Help with setting up a dataform

Help with setting up a dataform

by Ben McLaughlin -
Number of replies: 2

*Thanks Itamar, moved to this forum as requested.

Hi all, I am putting together my first Moodle for a music school, which has a combination of 1-1 pupils, group classes and courses. My question really relates to the 1-1 pupils.

Some of our music pupils are not following a course, they are having 1-1 lessons and Itamar has suggested that Dataform may be  suitable for  'My Moodle'  space for them. The idea being that pupils and teachers would have an area that can be used to support the lessons (eg audio examples of exercises, pdfs).

I installed the Dataform module without issue (i think). I'm still getting to grips with Moodle so forgive me if I'm asking basic Q's, but from what I understand you have said that for 1-1 tuition I can use Dataform on the 'My Home' as a post-log in landing page, is that correct? 

I cant seem to add an activity straight to that page, so could you give me a brief walkthrough of how you would set up/use a Dataform example please. I cant see any walkthrough docs or video tutorials anywhere so any help appreciated.

Thanks, Ben
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ben McLaughlin

Re: Help with setting up a dataform

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Ben,

You are correct that you cannot add activities directly to 'My Home,' but you can add a Dataform block to 'My Home.' Beside the Dataform activity module, you also need to install the block 'Dataform view' in your Moodle installation. Then, start with setting up the activity in a course and try to show the results for the students in 'My Home.' When you get stuck, post all steps of your process and your questions in this forum. I am sure you will get more help here and more people with get interested in using this plugin.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ben McLaughlin

Re: Help with setting up a dataform

by Paula Augustine -

I am also trying to set up a Moodle for a music school. Is there a way I can see how you have set this up - view the school site? I had thought of enrolling each student into their own course, so the course would simply be the student and the teacher, but maybe the dataform would be better? Would the dataform also allow a tutor or a buddy system for the student to have a mentor of sorts.