How can I adjust the "teacher" Role to include these 2 items:

How can I adjust the "teacher" Role to include these 2 items:

by John Provasnik -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

What we need for the teachers at my school is a role that allow teachers to have access to any course, including grading. This is because the teachers not only need access to their own class (or to sub in another class), they need to grade in both their own classes as well as any class their "homeroom" students are in. This is particularly important due to our population of special ed students--the teachers, guidance, and the special ed teachers all need access to all classes and all gradebooks. So we need our teacher role to have some changes made so there is this flexibility.

Recap of key features for the Teacher Role:
1. Can have access to any class (without the need to be enrolled in it or to self enroll in it).
2. Can grade in any class

Any suggestions on where to begin?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: How can I adjust the "teacher" Role to include these 2 items:

by Peter Bowen -

You could adjust the teacher role to be a sitewide role as well as a course role, and then you would add the teachers to the sitewide role using Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Assign system roles.

However, I would test and test and test before releasing it to the wild - it is not designed to be a role like this, and therefore could have some unexpected results.

Cheers

Peter

In reply to Peter Bowen

by John Provasnik -

Right now, our teachers are set at moderators.

I created a new role that has ALL the Teacher settings, but I want to remove SOME moderator settings. Particularly, I want to remove the ability to delete Moodle user accounts (student accounts). Any idea which setting/permission that falls under?

(The reason we have teachers have broader permissions is to allow them to access and grade in any course without the need for them to have to be enrolled in that particular course. We have many special ed students and our teachers need to be able to grade these students who are not always in the teacher's course but in another teacher's course.

In reply to John Provasnik

by John Provasnik -

I was able to remove the option for teachers to delete students by changing one of the permissions to prevent! So I finally was able to create the role I was looking to create.

Only one snag--I somehow removed the option now for teachers to "Browse List of Users" under the Site Admin/Users/Accounts ... so I'll have to add one option at a time until I figure out which option will bring back the Browse List of Users cog.