Moodle Tip: Easily move items on a very long course page

Moodle Tip: Easily move items on a very long course page

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Nothing new here; this has been available for a while and mentioned in forums before,  but it doesn't seem to be widely known. I was just documenting this today, so I thought I would share it as a Moodle tip - with thanks to Tim Hunt for jogging my memory on Twitter.

Being able to move activities and resources by dragging them to their new location is a great feature:

Dragging and droppig to move

However, you can find yourself trying to do tricky two-handed manoeuvres if your item is at the bottom of a long course page and you need to move it right up to the top, dragging and scrolling at the same time.

Instead, just click on the move icon - usually a cross-hairs icon as (1) below. This then displays a screen where you will see links to all the items on your page and the tops of sections (2). Just click to select the location you want to move your item to  and the job is done. No dragging or scrollingsmile

Average of ratings: Useful (11)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle Tip: Easily move items on a very long course page

by Lynn Hadfield -

Thanks Mary

That's a great tip but I could only get it to work in Safari by right-clicking on the crosshairs.  Didn't seem to work in either Firefox or Chrome.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Lynn Hadfield

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I did my screenshots in Chrome, so I wonder if there is some other issue preventing it working for you? I will go and try it in Firefox now and report back. (Edit: It works for me in Firefox 26 on Ubuntu and also Windows 8) Perhaps we should compare devices?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Lynn Hadfield -

I'm using a MacBook Air.

In reply to Lynn Hadfield

by Mary Cooch -

I wonder if that's the issue then? I don't have a Mac (or any Apple things -all far too expensive, though anyone is welcome to buy me some big grin ) Perhaps if there are other Mac users reading this, they can comment and I can amend the docs accordingly.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chris Chapman -

Just Tested on Mac and PC with Chrome, Safari, Operia and IE 11 with no problems on our 2.6 site.

In reply to Chris Chapman

by Anna Krassa -
Cool tip Mairy, thank you!!

Just tested in Ubuntu linux with Firefox and Chromium works perfectly in our 2.6 site. thoughtful

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Derek Chirnside -

8 Usefuls.  Maybe a record for this week?

Mary, can the tooltip be enhanced: 'Click once to show list' maybe?

Or 'Click once or Click and drag'

I get sad to have to remind people of this so much, and every little bit of help helps.

Is this worth a tracker item?

-Derek

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Vicke Denniston -
Picture of Testers

This is so cool. We have courses that go beyond the scroll of death to the scroll of zombie. One of the problems we face in getting people to shorten them is the difficulty of moving stuff

In reply to Vicke Denniston

Re: Moodle in English: Re: Moodle Tip: Easily move items on a very long coursepage

by Derek Chirnside -
"scroll of zombie"
That's a new one to me. Who is the zombie?  Do you become one waiting for the scrolls??
-Derek