upgrading 1.9.19 to 2.2

upgrading 1.9.19 to 2.2

by Terry Nolan -
Number of replies: 9

Hi all,

I am upgrading Moodle 1.9.19 to 2.2.  This is on a test server and I am using command line to checkout and get the new version.

It did the server check and that was fine.  Now I am on the Plugins check page and I hit the Upgrade button.

Currently it is just sitting at the plugins check page and has been for about 2 hrs.

Should there be some indication of what it is doing or should I just wait until that page stops whatever it is doing?

I have not done an upgrade before so am not sure what I should be seeing at this point.

Thank you,

Terry

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Terry Nolan

Re: upgrading 1.9.19 to 2.2

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

No - I don't think it should.

Make sure you have Debugging enabled in your config.php (see config-dist.php for the lines). Try again.

It's also worth trying the web upgrade (again with Debugging on) to see if it makes a difference. 

If there's anything you are not telling us and you have had a *failed* upgrade, make sure you restore both the database and moodledata before trying again wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by Terry Nolan -

Hi Howard,

Thank you for your reply.

I did the upgrade to 1.9.19 without issue.  So no failed upgrades (yet)

I turned on debugging and clicked Upgrade on the Plugins check page.  Again it just sat for a bit.  So I clicked Reload Page and these are the types of errors I am seeing:

Invalid get_string() identifier: 'modulename' or component 'mod_book'. Perhaps you are missing $string['modulename'] = ''; in mod/book/lang/en/book.php?

Notice: Undefined variable: course in /home/toolkit4/public_html/dev/blocks/fancy_clock/block_fancy_clock.php on line 7

Are those errors stopping the upgrade process?   

Terry 

In reply to Terry Nolan

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well... where did blocks/fancy_clock come from? It's not in 'core' Moodle 2.x and I can't find any reference to it. Have you ancient 1.x plugins in your 2.x code? That wouldn't help. 

Have you done something like copying Moodle 2.x over the top of the 1.9 code?

by Terry Nolan -

Hi, yes I'm sure fancy clock was from a really old version.

So it was recommended that I "march" the upgrade using git and command line.  I used git and command line to get the 2.2 files.  

Yesterday I used the upgrade script from the command line  and I can see it is stopping on either mods that no longer exist or that need an upgrade.  So I am either deleting the mod if it no longer exists or installing a 2.x version if there is one.  A lot of these mods the site doesn't even use.

That seems to be working for me so far.

Thank you.

In reply to Terry Nolan

by Howard Miller -

It's important to understand that your 2.2 code must NOT contain anything from the old 1.9 installation. Don't try to use plugins from 1.9 "just in case they work" (they don't) and don't mix up the 1.9 and 2.2 code in any other way (typically copying one over the top of the other). That way lies failure and misery sad

by Terry Nolan -

Hi Howard,

Ok.  So I should have completely deleted the 1.9.19 files in the moodle folder, then used git/command line to get the 2.2 files.  Then run the upgrade script?

Thank you for your help.

Terry

In reply to Terry Nolan

by Howard Miller -
I would have renamed the 1.9.19 folder or copied it out if the way somewhere (in case it went wrong or I needed to refer to it) but, essentially, **yes**. With bells on wink

The only other thing you need to do is to copy the config.php from the old 1.9 site. That's the ONLY file you can reuse. Even then I don't recommend it - create a new config.php file by copying config-dist.php to config.php, edit it and add in the relevant details (which you can find in the 1.9 version).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Terry Nolan -

Hi Howard,

Thank you.  That is very helpful.  

Terry

In reply to Terry Nolan

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Terry

Because of similar issues and/or while Moodle 2 is something completey different, some have taken other paths. For example freezing or archiving the 1.9, install 2.x (x could be the latest) anew and transfer what is needed to the new site. For many of them it was the content of some selected courses without users. Could be doen through course backup/restore in one step from 1.9 tgz to 2.x mbz. For others it was the users, through CSV files, then build the courses anew taking advantage of the new features of 2.x. Yes, 2.x has many many new features.