List language differences between Moodle versions ?

List language differences between Moodle versions ?

by Michel DENIS -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

On a M 2.7.1, I recently replaced a given text string about several hundred time in a pack using the Language Customisation tool on Site Admin.

Sometimes soon I'll update the site to M 2.7.3, and in a few months from now I'll upgrade it to M 2.8.x

Is there an easy way to list the differences between two Moodle versions for a given language pack ('fr' in my case), so that I learn which are the strings that are new, that are dropped, that are changed ... ie which possibly need some work from me on the language personalisation ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

-michel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michel DENIS

Re: List language differences between Moodle versions ?

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hi Michel,

Between the point versions of Moodle (2.7.1, 2.7.2, ...) there is no versioning done: The language pack evolves on the pace of the modifications of Moodle in that version and the time the language pack maintainer and contributors have to spend on improving the language pack. Those changes can be significant, eg if the language pack was not complete at release time. I don't see any way to know what is changed between point releases, except by checking the logs of the translation portal (http://lang.moodle.org - login, contribute, logs) or download and keep the snapshots of the language pack and use some diff tool on them.

For what is changed between releases (2.7, 2.8) , there is a tool on the language portal to see the current differences for a given language (http://lang.moodle.org - login, contribute, stage, compare strings at two branches)

It's a long time ago since I used the tool for local language pack modification. Doesn't it have a search tool to look for a word in a string? If not, the language portal has one (http://lang.moodle.org - login, contribute, translator). 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to koen roggemans

by Michel DENIS -

Thank you Koen !

When you say "login->contribute" option do you mean "login->translate" option ?

-michel

In reply to Michel DENIS

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Michel,

I think Koen is talking about steps to do in AMOS to compare strings between versions:

1. login,
  2. contribute,
  3. stage,
  4. compare.

Nicolas

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I am afraid that the tool "Compare strings at two branches" in AMOS is available to lang pack maintainers only to have the overall UI simplified for contributors. However, there should be no problem to make it available to any contributor if requested.
In reply to Michel DENIS

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

FYI, when comparing the actual contents of the lang packs, you could use the Git repository moodle-langpacks.git that is populated automatically with snapshots of the language pack contents.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Michel DENIS -

thanks David, I will give a try

cheers,

-michel