I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Also, I am not a developer, so I don't know much about what happens behind the scenes with plugins.
I recently reported an issue with a plugin, that the developer subsequently fixed in a NEWER branch. He's not supporting my branch, any longer (for Moodle 2.6). (I know that I could ask him to consider updating the 2.6 branch, but he gets TONS of support requests so I'm reluctant AND I'm hoping to learn something from this experience so that I can eventually begin to play around with my own plugin development.)
I figured that I could:
- download the zip file for my version
- locate the files to which he made changes (very clearly identified on his github page)
- Re-zip the files
- Install using the new zip file.
Unfortunately, it wasn't that simple. I ended up getting two errors:
- File version.php not found
- Missing English language folder
BOTH of these DO, in fact, exist in my new zip file, so I'm confused.
What am I missing?
Thanks for your time and consideration.