Grading non-assignments

Grading non-assignments

by Pito Salas -
Number of replies: 4

I've on occasion wanted to grade things like 'class participation' which is not an assignment per se. I've experimented with different approaches: make it an 'assignment' and hide it, or make it a grade item in the grade book without a corresponding assignment. Both have their problems. It seems like grading via an assignment has better ui - I can get an offline grading spreadsheet) than grading in the gradebook. On the other hand it seems odd to have to call "class participation" an assignment.

Can others weigh in with how to address this scenario? Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pito Salas

Re: Grading non-assignments

by Mike Verna -

We do this often, just by adding an "offline assignment".

Instructor's here use it for participation, attendance at an event, etc.

The other option is to add it as a "Manual" item in the gradebook.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Pito Salas

by Itamar Tzadok -
If you can use contributed plugins, you can try the Dataform module. You can do all kinds of grading there in different ways. You can add different types of content to accompany what you grade. You can set automated grading for different purposes. And so on. The module has a learning curve though. If you want to give it a try and have questions, you can post them in the Dataform forum.

If you can only use standard modules, you may be able to construct some types of graded non-assignment instances with the Database module.

hth smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Pito Salas -

Thanks both. I think I remember that there had been an official "offline assignment" but now all I see is a regular assignment where I turn off both ways of submitting. Is there another way?

In reply to Pito Salas

by Paula Clough -

Yes Pito, that is the easiest way to do this, especially if you want it to show up on the Moodle page.  This one assignment type replaced all three of the assignment types that were previously in Moodle.  You just chose the parts that you want.