Document Viewer?

Document Viewer?

by Liz Steele -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Everyone,

Is there a Document Viewer plugin available for Moodle Assignment that would allow a teacher to view, and, fingers crossed, even annotate MS Office documents while grading?  We are looking to improve workflow.  We do currently use the Annotate PDF option.

v. 2.7.3

Thanks for your help!

Liz

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Liz Steele

Re: Document Viewer?

by ben reynolds -

Let me Google that for you! https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=moodle%20microsoft%20office

I tried the Office Add-in for Moodle at some point, but ended up not using it much. The Office 365 Moodle integration looks interesting.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Liz Steele -

I guess I would like to take that a step further and should have been more specific.  I do not want to simply integrate Office - and we don't use Office 365.

I would really like to be able to annotate as many file types as possible when grading Assignments - not just Word doc.  That is simply the most common so I thought I would start there.

For example, with Schoology one can use their Document viewer for following file types submitted by students (and some/most of the ones I would want can be annotated):

Note: Our Doc Viewer supports the following file types--.doc, .docx, .html, .odt, .pdf, .rtf, .text, .ppt, .pptx, .swf, .xls, .xlsx, .mp3, .mp4, .mov, .wav, .wmv and many more. The submission viewer does not convert iWork files, but you may download these submissions onto your computer. Not all file types (e.g. media files) can be annotated using the Annotation tool bar. 

I was curious if Moodle had something similar.

Liz

In reply to Liz Steele

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This has been suggested lots of times before, but displaying office documents in a website is quite tricky to do, without installing additional software on the server.

One proposal would be to install a version of LibreOffice on the server and farm out the required conversion to that. For a hosted service like Schoology, a solution that involves some complex back-end configuration (or even, as is quite possible, a paid license) is (relatively) straight forward to implement. For a system such as Moodle, hosted on many different sites and configurations and without the option of bundling commercial file converters, it's always going to be trickier to implement.

I suspect that if enough people got together and found some funding to do this, then a solution could be found, but there isn't (as far as I'm aware) yet a solution for Moodle out there that handles files other than PDFs.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Davo Smith

by ben reynolds -

Good answer, Davo, who is also the author of the pdf annotate module.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Liz Steele -

Thanks so much for the responses and explanation - that helps.  No wonder I couldn't find anything!!