Mentoring groups in Moodle

Mentoring groups in Moodle

by R Ali -
Number of replies: 2
Good day.

I am creating a course that requires setting up mentoring groups for students. I need to assign the mentor to groups with the ability to do similar things as non-editing teacher. I have 5 groups of students within the course and I have 5 mentors, one for each group. I have created the role of the mentor using the non-editing teacher "architype".

But I am stuck on how I can assign this Mentor user to the groups. Each mentor will only have access to the group assigned to, not the others.

Please help me out, is this possible?

I have followed the creating a parent role and linking the parent user to the student user documentation but it does not work. I could not find the "this role  relationship" kind of link I am supposed to see on the student's profile to establish the link, suppose I am to assign them one by one. Nothing seems to be available for assigning groups to a user role.

Is there some other way I can achieve this?

Please help.

Thank you

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to R Ali

Re: Mentoring groups in Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I don't think you need the mentor (parent) role for this as it would be too restrictive. The non-editing teacher role would be fine or presumably your new mentor role. Enrol the 5 mentors into the course and make sure you have made Groups with your students in - add the mentors to their respective groups and make Course>Edit settings set to Separate groups. Then see Groups FAQ number 1.6  for how to change permissions so the mentors only see their own groups.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Mentoring groups in Moodle

by R Ali -

Thank you very much Mary. Very helpful.