Hostgator ok for Moodle?

Hostgator ok for Moodle?

by anish srivastava -
Number of replies: 8

I have am installing moodle 2.6.2+ on hostgator. My aim is to create an online moodle for sharing study material and a discussion forum....i won't use the chat and test feature of moodle......so is this hosting feasible given i can't afford a moodle partner and my student user base will atleast be 1000.......i have heard that if i don't use test and chat feature (which involve concurrent users) my web server will accommodate it.

Please help!!

(Edited by Howard Miller to improve subject - original submission Wednesday, 11 June 2014, 7:06 AM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to anish srivastava

Re: Hostgator ok for Moodle?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not quite sure what question you have.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by john Simpson -

Why all the restrictions? What's wrong with full use of moodle 2.7? Why a dated Moodle? Looks like you need to do the same as me, and that is to change your web host.

In reply to john Simpson

by anish srivastava -

Respected Sir,

No actually i am using a shared web hosting service.....and i have heard that if the number of concurrent users become more than 25-30 the server goes down.......so i don't want to use any moodle service which requires concurrent users...that's why i am removing tests and chat...besides i don't even require these two features......i only want a forum and course feature (where i would be posting links)........my expected users will atleast be 1000....can you please tell if i remove these two features then will moodle work fine on a shared webhost??

by john Simpson -

Shared webhost? Do you mean somebodyelses-website/your site.com ? If I had a 1,000 students I would be able to easily afford my own website plus moodle partners fees. But I've only got 40 students, and that's only for the winter months. You do do charge fees to your student, don't you?

In reply to john Simpson

by anish srivastava -

No sir....i have hosted my own site on hostgator using their shared web hosting plan.....I am not charging the students...its totally free.....that's why i wanted an economical solution

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Maybe others will provide their ideas, but I don't think your server will go "down", I think what can happen is that it might "slow down".  However, to some users, a "slow" server can be the same as a "downed" server.

I don't use chat on my Moodle because I am one who believes that "chatting" is not targeted at the learning environment, and there are better tools for "chatting" (i.e., SMS, email, phone, etc.).  As the Moodle administrator, I also don't what to stumble upon social discussions.

The probability of more than 25-30 students hitting a "post" button at the same time could be low, unless you have some form of activity where you tell students "make your post exactly at 10:30".  In Moodle, I don't think that "features" necessarily slow the system down, it is "clicking" that does.  How many concurrent "clicks" might you have at any one point in time.

My advice is to pursue your solution, give it a try, see if it works, and if it works well and is being used except it is slow, and if slow, then figure out how to get a little more money to afford a faster service.  You will also be learning if you are enjoying being an administrator, or if you need someone else to have this kind of fun.

By the way, I actually have Moodle 2.7 running on a Godaddy hosted server (<$5/month), and on a Bluehost hosted server.  Both of these are my "experimental" Moodles.  My production moodle, where I might have less than 100 students working, is a VPS (GoDaddy).  There are many good hosting companies, and many bad hosting companies, and also many many opinions.  But if one company doesn't work for you, don't hesitate aborting and trying another.  Pricing is very competitive.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by anish srivastava -

Respected Sir,

I have installed Moodle 2.6.2+ on hostgator shared web hosting service.....and i have heard that if the number of concurrent users become more than 25-30 the server goes down.......so i don't want to use any moodle service which requires concurrent users...that's why i am removing tests and chat...besides i don't even require these two features......i only want a forum and course feature (where i would be posting links)........my expected users will atleast be 1000.....i also can't afford Moodle partners and dedicated server right now........afterwards i may expand and switch to dedicated server by hostgator....can you please tell if i remove these two features then will moodle work fine on a shared webhost??