Microsoft Office courses

Microsoft Office courses

by claudio buselli -
Number of replies: 4

I loaded some standard Microsoft Office SCORMs on Moodle 2.5.

When I open some specific popup it doesn't work (in the attached file clicking on the "avvia" button)

The popup opens at the address http://172.19.61.214/moodle/pluginfile.php/5296/mod_scorm/content/1/sco1/course/platform/interactive/host.htm and it stays blank (in some different clients there is a jscript error (see attached file)

Have anyone suggestions about it  ? Thanks

Claudio

Attachment office_error.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to claudio buselli

Re: Microsoft Office courses

by Domenico Recchia -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
In reply to Domenico Recchia

by claudio buselli -

Thank you for your suggestion (anyway I tried to set IE7 mode) but my problem is different.

With Firefox and IE everything works fine but not when it has to run wmv video file and it stops working.

If you'd like to see what happens here is the address of my test site (very slow-sorry)

http://auxmoodlesite.altervista.org/course/view.php?id=3

user = excel

pwd = Excel001$

In reply to claudio buselli

by Domenico Recchia -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I imagine .. you've already ensured that the plugin for multimedia extensions *. wmv is running, right?

In reply to Domenico Recchia

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Claudio,
wmv files are not "session" friendly i.e. you can't deliver them when the "Files Provider" searches for an authorization token before delivering them to the end user.
If you look behind the scenes of your browser (<F12> o Fiddler) you'll see a first successful download of the first e.g. 768KB than a subsequent request carrying out no cookies i.e. no auth token i.e. no content to the end user.

It's a known issue of that file format, even in Moodle: MDL-15642. Since Moodle will always check if you're authorized to access those files before sending them to you, wmv files will never work unless you'll change the strategy to serve those files e.g. outside Moodle.

That being said, if the files not served are just the wmv files, you could create a folder exposed via HTTP and within the same domain of your Moodle instance (e.g. just add a folder named /extpackages/ under the Moodle wwwroot), drop the unzipped package there and publish the SCORM package into Moodle by referencing that external package via the imsmanifest.xml file. Everything will work since the "external repository" (a plain HTTP-exposed folder) will not perform any auth check on any served file. Refs.: http://danmarsden.com/blog/2012/11/01/managing-scorm-content-in-moodle-2/.

Up to you to define if such kind of deployment could be a security issue for your SCORM content. There is also the possibility to customize the security checks in Moodle by accepting that wmv files will be always served regardless being logged in but this means that you need to remember that customization whenever you'll upgrade your Moodle instance (which should be done on a regular basis).

HTH,
Matteo