json, in the communication layer. and passing of data and logic if, then, else, foreach, dowhile stated and defined in tincanapi. i need the basic math functions, and comparison operators. as well.

if i take an "object" OOP (object oriented programming) and pass it into a JSON.  so i get say monster(health(min:50, max:100),monster_type:undead,name:codjer) from a game engine, i need tincanapi.  to pass monster type, health type, name array through xml to another software. so i can load up a different "customized sentence structure" and be able to drill down. so that i could make a statement of..  if monster("codjer") grade is between (30 and 100) then send email to student("johns") or if student(mike) dies then make a mark in gradebook(student(mike), grade(F)) ya sentence structure kinda funky in examples, but that is what i am looking for.  i am not looking for tincanapi to define verbs for me. i need to be able to make "sentence structures" for myself. and be able to send sentence structures back and forth between software. so i can see if UNIT DIES then do THIS ... if (event_type(object_type)), (condition_type), then do (action_type) in moodle. 

when i goto tincanapi.com all i am seeing is a long list of verbs that covers a lot of things. but i am not see anything of the above.  hey i get the list of verbs. and (do not remember if all i saw was just event, or just action types). i am not seeing the extra, i was hoping to see. and wondering if i am just not connecting the dots some place?  or if i am looking at something simpler. that would qualify more like a "skill tree editor" in some game. were it has more of a limited very defined structure to it. and that is structured directly to the game engine, and that structure can not be used out side of the game engine. 

my internet is on a fritz. they are working on gateway unit, is what i have been told sad  hopefully this goes through, and does not result in a double post.

In reply to ryan sanders

by ryan sanders -
adding another example to my last post.

if say www.wikipedia.org inserted some <xml>  into there website. that denoted (rules ECA).  so that a teacher, could pull link up into moodle. from www.wikipedia.org and obtain a list of "event types, condition types, action types" from the page.  along with a list of variable types.  all through xml  otherwords through tincanapi.  then as a teacher, within moodle. and setting up some activity for students to read about history of (_fill in blank_) and being able to capture what that page gives for events, conditions, actions. i could say hey. student needs to read for X length of time. or do a page edit to a wiki page. or find out if page has to many words above person "reading level"   i need other software, and the developers to offer up the rules (ECA) in there own words.  and then i need to be able to at management systems, such as moodle or a LRS (learning recording store) software. be able to push/pull rules ECA. and adjust things.  in a visual programming way such as scratch.mit.edu, and many other websites like it.

i should not need to create a custom plugin for each software. in there native programming code. it would be nice to simply pass rules ECA back and forth.  and let each software have there own rules eca code in them. 

In reply to ryan sanders

by dawn alderson -

is it not worth thinking about starting small?  TinCanAPI....it is obvious to me that LRS/LMS communications need to be finely grained for what you want Ryan.....sentence structures....and while I may be wrong.....sentence structures come with semantics....(more depth-as opposed to verbs)...I said I could be wrong, of course.

Alternative thinking for joining the dots (poss)=  H5P and some further innovation with conditional activities.....I think the latter has scope to offer a much broader repertoire of choices/functions-building on the premise of what it is set up to do. 

by Natalie Denmeade -

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for joining in.. this is really feeling like a giant dinner table with cross conversations going on  - and you never know who is listening ;)

As you are here... can I ask... if I have a test LRS set up on Watershed demo should it work with the Moodle plugin to show an activity stream? Will it show a range of activities eg Moodle activities that are tin can api compliant, the book marking tool, and the checklists from my Watershed account?  I have entered the LRS end point and authentication details but still get no results - just  a blank box (Moodle 2.7). (Perhaps I should be posting this question somewhere else.)

I have used Rustico's Scorm cloud successfully but tried to install Learning Locker on Amazon Cloud hosting but got lost somewhere with security keys. If Watershed is limited as a demo only is there a free simple LRS I can use for proof of concept?

I was googling some links for Ryan  and see that you have joined the TIn Can Api team. That is great news! I researched Tin Can for quite a while a few summers ago and really found some clarity when I came across your tincanapi UK site. The whole solution is really quite simple... but a shock coming from such a a complicated background as the  SCORM world.

by Andrew Downes -

Hi Natalie,

The best place to ask about the plugin is github https://github.com/garemoko/moodle-mod_tincanlaunch/issues or to email me directly andrew.downes@tincanapi.com. As a rule I don't follow Moodle forums due to the inability to subscribe to a single thread so that's a bad way to contact me! I picked this up because it's on the internet and you used the term "tin can api" so it came up in my daily Google search. 

On to your question, if you got the plugin working in Cloud, they should also work with Watershed the same way. And yes the learner stream plugin should pull in all the data from Watershed, not just data from Moodle. I have this set up and working with Watershed and whatever version of Moodle is on my laptop (2.8 I think). Are you logged on to Moodle with the same user account (email) as the actor in the statements? I believe the plugin only shows the current user's own statements. 

The learner stream plugin is probably a little quirky though - it's only really an early prototype and needs a lot of work to be useful. 

In reply to Matt Bury

by dawn alderson -

Hi Matt and Natalie, and others.  At the beginning of reading updates across threads I could not resist a spontaneous post here. 

Matt,

when you say:

It's a highly skilled and difficult job to do well and beyond most teachers' domain of knowledge.  

But I can do that very easily...I didn't know it was perceived like that....mmmmmmmmm...it is valuable then.

Cool. smile 

In reply to Deleted user

by Matt Bury -

Re: "There was some talk a while back by some e-learning visionaries saying Moodle and other LMS platforms will slowly become redundant, whilst the World Wide Web is its own learning space! So nothing more necessary! (???)

In reply to this, Martin Dougiamas says: "A school needs to be somewhere!  (MoodleMoot Dublin 2013)", hence Moodle. And a school also has teachers!"

-- Yes, an extension of the LMS vs. WWW argument is that the WWW is like sending learners to an enormous shopping mall/centre and then wondering why they were distracted and didn't learn much related to the subject area/topic. We all learn stuff all the time, that's true. However, education should be focused, directed, purposeful, systematised learning with mediated learning experiences (MLEs), not a barrage of disparate information aimed at selling you stuff, i.e. informercials, advertising disguised as articles, and every kind of pseudoscience and quackery you can imagine on the web. If you do decide that learners would benefit from being exposed to the unfiltered web, you have to provide them with the means to filter it and make sense of it themselves. That means providing effective mediation for those learning tasks.

LMS' are necessary walled gardens that should optimise learning opportunities. I think there are some legitimate criticisms of many LMS' but that doesn't mean we don't need them. Didn't somebody once say something about throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

In reply to Deleted user

by Natalie Denmeade -

Alan ..

Yes that is my vision - see my message to Dawn with the link to a universal learning map and this overview of gamification of learning: 

http://www.gamified.uk/2015/01/29/skill-trees-gamification/

The game world is already doing this but they are dealing with a different - smaller - set of performance criteria and missions. The more complex simulations like World of Warcraft, Civilisation and Minecraft are the areas we can look to for inspiration. .. but .... let me share my concerns and doubts with you too.

The Australian Vocation Ed (VET) Sector  has a great framework of qualifications / units / Elements / Critical Evidence / Performance criteria/ . Compared to Unis and secondary schools I chose to be in this sector due to their competency based approach of flexible and holistic assessment. Over the last few years this sector has been privatised and subjected to unbelievable audit and compliance standards.  The end result for my learners  is that each assessment must be planned and handed out on the first day. Linear .. no context .... tight deadlines ..The paper work for each unit is over 50-70 pages. I teach about 17 units - so if I printed everything and put it under their noses on the first day they would faint. Actually a few years ago I did print out everything for one lagging student. In those good 'ol days the assessments were about 5 pages. She collapsed under the desk and went purple. her fingers curled up as they lacked oxygen. She told me she couldn't breath or talk much during this panic attack but this always happens at exam time and she would be alright in a few minutes.  Last year one student was so stressed that a major incident happened which I know was directly linked to me handing him a very long assessment. I know UNIs do this but in VET we are know expected to include every tiny detail  in writing up front as this will 'help' the learners - and  ensures they have no legal basis for complaint. . Most teachers are casual and expected to do this preparation  in their own time .

The tasks must be declared down to the last step and mapped to every element and underpinning knowledge and skill. Which they probably covered in the previous unit anyway but using MS Word as your technology of choice hinders cross referencing and takes up 50% of your time copying and pasting out of a National Data source (in xml) into 7 separate word docs - at least ten times. I recently was a 'student' of a similar system and was asked to type in my name on forms about 30 times throughout the process. These forms were downloaded and uploaded to Moodle. (It felt like they had Altzeimers. ) As a technology professional I know we can do better than this but ...

This person has summed up my gut feeling now that I am trying to implement my vision.  Basically it is a struggle between a Project Based Approach and a way of defining outcomes that doesn't kill them by over classification.It takes a lot of work to cross reference every element to each task or project. Who is going to do this? And will they be paid?  Once the investment (from somewhere) is made the process to update and maintain the content needs to funded as a long term project to keep it current. It feels like a new version of communism to realise that this is only economically viable at state or federal levels. So maybe we are better with messy mish mash of lesson  plans from individual teachers who haven't lost control to a central state system? At least they haven't lost heart in a robotic assembly line approach to learning. 

So my concern once I start trying use the detailed mappings is that I am created a virtual version of the paper overload. Mapping out the performance criteria, levels and rewards in angry birds is not the same as designing World of Warcraft or Minecraft. if you tried it in Minecraft it would ruin the game altogether. I liked it when I was give a detailed rubric as a professional and was trusted to deliver accordingly without having to write it all down and consciously map a gentle, organic process. 

by dawn alderson -

Oh my!

Natalie:

I see Moodle as maturing into an ideal platform for both games and gamification in the next 48 months for the 'average' tech-confident yet  time poor teacher. The other tool I have my eye on is this: http://h5p.org/ . The layer where we could quickly swap out particular data for the 'game' is held within the XML file, so a simple editor, or a link to a Moodle glossary/database could work as an entry point for teachers.  There has been talk of integrating this in Moodle but nothing  stable as yet.  NATALIE THIS IS GENIUS!!!!!!!!!  now why have you held this little gem between your armpit for so long eh!!!! Yes will just go stale in that space!

Love it.  Looked at http://h5p.org/content-types-and-applications

I specifically like the potential of the following:

Image hotspots..........popover REALLY REALLY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interactive video.....wow! Offers an opt for a range of co-participatory games......I mean even if just voice over narrative...with stopping points....see this...I have no  idea why this video (has 1, 858,865 views) along with many others that make up the Stampy cult ( this is my 8 year old son's fav!)

Presentation app....is simple....nice for groups perhaps....to create/annotate short adventure stories....including all sorts of media

Timeline is neat I think learner/player can sequence events....attached to previous game/moodle activity  (thinking about the process they were involved with) is a really nice consolidation/promote metacog tool

Same for summary app-potential

So, Natalie I wonder have you let martin know about this????

And can I ask you a question please:

Is H5P  web 3 in nature? Because of the semantic web integration implications, such as using HTML5 microformats ( I think that means able to re-use tags unlike before-might be wrong) ?

by Natalie Denmeade -
Dawn
I am glad this has inspired you!

Like Zondle.com, this type of 'pre-fabricated' content for teachers at a  granular approach gives  teachers more choice .  They  can build their session plan quickly with pre-made 'bricks', unlike SCORM and learning objects which were just distance education models  in a browser and offered a whole pre-made house. Usually a cold lonely house.

The success of teachers finding and sharing content like H5P is conceivable thanks to Web 3 potential for sophisticated curation and tagging. The Gates foundation is doing a lot to lead the discussion around globalising of tagging and names used for educational outcomes / standards. xAPi is leading the way with this their list of verbs. http://www.adlnet.gov/expapi/verbs/. These need to be in place before skill trees will work across broad collections of content.  In the meantime us humans can join the dots between Open Education Resources as teachers / coaches. Or perhaps we are Librarians ... see

I am keeping an eye on the official Moodle plugin and will let you know when it is functional. Someone has made a prototype in Moodle that is working so that is a good sign! Anyone with funding could speed this up smile Google Joubel and H5P .

I see this happening at the fundamental levels first as no-one objects to a globalised approach to learning to read your ABC's. Countries will fight for their individuality as the skills reach higher levels. A granular approach works at the highest levels  too- but there may not be as much sharing.

by ryan sanders -

*rubs chin* lots of info! *big grin* 

building off of everyone's comments. little to much to pin point each of you. and for most part just nodding in agreement to comments.

regarding http://h5p.org i do not think it is worth while. setting a standard of that nature. concept yes is good. but overall. i have a hard time with it.  i would be better off going to each company and say hey, can you create a little button. much like youtube videos. were i can click "embed" and copy some code, and then go paste it into moodle course.   each company has different software they run, and each software most like has some sort of 3rd party plugin that is different in how it is setup. and how it gets used.  with that... letting the companies do there own thing, more likely get better results. if all you want is to embed / iframe stuff into course.

i am also not a fan of XML / Json like doings. all it does is create an extra layer of programming blah!  while it does have it's uses. 

personal note. i am here at moodle.org for a reason, vs going to some other general leaning/teaching website. in that regards i do have my pride, and i would just like all games be geared directly to moodle.  

in above regards. i am more looking at a customized "activity" that is kinda of a mix between "LTI provider" and "embedding" with a little bit of a mix of Matt Bury https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_swf for stuff that requires flash.

1. you goto www.yoursite.com/moodle/course/ -> add activity -> copy/paste, upload a zip file, give a link to something.
    1. this is were the connection between moodle and game happens. 
    2. save above page.
  2. go back and edit settings. 
    1. this is were individualize settings happen per game
      1. this page would more likely resemble many of the "edit pages" of any of the other activities / resources that are found within moodle. "group settings, restrict access, title, description, etc... etc.. etc...
      2. but it would also give some additional settings just for the game.
    2. this is were i am against use of XML / Json / http://h5p.org
    3. this is were Matt Bury https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_swf would come in handy.
      1. the difference between Matt and XML /Json / h5p.org is there is direct link between game and moodle. without need for all the extra BLAH that comes with XML / Json.
    4. EDIT: looking back at Natalie Denmeade statement... <quote>The layer where we could quickly swap out particular data for the 'game' is held within the XML file, so a simple editor, or a link to a Moodle glossary/database could work as an entry point for teachers. </quote>   
      1. XML as in "game settings" on this given "edit settings page".  i might be willing to accept. but i am going to need a bit more push. 

p.s. no pictures yet, i have idea. but. have a feeling above is going to change rather rapidly. and i expect it to change at this point.

==============

i am still a newbie to most of this. and still playing major catch-up to all of you.  with that *thank you!* for all the stuff up to this point. and more to come hopefully! it is appreciated *heart felt smile*

by ryan sanders -

====================

making games easier for teacher adjustment on the fly quickly and easily = compromises

• a kid finding some sort of script of how to cheat on internet (fairly possible)
  • security, so some teacher and or student, does not take out moodle, (delete everything, or adjusting there grades). = not as adjustable as you might want them to be.  other words, this is how this game is setup, you have these handful of options. to adjust, but not much beyond that. 
  1. the following = high risk of security and high risk of cheating. but easy to adjust pretty much anything via teacher and/or student. high learning curve to use and adjust as a teacher.
    1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap!_(programming_language)
    2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_(programming_language)
    3. http://gamefroot.com/
  2. majority if not all of these games. less risk of security issues perhaps non at all (within reason), still high risk of cheating, but not as easy to adjust. you may only get a handful of settings to adjust these games.  lower learning curve to adjust and use as a teacher
    1. http://www.eslgamesplus.com/
    2. http://stories4learning.com/moodle/pluginfile.php/350/mod_resource/content/1/index.html
    3. http://elearningbrothers.com/the-top-10-best-elearning-game-templates-in-2013/
    4. http://www.arcademics.com/
    5. http://www.primarygames.com/
    6. http://www.gamesgames.com/games/educational
    7. http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/science_experiments.html
    8. http://www.theproblemsite.com/
    9. http://www.ismartboard.com/smartboard-math-games/grade-9-10-11-12/
    10. http://www.vocabulary.co.il/ninth-grade-vocabulary-games/
    11. https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_swf
    12. http://www.manythings.org/
    13. http://a4esl.org/

=======================

html5 / javascript / css / php games will more likely lend themselves easier to adjust for moodle. due to it would be in same programming languages that moodle is built off of.  and ability to easily adjust some css / javascript / template on the fly possibly. including colors / font type / font size to deal with accessibility / disability types out there.

flash = not as easy to adjust, (say change a graphic image, or move score board around, may have issues with accessibility  / disability type of doings.) more steps are required to adjust fundamental looks and behavior of flash games. (within reason) ((more along the lines of refeering to "point 2 above" listing all of the small quick little games))

=========================

pro's and con's, darn if you do, darn if you do not. 

what compromises are you willing to deal with? 

In reply to ryan sanders

by dawn alderson -

Hi,

I would like to reply to Alan and Ryan, if I may.

Polite- hat on here. A struggle, bit of a neck crane....trying very hard tongueout May not succeed,,,but trying is important-right.

Alan, re: I teach in a very spontaneous manner, picking or preparing materials according to the target audience and my estimation of what will work.  It's very individual and I'd challenge any policy maker to define how it's done. However, I'm not the only one. Flexible, reflective and creative teachers are everywhere!  How about you change teach/teacher to learn/learner...and what does that sound like? 

Nope, it is incorrect to say: Piaget style learning is basically linear, his theory was linear...how that gets translated into practice is different across contexts...and it was Margaret Donaldson who contradicted his theory in that her research with children showed cognition can develop sideways...just like the spontaneous way you teach Alan. Children can dip in and out of the stages for development....

re: but Vygotsky and his 'Zone' is a multi-dimensional learning space. One doesn't really know what choices are at the next junction. This could be said for all constructivist theories/application if we are to consider Piaget's theory as non-linear.

Thus the palette of games might be very useful , or on the other hand even no use at all.  Who will know? But nice if they are there. Nice if they are there....I am still not getting the rationale...who knows about useful? Please, having lots of stuff....does not equate to being used/useful....too much choice...now where I have I heard that before? 

Ryan, my compromise...to see you shift out of your comfort zone with what you safely know-'nice if it is there'!!!!

cool

D

by ryan sanders -

i am hesitant to make a list of websites / companies and start calling, and see about bringing stuff directly into moodle via activities.  part of issue. is needing a back bone errr some sort of standard, that can be applied to list of all games in general.  i am also not confident in the games i have seen. to me they do not build up to a point. instead they just do overview. and they are geared to folks that already know information.  to me this does not seem like a good way to focus energy. 

looking at moodle -> course -> activities -> quiz  and then www.moodle.org/plugins -> activities -> quiz -> all the third party addons/plugins.  the overall quiz like ability to adjust things. is what i am not seeing in the learning games.  

being able to have a teacher insert a list of words. "cow, horse, shark, whale, mouse, etc..." and then add "plural" to a setting of a game. might be more useful.

========

being able to say 

• array_A = (1,2,3,4,5)
  • math_type = (-,+,x)
  • array_B = (5,6)

and then the game covers subtraction, adding, multiplying over 1 through 5 by 5 through 6 would be a way to narrow down focus and set limits of the game.  i would assume game starting from easy, 1+1, and working it's way up to 5x6 and mixing things up some.  

it is kinda pointless tossing a student into a game were they are doing fractions / ratios / multi add, subtract, dividing, if they have not even reached 10x10 in multiplication tables. i felt rather challenged as an adult that i thought was good at math. and some of these games were so far above stuff. it just boggled my mind, and i was purposely getting some stuff wrong in attempt to keep game low level as if i was a younger kid.

======

• being able to drop a list of words into a "crossword puzzle" and then students picking some picture outline of there favorite cartoon character being useful.  possibly giving option to print it out. and/or use different colors / markers within the game interface on the computer.
  • being able to, upload a bunch of pictures of different animals, and then names. into a game, and then selecting some sort of "sentence pattern" to be used to test the students. would be useful.   "the customization" = useful, not the pre made product that can not be changed = not useful at least in my eyes.
  • being able to launch some racing game. and each student having different questions/answers they must meet. to kinda level the playing field.  one student gets 1 through 7 x 6 multiplication, while another student gets 3 through 10 x 3 through 8 for multiplication tables. 
  • being able to upload videos of A-Z of someone with video directly on there mouth, showing movement of jaw and tongue and teeth useful. if tied to some sort of feed back system. in united states it would be sesame street, or pbs.org learning tv shows. 

==================

to the above. i have been trying to brainstorm of how some sort of standardized way "easy way" that could be replicated over many games. so the information could be written up in say moodle docs. and then shown to a game programmer. and say this is what i need. and this is the information i need sent back to moodle. so as a teacher can track students progress and trouble areas, and adjust game to each of there students. vs sending the teacher all over internet trying to find some specific game, that just gives details about what they want the students to go through.

a badge, a score, a level, a time does not cut it for me.  questions gave, and answered received = getting better. *looking at* Dynamic assessment in Moodle. Possible?

In reply to ryan sanders

by Matt Bury -

Re: "html5 / javascript / css / php games will more likely lend themselves easier to adjust for moodle" -- Actually, Moodle presents problems to developers who want to deploy multimedia and multi-part apps/presentations in Moodle because of the way the file management system works. On Moodle.org forums, developers are almost always directed to wrap their games and apps up as SCORM modules.

This is one of the many reason why I developed the SWF Activity Module (for deploying multimedia and multi-part learning interactions) and the Presentation module for HTML5 multimedia and multi-part slide show presentations: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_revealjs (It's essentially a wrapper and wizard for the RevealJS presentation Javascript slide show library).

In short, Moodle "out of the box" is a particularly poor platform for deploying synchronised multimedia apps and presentations. It's heavily dependent on 3rd party plugins in this respect.

In reply to Matt Bury

by dawn alderson -

So Matt (hi)

you are adding weight to the reasoning in Natalie's post there (I think):

http://h5p.org/ . The layer where we could quickly swap out particular data for the 'game' is held within the XML file, so a simple editor, or a link to a Moodle glossary/database could work as an entry point for teachers.

D

by john Simpson -
Of course I meant teaching English online in a complete course using all the useful tools that moodle has, games included. That would include news and magazine articles with pictures, photos, and complete with audio. Comics again with audio. Video with english subtitles, plus quizes incorporated with text, pictures,cartoons, audio & video, and the more interractive it can be the better.

Of course, the lower the level, such as beginner, the more games, graphics and audio required.