startup elearning site

startup elearning site

by satish kumar -
Number of replies: 21

Hello,

Greetings to every one!!!We are group of friends started working on hosting Elearning Platform globally in different languages.

We are preparing business plan to estimate the startup cost/hosting and considering other aspects.

I understand Moodle is open source software and we need to pay only for support provided by different vendors.Any estimate on the support cost or how does the support cost is calculated.

Being a startup company we are planning to host in the cloud so any information on how does the cost for the cloud would be..I know this questions have lot of dependencies we are just trying to understand the costing structure.

thanks

satish

Average of ratings: -
In reply to satish kumar

Re: startup elearning site

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What has your research found so far?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Jez H -

That its easier to ask in here than do your own research wink

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to satish kumar

by Andrew Freeth -

I am in the same position as you.

From what I have learnt so far, my advice would be, get hold of some cheap hosting for development purposes, download moodle, find a nice theme and buy a moodle book.

Once it is as you want it, migrate it to more reliable hosting and when you start to get some serious traction and volume of visitors, then consider moving it to something like AWS.

Hope this helps, good luck

Andrew

In reply to Andrew Freeth

by Freddie Batista -

NTCHosting is amazing easy install they basically do it for you and you only pay 16 a month if u need any help let me know and I can guide u

Freddie

In reply to Freddie Batista

by Jay McLellan -

I can also reccomend Site5.com - and they have live chat help 24 hours a day

10.00 US montly (less for longer terms)

jay

In reply to Jay McLellan

by satish kumar -

Jay ,

Thanks for your valuable input..i really liked site5 and features ..more importantly the cost...please keep guiding us your experience on starting LMS portal and what are the different way to startup successfully.

Thanks

Satish

In reply to satish kumar

by Jay McLellan -

Great!

my email is mclellanenglish@gmail.com if you want to have a skype or live chat via google talk -

my site is www.peruenglish.com/TestMoodle

I would be happy to help out.  We need to all be successful together!

jay

by Tannis P -

I am trying to do the same. should I try and download moodle onto my own computer (localhost) first? I have been trying to do this, and it keeps coming up with problems. Or should I go straight to someone like HostGator who offer a Quickinstall and cheap hosting? I am so confused, and can't seem to get any straight answers from anyone on here. Some people say to never, ever use a host to quick install it, and to do it yourself directly on your computer, while others say to do a quick install. If I did it directly on my computer, then I don't need to worry about a host until I've built my school program and am ready to make it go live?

In reply to Tannis P

by Mark Whitington -

We have used the MoWeS platform for our development on a localhost site.

The CH Software company closed but as it used a GNU license we can still use it.

It works well right up to and including Moodle 2.6.1

An explanation can be found at http://www.nearlyvirtual.wordpress.com/portable-moodle-2-3/

I love it as if something goes wrong I can simply reinstall or clone to a hard drive or even a USB.

USB runs slow but is an alternative for students without an internet connection.

In reply to Mark Whitington

by Tannis P -

Yikes, I'm afraid this is over my head. I'm still trying to understand why it is or isn't better to install moodle directly on my computer myself, or use a host such as HostGator and their quick install tool.

by satish kumar -

Thanks for nice suggestion..keep guiding us for any other thoughts since we have very meagre amount to start up with smile

satish

In reply to satish kumar

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You only pay for support if you need to pay for support. Many people get on fine with the free support provided here. It depends how self-reliant you are. 

Also, "the cloud" is just a nonsense marketing term. You actually need to run Moodle on real hardware that supports it properly. Make sure you understand your requirements and what hosting is actually needed. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Seth Mengal -
What the IT Minister of India thinks about Cloud Hosting

-
#offtopic
They actually think that hostings are on the CLOUD, the actual CLOUDs. And the disruption in services can matter if it rains or storms Lol.

He is the IT Minister or something.. Its quite funny, had to share reading the Cloud mentioned by Satish! ;)

In reply to Seth Mengal

The birth of the Cloud (highly philosophical)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Vishwabandhu Ji, such a clear thinker! I adore him!!
smile

"Today the entire technical system, Google, is cloud based... But there is no study on what happens in a storm... cloud formatting will go wrong, a UID card will have mistakes in the rain... some poor man's UID will go wrong... and he will be arrested...)"

Vishwa Bandhu Gupta also thinks that information stored in mobile phones leaches into the phone's battery and stays there even if the SIM is destroyed. Whatever you say hangs in the air around you for an hour, and can be sucked into recording machines and played back.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-09-02/india/30105349_1_cloud-uid-hai

@Mod: Something for the Lounge?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Jez H -

its a misused marketing term for sure but not a nonsense entirely.

i have seen rackspace and digitalocean sites running very fast on virtualised infrastructure, BlackBoard MoodleRooms were running on Dell Cloud not sure if they still do, we use clustered VM's.

it will run fine if you have fast SAN access and your hardware is not oversold.

In reply to Jez H

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"The cloud" is a new term for  "software on someone else's computer attached to the internet". So it is rarely a helpful term.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Jez H -

And an old term that evolved out of Grid Computing (which is how I view it), in fact the wiki page linked above traces its history back to the 1950's.

For me cloud implies elasticity, the ability for failed processes to re-spawn or be re-created somewhere else, for machines to be able to work together on a common problem or process as opposed to being isolated. For the entire infrastructure to be distributed to the extent that you don't actually know where something is stored or running (in terms of the physical machines it is on).

The problem is that "in the cloud" these days is used to sell anything and everything online, soon no doubt it will be used to sell simple NAS drives.

I use webhosting sold as "Cloud Hosting" which I think would more accurately be described as a virtualized cluster....

Anyway, Moodle will run fine on VM's if set up right...

In reply to satish kumar

by Jaswinder Singh -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Satish,

You can also consider "key to school" as they are the cheapest in moodle hosting and provide a very good support as well.

In reply to Jaswinder Singh

by Jez H -

I have seen them get positive reviews in the past, certainly one of the cheapest around if not the cheapest managed solution.

However I have often wondered how they (vidyamantra.com) won immunity from Moodles trademark policy:

http://moodle.com/trademarks/

As well as using the term "moodle" on their Key To School site they own MoodleThemes.Com, MoodleHosting.Com, MoodleTutor.Com....