upgrade 2.2.11 to 2.8.3 File exists

upgrade 2.2.11 to 2.8.3 File exists

by Ronald Wiplinger -
Number of replies: 3
Today is my big upgrade day! I upgraded from 2.1.1 to 2.1.10, and further to 2.2.11.

At the next step I want to upgrade to the latest version 2.8.3

The web page (admin/index.php?confirmupgrade=1&confirmrelease=1&confirmplugincheck=1&cache=0)
informed that it is updating the to a new version and showed me:

Converted unsigned/lob columns in MySQL database - 297/297.

100%
There it sits for a long time.

After 40 minutes, I gone to another browser tab to the site and it told me to upgrade. I followed that advice and it stops now at:

mod_page

Success

mod_quiz

Again, nothing happens. I checked the apache log and find:

[Fri Feb 13 15:30:09.249914 2015] [:error] [pid 11801] [client 192.168.178.1:41774] PHP Warning:  mkdir(): File exists in /var/www/www.mm.net/lib/setuplib.php on line 1368, referer: http://www.mm.net/admin/index.php
[Fri Feb 13 15:30:46.471327 2015] [:error] [pid 10790] [client 192.168.178.1:42848] PHP Warning:  mkdir(): File exists in /var/www/www.mm.net/lib/setuplib.php on line 1368

Looking at the code referred by the error:

head -n 1368 www.mm.net/lib/setuplib.php |tail
            throw new coding_exception($dir.' directory can not be created, file with the same name already exists.');
        } else {
            return false;
        }
    }

umask($CFG->umaskpermissions);

if (!file_exists($dir)) {
        if (!mkdir($dir, $CFG->directorypermissions, true)) {

This piece of code does not reveal to me, why it stopped there.

How to fix it? (I know it is Friday the 13, but that should not be the reason wink  )

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ronald Wiplinger

Re: upgrade 2.2.11 to 2.8.3 File exists

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Those warnings are fairly common and I don't think are the source of your problem.

How many quizzes (and attempts) do you have? The upgrade could, potentially, take a long time depending on your hardware. You're making a big jump - if having problems, I would try going from version to version. Latest version of 2.3, latest version of 2.4 etc etc

In reply to Howard Miller

by Ronald Wiplinger -

Although it was an ERROR and not a Warning, it eventually finished - After I tried several times to go to the site, it came up wanting to upgrade and gradually each time less things were to do.

I am now testing if it is working.

A couple of things came up:

It reported that hotpot is missing. I clicked on download and it also said that the directory is not writeable.

Which directory does it want me to +w ?

How to install the hotpot download file?

I used to have colors at 1.9, ... now it is all white background. I checked the Site Admin -> Appearance -> Themes but cannot find any useful settings. Where do I find a guidance how to setup the theme/appearance?

I forgot a lots since I set it up original in 2010 ;-(

In reply to Ronald Wiplinger

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ronald,
I'm glad to hear your upgrade finished successfully !

If you need the HotPot module for Moodle 2.x, you can install it any one of the following ways:

• using the Moodle interface
    you will need to make the "mod" folder, within you main Moodle scripts folder, writeable. Then login to Moodle as admin and navigate to the "Plugins overview" page

If your site has no HotPot activities and you don't intend to use the HotPot module in the future, then you can safely remove all trace of the HotPot module by selecting "Uninstall" from the "Plugins overview" page.

Once you have installed or uninstalled the HotPot module, the messages about it being missing will disappear smile

BTW, if you wish to install the HotPot question import script, you follow a similar procedure to installing the HotPot module. If installing via the Moodle interface, you will need to make the "question/format" folder within your Moodle scripts folder writeable. The zip file is available here.

all the best
Gordon