Simple idea that got complicated in Gradebook

Simple idea that got complicated in Gradebook

by Mike Kaufmann -
Number of replies: 0

Hello, 

I am reaching out for help on this one because I've spent over five hours on this and need a fresh set of eyes.   I have a unique grading system in the course that allows students to complete as many practice assignments as they want and each student is given one or two unit test totaling 100 points.   There final grade is the simple weighted grade from these two parts.

fdghj

I have sectioned off in the gradebook into "practice work and unit tests

*course total 

**** Practice work

******Practice subgroup 1

****Test 

******Individual 

******Group

The Practice Work Category is working well.   It sums each subcategory and does not include missing grades.  Perfect!

The first problem is with the Test category.   Students are responsible for 100 points of unit tests. 

The normal path is the take the individual test (75 points) and the group test (25 points) to get their 100 points.   Students who are absent on one of the two test days are given a separate test worth the whole 100points.  Students are separated by groupings and are only given the test(s) that they need.   In this section I need the grades to be calculated with missing scores counting as zeros and to calculate the grade out of 100 points.  Not the 200 points of all three tests in the category. 

The second problem is that for students who are taking the two test route the course total does not reflect the missing score of the 25 point group test as a zero before the test is taken.   The end result is that the students total grade (although mathematically accurate) always drops after adding the 25 point test. 

Any help would be great.

Mike