Converting custom scale to numerical grade

Converting custom scale to numerical grade

by Brian Gray -
Number of replies: 8

In another recent discussion about letter grades, Daren Smith says:

"You can add your own custom scales but the new gradebook in 1.5 can convert your raw mark into a grade based upon the grade boundaries you set (I think)"

Is this accurate? I can't make it work. I'm working with v1.5.1 downloaded today (July 14). Here's what I've done:

I have created a custom scale listing letter grades (G-, G, G+, V-, V, V+, etc. I have also changed letter grades and corresponding numerical values (G- = 70..72.99, etc) using the "Set Letter Grades" tab on the Gradebook Advanced Features page.

I created an assignment and specified the custom scale. I entered a grade from the scale for a submitted assignment.

On the gradebook "View Grades" page, the assessment from my custom scale is shown, but the "percent" column shows 0. There is no conversion from the letter grade specified in the custom scale to a numerical value.

Am I missing a step, or is the gradebook not designed to do this? Do any of the contributed gradebooks do it?

In reply to Brian Gray

Re: Converting custom scale to numerical grade

by Jeff Graham -
Hi Brian,

The gradebook is not designed to do what you want. The assignments need to return point values. If you choose "custom scale" they return a string rather than a number. There is no way to determine the hierarchy of custom scales and what value should be applied to calculate a final numerical grade.

however, you can setup your assignments to provide point values and the gradebook can combine the various graded items from various modules and then display a letter grade for the students that will be based on total points and the settings you choose in "set grade letters" from the gradebook. Remember to visit the preferences screen and choose display grade letters, and what method the grade letter should be calculated from.

hope that helps
Jeff
In reply to Jeff Graham

by Brian Gray -
Jeff -

Thanks for the info.  I have been able to convert numeric grades to letter grades as you described.

Some departments in my school assign a letter grade to essay assignments instead of a numerical grade.  The letter grade is then converted to a numeric value for averaging.  (I know this sounds backwards, but it's what they do...)

I know that I can just have them enter the numeric value directly, but it would be easier to get them to accept the gradebook if they don't have to change how they do this.

bkg

In reply to Jeff Graham

by arvind grover -
If you choose "custom scale" they return a string rather than a number.

I have teachers who wish to use a numeric scale, but need decimals i.e. 0, .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5 etc.

Is there a way to do this since it has no letter values?

Also, is someone working on a way to map letters (or words) to point values?
In reply to arvind grover

by Chris Martin -

I have a similar need for decimal notation.  I have many professors that are requesting the ability to give 1/2 points or 1/4 points on assignments/quizzes etc..... the requirement for whole integers is a common wail among those that used our Blackboard server heavily.  We're very pleased with the conversion to Moodle but hope that we can do something to address this growing hot button issue.

Thanks

Chris Martin
Northwest University

In reply to Chris Martin

by João Fernandes -
In reply to João Fernandes

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by João Fernandes -
I dunno ;) I sent them an e-mail today so lets see.
J