Installation help

iNSTALLING MOODLE 2.7 WITH UBUNTU 14.04

Picture of john Simpson
iNSTALLING MOODLE 2.7 WITH UBUNTU 14.04
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }

I have problems installing Moodle 2.7 using Step-by-step Installation Guide for Ubuntu.

Also followed instructions using video tutorial on Youtube titled Install Personal Moodle 26 learning management system into 1204.

I wonder if someone can help me solve a problem with clear simple instructions. I have been trying to install Moodle for quite some time now, without success. Same problem all the time.

I have a laptop with Ubuntu 14.04. desktop( I normally delete my Russian only windows with any laptop I purchase)

I have carefully followed the 'Step-by-step Installation Guide for Ubuntu'. Provided by Moodle Docs.

I have also carefully followed instructions using a video tutorial on Youtube titled 'Install Personal Moodle 26 learning management System into Ubuntu 12.04.

I have followed instructions using my Ubuntu desktop. Also using Ubuntu 14.04 desktop in conjunction with Ubuntu 14.04 server in Oracle VM virtualbox.

On google searching there appears to be many with the same problem, but I can't a simple answer with a solution to the problem.

I keep coming up with the same problem on reaching Step 7: of the Ubuntu GUIDE.

I open my browser and follow instructions from Moodle. This is what I get on:

myIPaddress/moodle/install.php (and yes, I did use my original IP address)

Confirm paths

Web address

http:/myIP/moodle

Moodle directory

/var/www//moodledata/html/moodle

Data directory

/var/www/moodledata

Parent directory (/var/www) is not writeable. Data directory (/var/www/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: iNSTALLING MOODLE 2.7 WITH UBUNTU 14.04
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Exactly which instructions are you following?

You need to create a 'moodledata' directory (yourself). I normally use /var/moodledata but it can be anywhere other than /var/www

Picture of john Simpson

The instructions are in the link below your post that Jason gave. 

And thank you Jason. Your guidance makes a lot of sense. I'll be back if I have some success.

Picture of jason everling
You have some typo's in the paths if you followed, http://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Step-by-step_Installation_Guide_for_Ubuntu ,

You should be using these paths below,

Moodle Directory should be:

/var/www/html/moodle

Data Directory should be:

/var/moodledata

You shouldn't be able to change the "Moodle Directory" path within the installer, so if it does show that on your screen then you copied the moodle application into the /var/www/moodledata directory. It needs to be in /var/www/html/

JASON

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
Picture of Howard Miller

You sure?

/var/www/html is the document root for Centos et al. Ubuntu is just /var/www AFAIK

Picture of jason everling

Ubuntu 14.04 is now /var/www/html , it has been changed. Also /etc/apache2/sites-available/ the default site is now 000-default.conf instead of just default.

JASON

Picture of Howard Miller

I stand corrected... I changed it mindlessly back to /var/www on my 14.04 sites. I can't get used to /var/www/html wink