New Install: dataroot exposure to web, security issue

New Install: dataroot exposure to web, security issue

by Brad PIerce -
Number of replies: 3
Hi!
I have a new install 7.2.x on godaddy linux. installed by GD's installer. Not by uploading the installer myself. I placed the moodle install in the same _public_html directory as my website. In a nested directory called edu. So path would be public_html/edu/ (i think wink Security overview page in moodle says: "Your dataroot directory public_html/edu/data is in the wrong location and might be exposed to the web.>".
I know how to move the moodle data directory to a new location.( out of public_html?)
I do not know how to modify moodle to be able to find it.
I do know how to modify text files that are in the moodle directories.(but don't know which files need to be modified)
I am a newby (well, I little better than that maybe wink
I'v looked for info on this, but havnt found any. If you know of doc's for this issue, send em a long!
I would greatly appreciate any help you can give!!!!!! Thank You!!!!
Bradp
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brad PIerce

Re: New Install: dataroot exposure to web, security issue

by Tomasz Muras -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Translators
HI Brad,

You need to edit public_html/config.php and change the value of $CFG->dataroot attribute.

cheers,
Tomek
In reply to Tomasz Muras

Re: New Install: dataroot exposure to web, security issue

by Brad PIerce -

so,

I moved the "data" folder to the top level of the web server. Edited the config.php file to reflect the new location. The moodle site gave an error, wouldnt load in my browser. (niether does my reg website). Then I moved the data folder back into the moodle install location, and returned the config.php text to the original. The moodle site gives and error, and my reg. website won't load either.

After looking to find out why, It looks like "Php" is "broken.

any thoughts?

godaddy host

cpanel

thanks

b