limiting access ?

limiting access ?

by Boyd Mitchell -
Number of replies: 0

In MOODLE is there a way to limit access to the students.

What I am trying to accomplish is:

Get the students and teachers profile information from an external database and make it so NONE of the students can change any of their personal information.  So, they should not have any access to that page at all.  And limit the teachers as well.  I want to make moodle let the students log in and then they only have access to the courses and information.

I've managed to get the login from and external database to work properly.  But now I also want to get all of their personal info from that same database.  And like I said I do not want them to be able to change ANY of their personal information.  That will be done by admins.

Problem 2:

In our database there is tons of information.  One thing that I think I will really be struggling with is trying to automatically enrol students into courses.  I have to have that done for them before they log in to moodle.  Students shouldn't be able to log in to any course.  And teachers can not enrol them.  I have to do this.  But, short of entering them all manually (which I will not do) I can't figure out a way to pull a specific piece of information from the database and make it so that is the enrolment factor. (in our database each student has a seperate number for every course they are taking., I was thinking I could use those numbers somehow)

Example:

NAME                   AGE                     CLASS #

John Doe                 15                          354642

John Doe                 15                          876668

John Doe                 15                          876549

Jennifer Doe             16                         769769

Jennifer Doe             16                         798787

Well you get the idea... I was hoping to use the class # to automatically enrol them somehow.  Any ideas would really be great.  Has any one had to deal with any thing like this before?

wow... that's a lot of questions.  smile  and a lot of talking.  But, even a little help on these would be better than nothing.  Thanks.

Boyd.

Average of ratings: -