Solution: How to "unsubmit" or "reopen" a submitted quiz attempt

Solution: How to "unsubmit" or "reopen" a submitted quiz attempt

by Brian Evans -
Number of replies: 3

Moodle 2.7

I recently gave a quiz for which my students needed more time.  I forgot to change the "close the quiz" date, and "open attempts are submitted automatically" was set.  Therefore, all of my students' unfinished quizzes were submitted.  After searching for "unsubmit quiz" and "reopen quiz" and finding nothing, I came up with the following solution:

1) Change Grade > Attempts allowed  to 2

2) Change Question behavior > Each attempt builds on the last  to yes

3) Have your students reattempt the quiz.  Their new attempt will begin exactly where the first attempt left off.

4) Once they have begun their second attempts, you can delete their first, prematurely closed, attempts.

You will be left with a single attempt per student that began where the original (closed) attempt left off.

This will also work if you need to do it for a subset of students.  Instead of changing Grade > Attempts  to 2 for everyone, create user overrides for the students who need their attempts reopened. 

Average of ratings: Useful (9)
In reply to Brian Evans

Re: Solution: How to "unsubmit" or "reopen" a submitted quiz attempt

by Juan Gabriel Edu Labs -

Dear Brian,

Thank you is not enough, I really appreciate your tip, you "literally" saved my life today.

Thanks for sharing this.

Juan.

In reply to Brian Evans

by Adam Bernstein -

I agree, this is extremely helpful.

Note regarding achieving this for a subset of students:  if the quiz settings are set to allow just 1 attempt, you will not have the option to change Question behavior > Each attempt builds on the last until you add the user or group overrides allowing some users the ability to make a second attempt. The order of operations for this scenario is thus:

1. Add user or group overrides (e.g., setting attempts allowed to 2 for the users/groups in question)
  2. In quiz settings change Question behavior > Each attempt builds on the last  to yes
  3. Have your students reattempt the quiz.  Their new attempt will begin exactly where the first attempt left off.
  4. Once they have begun their second attempts, you can delete their first, prematurely closed, attempts.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Adam Bernstein

by Adam Bernstein -

Also note, regarding step #4 above, if deleting the first attempts, you probably want to simultaneously also delete the overrides for those users/groups. Otherwise they will be able to begin a third attempt after finishing the second one.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)