Allow customizing the naming scheme of auto-create groups with Generico filter (M2.8.3)

Allow customizing the naming scheme of auto-create groups with Generico filter (M2.8.3)

by Hartmut Scherer -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all,

Currently the naming scheme in auto-create groups is restricted to the two symbols @ and #. How difficult would it be to expand the naming scheme and allow the Generico filter to be included? 

If the Generico filter is enabled, groups with only one member will get a more meaningful name than currently possible. In a Generico template I can add in the body of the template:

@@USER:SIRNAME@@, @@USER:FIRSTNAME@@

The result of auto-create groups with Generico filter enabled:

Group name: Scherer, Hartmut (currently only 'Group A' or 'Group 1' is possible)

Member: Scherer, Hartmut

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

Re: Allow customizing the naming scheme of auto-create groups with Generico filter (M2.8.3)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I, for one, was unaware of this filter. Might be better to contact the maintainer directly (or add an Issue on the Github page)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Allow customizing the naming scheme of auto-create groups with Generico filter (M2.8.3)

by Hartmut Scherer -

Thank you for your reply, Howard. I will write to Justin Hunt.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

@Hartmut,

I think you have a great idea there. It most likely would mean having to modify core Moodle code instead of the Generico filter. The change would probably need to be in ...yourmoodle/group/autogroup.php or autogroup_form.php

@Howard,

The Generico filter is one of the most versatile add-ons for Moodle available. With both the filter and its Atto button plugin installed, you can very quickly and easily customize lessons/content anywhere in Moodle to include peoples names (or any other text), display a video, add a calculator, add a Desmos Graphing Calculator, etc. Every time I have had some free time to play with it, I have discovered new uses for it.

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

@Howard It's really big here in Japan.

Got your message Hartmut. It might work, but like Al said, it probably requires a change to core. That is because the text won't be filtered. Generally only text that was entered via the html editor gets filtered. We could post on the tracker and see if anyone sees a problem with a change of this nature.

The other problem is that the user variables (eg @@USER:LASTNAME@@ ) pull their data from the currently logged in user. So Generico would need to be changed to do something like this.  I literally  don't know if that's a good idea or not. I am thinking security/privacy concerns. 

But I love the concept, it would be good if we could make it happen.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi all,

Thank you for your kind responses and all considerations that you shared here. I am glad for people who have programming skills and are able to look at ideas from a developer's perspective. 

I added a comment in MDL-49307 and hope, it will inspire others to look for alternatives regarding the naming scheme in groups and groupings. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Justin,

Is it possible to have another requirement in the Generico filter setting, which checks the capability of the user if necessary? At the moment all templates are available for logged in users. If a template should only be available for users with teacher capability or higher, the site admin should check a box for required capability. This setting may help to avoid security/privacy issues.

With kind regards,

Hartmut