Modle 2.8.2+ and mysql 5.1.71

Modle 2.8.2+ and mysql 5.1.71

by Stefan Dobrin Predescu -
Number of replies: 12

I created this topic confronted me with a problem for which I have not yet found any solution. Instead I found people who face the same predicament: Server install of the latest Moodle version in incompatibility with earlier versions of MySQL.

Initially I tried to install Moodle 2.8.2+ in Hostinger, for those who know it. The first error I received was related with PHP. Moodle demanded a PHP version 5.4 and then installed on the server was version 5.3. I easily passed this step. Hostinger allows selecting the desired PHP version, several versions being available. Therefore I selected PHP 5.5, - a newer version than the one required by Moodle 2.8.2+ - and I continued the installation.

Unfortunately, however, I came to a page where I got the following errors:

"Server checks
Name Information Report Plugin Status
database mysql (5.1.71) version 5.5.31 is required and you are running 5.1.71

php_extension intl should be installed and enabled for best results Intl extension is used to improve internationalization support, such as locale aware sorting.

php_setting opcache.enable PHP setting should be changed.
PHP opcode caching improves performance and lowers memory requirements, OPcache extension is recommended and fully supported."

At this point I wonder if it can be used a "trick". If it can be added a . htaccess file with new rules allowing Moodle to use mysql version installed, (5.1.71), or another technique in this respect, before to ask the host company to update mysql version or to look for another host company.

Thank you for the support and for the best solution to this situation.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefan Dobrin Predescu

Re: Modle 2.8.2+ and mysql 5.1.71

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not an expert on this topic, but from my experience I would say "no," you cannot trick Moodle into thinking that the requirements have been met. I would also suggest that you really don't want to do this anyway. You can be creating problems for yourself in the future.

Moodle 2.8.2+ is very clear, you need PHP 5.4.4, MariaDB 5.5.31 or MySQL 5.5.31 or Postgres 9.1 or MSSQL 2008 or Oracle 10.2.

The error message that you posted says that you only have mySQL 5.1.71, not any version of 5.5.

If you want to stay with Hostinger, you are going to have to get them to upgrade their components.

In reply to Rick Jerz

Thanks for the help, Rick.

PHP version is not in error and is nominated as OK:

"php                            version 5.4.4 is required and you are running 5.5.21                                                                  OK"

So my PHP version is 5.5.21. Any chance in this situation?

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Stefan, I assume you must be on the Free account with Hostinger. you can't expect them to update their servers as per your requirements. If you want to try Moodle as a FREE hosted product, then get an account at gnomio.com, there you will be able to feel the Moodle (already installed), but for learning Moodle installations and directory structures etc, you have to have a proper paid hosting provider, normally most of the paid hosting providers will even update their servers for their clients should they need it.

Regarding PHP extensions, intl and opcache are recommended extensions and not required, as if you are using language other than English, then intl extension comes in place, whilst opcache is recommended by Moodle as it speeds up your Moodle as well takes away Memory requirements from tasks, even opcache is not available with every paid hosting provider as it tends to take some portion of the actual hardware, so shared hosting providers keep themselves away from it as not many applications are making use of it, but time will come as it will be available as a standard. In order to find a hosting provider with opcache extension availability, look out if they have CloudLinux as their operating system, as CloudLinux gives you option of choosing not only PHP versions, as well individual extensions should one need to install.

In reply to Usman Asar

With Hostinger I have two separate accounts. One is free, and the other is paid until 2017. I tried to install Moodle 2.8.2+ in both accounts. The situation is the same in both. I can not install moodle because mysql versions.

By the way, I tried to find an older version of Moodle. But unfortunately I found information for almost all versions, but no link to download them. As I know Moodle version 2.5 ..... is compatible with my version of mysql. If I can not install the latest version, I think to install the last compatible version of Moodle, and upgrade it later, when I hope Hostinger answer my requests.

Thanks for all information Usman. I am going to check for CloudLinux, and yes I will use other language than English. 

by Usman Asar -

Stefan, you will be able to download the Moodle 2.5.X (and all older ones) under legacy releases, https://download.moodle.org/releases/legacy/

There was a major change from 1.9 to  2.0

then there was another major change from 2.6 onwards, so I'd recommend using at least 2.6 so you will be able to keep yourself updated with the latest plug-ins available.

Regarding the Paid account with Hostiner, they SHOULD update the SQL, if not, tell them to refund your money. One of the very recommended host that have it all is CrocWeb (crocweb.com), they are on CloudLinux, SSD Drives and fast web servers, their starting package starts from just 2.5$ p/m.

In reply to Usman Asar

Usman, you are really helping me. Thank you. 

Where did you find that link? smile So the version 2.6 is not under 

"Legacy releases - no longer supported"

OK. Going to install 2.6.7

About hostinger: I sent them a ticket and I am waiting for them to answer. I noticed that they are using CloudLinux 6.2. 

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Moodle creators are determined to press ahead with their accelerated upgrade programme, aka the version gallop, which gets worse day-by-day. Look at https://download.moodle.org (screen-shot) attached), can't remember seeing it before! I checked scrolling down and looking for this "legacy" page, could'nt find(?). Trying to be optimistic, I am happy that at least Git, the link "Obtaining Moodle via Git" taking you to https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Git_for_Administrators, haven't hidden the earlier releases.

Edit: The file picker is not loading. The screen-shot has to wait.

by Usman Asar -

Stefan, version 2.6 wont be under legacy releases, because its still supported in terms of security smile

you can find download link to 2.6 here https://download.moodle.org/releases/security/

With Hostinger, even using CloudLInux, I am not still sure they will have that PHP extension and version choosing possibility open for everyone, as I am hosting one of my Moodle on a CloudLinux hosting, and they have blocked everything in terms of selections.

try getting refund for the amount you paid, if they do, well and good, Go host with CrocWeb (fairly powerful servers they have), else do keep Hostinger forcing for the requirements you deserve, as I remember asking them for MySQL upgrade once on a FREE package, and they clearly mentioned that this will be available on Paid packages only, and as you are paid, you SHOULD get it.

by john Simpson -

I assume you have reported your problems to Hostinger? What did they say?. If their answer was negative, then it's time you changed your host with one that does accomadate the latest Moodle, and where mysql and php won't be a problem.

hosts such as hostgator, bluehost, and gogethosting.

In reply to john Simpson

Guess what?

Hostinger answered promptly. They moved my paid account from the server # 45 to the server # 80, that has a version of sql much newer. So I retry installing 2.8.2+ and the error discussed so far has NOT appeared again. The SQL appears as being OK with following details:

"mysql database   (10.0.15-MariaDB)       required version is 5.5.31 while you are running version 10.0.15        OK"

Now, the following errors continue to occur:

1. php_extension intl must be installed and enabled to get the best results (Intl extension is used to improve internationalization support, such as locale aware sorting)

2. php_setting opcache.enable PHP setting should be changed (PHP opcode caching improves performance and lowers memory requirements, OPcache extension is recommended and fully supported.)

I wonder if I'm the one who should set them correctly, or once again is Hostinger. Any help from your side is welcome and very much appreciated, as before either. Thank you. 

by ganddy dy -

Looks like it has something to do with PHP already. it's on the server side. Nothing else that can be done here but on Hostinger only.