Course start/end date

Course start/end date

by Emilie Lenel -
Number of replies: 5

Hello

I recently posted a question on the french community forum

I was wondering whether we do have an option or not to configure a start date and end date for a course.
These settings don't exist in the standard course settings.

So i suggested a new Improvement request in the Moodle tracker: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-48762
I you're interested in such feature, you can vote smile

Thanks
Emilie

BTW, i noticed that the "Course start date" is not a 'real' Course start date parameter
("This setting determines the start of the first week for a course in weekly format.
It also determines the earliest date that logs of course activities are available for.")

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emilie Lenel

Re: Course start/end date

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can configure start and end dates for an enrolment plugin in a course - that won't let users onto the course before the start date and will not allow them back onto the course after the end date (if I remember correctly).

Is that what you want a start/end date to achieve, or is there something else you want it for?

In reply to Davo Smith

by Emilie Lenel -

Hi Davo

I know we can configure start and end dates with the self enrolment method or define the default enrolment duration for manual enrolment method but we can't configure it with the cohort sync (that's the one we mainly use).

By the way, we may use several enrolment methods, that's why i was suggesting a new feature to configure it from the course general settings.

Emilie

In reply to Emilie Lenel

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I believe there were start/end dates for courses in Moodle 1.9, but these were moved into the enrolment plugin settings, so that you had the flexibility to have different start/end dates for different groups of students (enrolled via different plugin instances).

I can certainly see a case for allowing start/end dates to be configured with cohort sync, but adding back the general start/end date may well block the current way that start/end dates are used in some organisations (I don't know how many organisations that would affect though...).

In reply to Emilie Lenel

by Nathaniel Mpamah -

I'm kinda in a similar situation where we have courses created and have those courses hanging around without the possibility of ending them. I would really be grateful if the course end date feature is integrated so that we can have courses, those courses come to an end, and then the students can locate them in maybe a "My completed courses" section. Whatever it takes, this would be a really great tool.

Nathaniel