Phantom red 'fail' mark in the Activity Completion report against quizzes for learners who can't have ever attempted the quiz?

Phantom red 'fail' mark in the Activity Completion report against quizzes for learners who can't have ever attempted the quiz?

by Sarah Ricketts -
Number of replies: 0
What would cause a phantom red 'fail' mark in the Activity Completion report against quizzes for learners who can't have ever attempted the quiz? - we know this as they have either been prevented to attempt due to restricted access against previous activities, or have merely never logged into Moodle yet!  A more detailed explanation of what we have set up below:

We have an induction course where learners are guided section by section using restricted access and activity completion.  We use the Activity Completion Report to know exactly where a learner is up to.  BUT, i've noticed that a number of learners have a red 'fail' mark against quizzes they can't possibly have attempted.  When you hover over all the red 'x' for a given learner you see 'completed, did not achieve pass grade' and a timestamp.  The time stamp is identical for ALL 5 quizzes in the course, which is pretty impossible.  If I look in detail at the quiz attempts, these effected learners do not appear under 'enrolled users who have attempted the quiz' so I cannot even manually remove the phantom attempt.

The workflow of our Moodle course:
We have a quiz (Handbook Quiz) with 15 questions.  The quiz has unlimited attempts, no time/date restrictions, grading method is 'highest grade'.  In the feedback section we have a grade boundary of 100% with a well done message and 70% with a you must try again message.  For this quiz, the 'Grade Item > Grade to Pass' is set as 10.00 and the Maximum Grade is 15.00'.

This Handbook Quiz item has restricted access denoting 'activity completion condition: Choice - must be marked complete' - so the learner can only attempt the Handbook Quiz once they've given an answer to the previous Choice activity.  The activity completion on the Handbook Quiz is set to 'student must receive a grade to complete this activity' - so the learner will get a tick (or cross based on the above passing grade) for their attempts.

So, moving further into the course, the next activity has restricted access denoting 'activity completion condition: Handbook Quiz - must be complete with pass grade'. etc, encouraging movement through the course.

If anyone can help me figure out where is this red cross appearing from it would be great.  The activity report is important for our staff to support the learner and we can't rely on it with this miss-information.  I could recreate the learner accounts for those that have never logged in to force the fail marks to go away, but some of the learners have validly completed previous activities so would rather not wipe them out!

Kind regards,
Sarah

We're using Moodle 2.7.1+

Attachment Activity_completion.jpg
Average of ratings: -