Drop lowest score removes score from category but not course total

Drop lowest score removes score from category but not course total

by Lisa Beach -
Number of replies: 8

I have an instructor using Sum of Grades aggregation. He has 4 categories in his gradebook:

Quizzes: 5 quizzes each worth 10 points, category total = 50

Midterms: 2 midterms each worth 100 points, category total = 200

Homework: 7 assignments each worth 5 points, Drop the Lowest = 1, category total = 30

Bonus: 12 assignments worth various points but all marked as Extra Credit, category total = 0

The course total is 285, but it should be 280. It appears as though Moodle removed the dropped homework points from the category total, but not from the course total.

Am I missing something?

Moodle version 2.6.5+ (Build: 20140911)

Thanks,

Lisa

In reply to Lisa Beach

Re: Drop lowest score removes score from category but not course total

by Mark McKay -

When you say the course total is 285, is it in the User Report, Grader Report, or Categories & Items?

In reply to Mark McKay

by Lisa Beach -

Hi Mark,

It shows as 285 in both the User Report and in the 2 views under Categories and Items.

Lisa

In reply to Lisa Beach

by Marty Soupcoff -

Can you take a screenshot/screencast of the Full View of your Categories and Items?

HappyMoodle Logooodling!

In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Lisa Beach -
In reply to Lisa Beach

by Lisa Beach -

Experimentally, I tried taking the check mark out of the "Aggregate including subcategories" box, and that seems to remove the extra 5 points. I don't know if that is the correct way to resolve this, or what exactly that changes. I don't actually see anything that looks to me like a "subcategory" but maybe I'm missing something.

Lisa

In reply to Lisa Beach

by Mark McKay -

That's what I would have done. All of the categories are technically subcategories of the course category. This setting has been removed in 2.8 I believe. 

One other suggestion I have is to change the aggregation method for the "extra credit" items to Simple Weighted Means and change the category total to 0. There are some issues with having a category checked as extra credit. This way, you don't have to have any of those boxes checked. In 2.8, you will be able to just make the category weighting 0.

In reply to Mark McKay

by Lisa Beach -

Thank you, Mark. I'm still not sure why aggregating subcategories would result in that extra 5 points, but I appreciate the confirmation. I've also passed along your suggestion about the extra credit category. Good to know!

Lisa