Unenroling Students while keeping thier grades

Unenroling Students while keeping thier grades

by Hannah Symonds -
Number of replies: 9

Hey,

Just wondering if it is possible to remove a student from a course while retaining their grades. We use a rolling over course ie. one course set up and students are enrolled and (hopefully) unenrolled once completed so they are not seen in the gradebook, do not see the course at all however the admin or teacher still able to see their grades.

Its just for legal reasons we need to keep student records for I think 7-10 years but once completed we don't want them having access to the course or being seen in the gradebook to help ease for the teacher for that year.

Is this possible? I hope I am making some sense

Thanks in advance

Hannah Symonds

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hannah Symonds

Re: Unenroling Students while keeping thier grades

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hey. We have the same issue at our school.

Our solution was to simply download the course gradebooks as an Excel spreadsheet into a safe location (and then "lock" the file so it cannot be edited or deleted by accident). Then we reset the course. The old student data is no longer available through the course, but it is safe on our computers and easy to access.

This has worked great for us.

In reply to John Provasnik

by Hannah Symonds -

Hey John,

Thanks heaps for the reply, i have looked into this option and think at this stage it is the only way possible to do this. If there was a way for the student to retain their course grades that would be ideal but i am yet to find this. I will do as you have suggested, i know we copy and save all the student exams but are just concerned that what if something happened to those hard copies we wouldn't have the internet copy if you get what i mean. 

Anyway maybe this is something that the producers can implement at some stage as there seem to be a few people requesting this option. 

Thanks again for your advice it is much appreciated

Kindest Regards

Hannah

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can suspend the students - see Unenrolment and in particular Suspended or Unenrolled?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Hannah Symonds -

Hey Mary,

Thanks for that, i have been suspending students which finish however it doesnt remove them from the gradebook and thats what takes up all the room as we have over 100 students therefore making the gradebook huge. I was than thinking of assigning the completed students into a specific completed group and when opening the gradebook just look at the active group however this will still just make the course have hundreds of students taking up space and memory. If the students were removed once suspended this would be great but we still see them  in the course gradebook.

Hope this makes sense

Hannah

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Hannah So are you saying that the setting "Show only active enrolments" in Grader report preferences doesn't work? (I haven't tried it myself)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Hannah Symonds -
Hey Mary,

I didnt even know there was a setting for that...sorry i am new to this as have been throw into the admin role only a little while ago. Where would i find this setting? If you dont mind me asking?

by Mary Cooch -
Hi again. If you look in the Unenrolment documentation link I posted , there is a section "Suspended or Unenrolled? "and it is mentioned there  -and also in Grade settings
In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Provasnik -

Hi Mary,

I'm not quite able to get that setting to work.

As an admin, I DO see the option to toggle the "Show only Active Students" item (to yes or no) in the Grader Report Settings (which by default is always on YES). For me, I still see the suspended users in the Gradebook. I assume it's because I'm admin.

For my staff (who have a site wide teacher role, not a course level teacher role), it worked the same way.

So I went into the teacher role and turned off this permission: "view suspended users"

Result: My teachers can still see the suspended users in their gradebook and the Grader Report Settings option to toggle the "Show only Active Students" item has disappeared.

Do you know if I need any additional setting changes to get that  "Show only Active Students" option to function as intended?

In reply to John Provasnik

by John Provasnik -

Hi Mary. 

What you mentioned worked perfectly!!

So ignore my last question--when I said I suspended a user, I meant I checked the suspend box in the user profile.

What I needed to do was go to the course and suspend the user at the course level.

I was confusing suspending the user account with suspending the user at the course level.