Can a learner nominate a teacher to mark completion?

Can a learner nominate a teacher to mark completion?

by Francis Le -
Number of replies: 6

Hi

Is it possible in Moodle (2.7) for a learner to nominate a teacher to mark them as complete?

Ideally we'd like for a learner to self enrol, undertake a course and nominate a teacher to mark them as complete.

By way of background - we are operating in a corporate context. We have approx 20 professional learning courses that we are thinking about publishing through Moodle. We have about 50 thousand staff who will be required to undertake these courses. These learners are across 2000 sites, and there would probably be around 5000 staff, across the sites, who would be nominated as teachers.

I understand we could follow a more standard model where teachers/managers are assigned to the course. However, it feels like this would be difficult/time consuming to administer these courses given the volume of teachers and learners - especially when learners nominate their teachers.

Note: Our teacher-learner roles and relationships are not currently in Moodle. The teachers do not exist in any LDAP group.

Any thoughts or feedback appreciated - I am a Business Analyst, new to Moodle and trying to get a feel for its ability to fit our requirements.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francis Le

Re: Can a learner nominate a teacher to mark completion?

by Francis Le -
Hello to the community - would appreciate any thoughts on the above. Also let me know if it belongs in another forum
In reply to Francis Le

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Would the Feedback module be useful in this? It could be the last activity in the course, where the students could answer the question about which teacher they'd like to have review their stuff/mark them complete. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Provasnik

by Przemek Kaszubski -

My rough and totally untested idea for a workaround:

1. Set up empty groups in a course with just the teachers in them - each with a different access key.
  2. Suspend students' enrolment before the time they need to choose their evaluator.
  3. Ask them to self-enrol again using group access keys - according to their teacher preference.
  4. Whatever activities are set for evaluation, make them with the group mode "Separate students".
  5. Adjust teachers' capabilities so they don't see all the groups.
?
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Francis Le -

Thanks for all your thoughts - very helpful. I can see that our requirements are not seamlessly supported by standard functionality. However, I can also see that there may be ways we can "meet in the middle" (changed business processes, solution customisation or workaround), so to speak.

In reply to Francis Le

by Przemek Kaszubski -

Thanks. Maybe one day Moodle will have a solution for you - considering it's all student centred. I think though that in the first place support for groups and groupings in courses will require major systematization and simplification of use. One example: support for different deadlines on the same activities for different groups.

BW

In reply to Francis Le

by Chris Wharton -

Hi Francis. 

This sounds like an interesting idea. I've never heard of it being done with Moodle before. Grading is designed to be a teacher-led process. I'd say this would need a custom plugin to be developed, and recommend talking to a Moodle Partner about it. 

I think that a better option would be to set up activity completion and course completion in your courses,  using the standard teacher roles and reports to come up with a suitable process. A lot can be automated to make things easier.