Mac OS

Mac OS

by Kevin Kimick -
Number of replies: 20

I have a student using an Emac with Mac OS 9.2 with Internet Explorer for Mac (version 5.2.2) and dial up internet service. Problem is that when he accesses our classes, his browser only loads about half the class and doesn't show up the right side "Announcements" and "Recent Activity." I'm unfamiliar with MacIntosh. Anybody have any ideas or encountered this problem? Please reply.

Thanks,
Kevin K.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Kimick

Re: Mac OS

by Thomas Robb -
I don't think the problem is a serious one. I'm writing this on System 9.2 with MSIE 5.0 and am not experiencing any problems at all.

He should trying clearing the cache and/or forcing a reload with SHIFT+reload and see if that takes care of the problem. To clear the cache, he needs to go to Edit/Preferences and select the last item under "Web Browser" heading, perhaps called "Advanced" or "Details". (I'm not using an English version...)
In reply to Kevin Kimick

Re: eMac

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Does he just have a very small screen with large fonts?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: eMac

by Rob Butner -

The problem is only related to the main course pages---not the front MOODLE page! The main course page will load the first 7 topics----then cut off the bottom. It completely removes the right side menus (latest news" and "announcements" and recent activity")

Its not related to screen settings, we've gone from 800 x 600 up to 1200 x 768.

It's almost like a display cashe being filled, you can't scroll down below topic #7 and we have like 25 topics for this course----this is the only time we've seen this and it has to be with a MAC! ANy ideas??

Rob

(PS---it's out Anatomy and Physiology course)

Fine job as always Martin---CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to Rob Butner

Re: IE on eMac not rendering well

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
They ARE big courses, but I can't see anything in Moodle to cause this ... these are bog-standard tables.

I'm inclined to pin this on Bill Gates. Perhaps you could suggest Netscape to this user.

by Kevin Kimick -
Problem Solved. I loaded 'Safari' on his Emac and there it is...

by Loren Winfrey -
I'm with you on that, Mr. Bill has a problem with his Mac counter parts. I teach in a Mac lab with (G4, dual 867mhz) awesome machines and IE ver 5.2 has alot of issues, most of them pertain to seeing styles.

At least on my mac I don't see Bill's blue screen business card...

Loren
In reply to Kevin Kimick

Re: Mac OS - No Moodle reference or Logo!

by Joe Barnett -
Kevin,
Are these the sites you are referring to?

The Academy of Nursing VIRTUAL CLASSROOM Version 3.14
http://208.187.139.62/
Medical Career College of America- Salt Lake City Campus
http://208.187.139.61/

(Note: If these are not your sites then please ignore the following for these comments are directed to the owners of the above sites. However, Kevin, your email kkimick@future-nurse.com leads to these sites)

I notice that you have logos at the bottom of every page for:
PHP
MySQL
Apache
The Academy of Nursing
And 5 award logos as well

Yet . . . There is no logo and link for Moodle anywhere on the site!

You also mention many times on the front page of your Moodle software about:

an industry proven, cutting-edge online study system designed by nurses, heath care educators, and software engineers.

Our state-of-the-art system has helped students achieve . . .

This proven educational system now hosts courses for Nursing Concepts 1-6, Foundations of Professional Practice, Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Ethics: Theory & Practice, Intro. To Sociology, EMT Basic, World Religions, English Composition, IT Systems & Applications . . .

It is the goal of Excel ADVANTAGE to provide a single online source for all courses necessary to complete the accredited nursing degree program offered by Excelsior College.

With our program, students are not required to have a physical presence in a traditional classroom. Therefore, students can choose when, where and how they learn within a prescribed set of criteria.

As a businessman and as a business management consultant, I find this fact very unethical and very crass. You are in a business making money from the free software Moodle, yet you are unwilling to reciprocate by putting the Moodle logo and link at the bottom of the page and claim YOU have the best online training system ever! Yes, Moodle is the best online training system ever. Yet, you are very willing to have every other logo at the bottom of the page.

I'm sorry, but it is an industry wide practice of etiquette and ethics to put the logo and link to the originating source of the software that you are using - especially when you are making money from its use and the software is being offered for free!

I find this very telling about the ethical practices of your organization. I notice that there was a lot of effort put into Moodle to customize it for your site. It was also extremely calculated to leave the Moodle logo OFF. Not nice! Shame on you!!

You also have the nerve to ask for free advice on this forum when you openly slight Martin and all the others that are working very hard to make Moodle such an excellent piece of software by intentionally leaving off the Moodle logo and link.

What a crass, self-serving, selfish, and unethical company you have at:
www.Future-Crass-Nurses.com
The Academy of Unethical Nursing VIRTUAL CLASSROOM Version 3.14
http://208.187.139.62/
Unethical Medical Career College of America- Salt Lake City Campus
http://208.187.139.61/

Do all of your doctors and nurses at your company routinely commit plagiarism as well? It's the same thing.

Sincerely,
Joe Barnett
In reply to Joe Barnett

Moodle reference

by Tom Murdock -
A previous discussion refers to this kind of usage.
In reply to Tom Murdock

Re: Moodle reference

by Joe Barnett -
Right. Maybe I'm a little over the top on this. Yet, it is how I feel about those who try to pass off someone else's work as their own development.

It may be legal in this case, but it is still plagiarism.

"plagiarize
transitive senses: to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (another's production) without crediting the source
intransitive senses: to commit literary theft : present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source."

Merriam-Websters Collegiate Dictionary & Thesaurus [CD-ROM] (2000). Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster

Students get in trouble at most educational institutes for plagiarism.

End of rant. smile

Cheers,
- Joe Barnett
In reply to Joe Barnett

by Rob Butner -

Hey Joe---

Just a note---I personally know of a lot of improvements that were made to MOODLE that were paid for directly to Martin by the Academy of Nursing. Therefore---before you go shooting your mouth off---be informed! The Academy does not sell software or the platform, it is simply using it to deliver it's own courses, that it designed! We have always appreciated, contributed, and supported Martin, and will continue to do so. There is no requirment in the licence agreement to place the logo at the bottom of the page---read it sometime! The reason that it has been ommitted is to keep our competitors from finding things easily---nobody came to us and told us about MOODLE---we found it and have used it for the last year!!!! Thanks again Martin for the fine work and the support you have offered to us over the last year! KUDOS! 

Rob

In reply to Rob Butner

by Joe Barnett -
I am also in business, but I will tell anyone about Moodle because it is such great software - even my competitors. My competitors are people like Covey and others at that level that have million dollar sales teams. Moodle is no secret and most people are spreading the word - not trying to hoard it for their own purposes.

It's not my intention to try to keep Moodle secret and erase Martin's name from my site. I am proud to have the Moodle logo and link at the bottom of my site.

It's interesting that plagiarism is considered O.K. -
"use (another's production) without crediting the source"
"present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source."
(Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary, 2000) -
when a business decision is to be made.

Situational ethics in business has certainly got us to where we are today with ethics in business.

Sincerely,
- Joe Barnett
In reply to Joe Barnett

by Floyd Collins -

Being a proud supporter of open source and being someone who has free ware and share ware on the net. I agree with Joe, if you are looking for an edge then you should pay for a privet custom copy that is yours and yours alone, with the author indorsing your product as your own. Paying for setup and support is a different issue. To pay and say I now own this product is where you have the freedom to remove the rightful owners link and credits.

But if you are paying for enhancements and support then you are supporting not owning the product.

Now with that said,, if Martin does not have a issue with the link being gone then nor do I. But I would not remove the link it is only far to show your support to this community and this great software.
In reply to Floyd Collins

by Loren Winfrey -
I too am personally greatful for this software. I am proud to display a link for Martin. I also think tht if Martin says it's ok, then he should be able to remove it. If it is ok.
In reply to Joe Barnett

by Martin Dougiamas -
I really appreciate the loyal defence, Joe smile but in reality I'm totally fine with this situation so there's no need to get angry.

Firstly, there is no requirement in the GPL to keep the Moodle logo on the front page. Of course I prefer it in general, but I COMPLETELY understand that some people need to have a competitive edge in a certain field for their clients. Note that the copyright notice on the Admin page can NOT be removed under any circumstances - I want the admin at least to always know they are using Moodle and to be able to find moodle.org. In general, Moodle without the Moodle branding is not Moodle (shrug), so I'm a lot less interested in providing free support for it.

Secondly, Rob in particular has MORE than adequately taken care of any karmic imbalance by paying me for a bunch of new quiz features that we are now all able to use, including random questions, question import, matching questions and random short-answer matching questions. I'd like to publically thank Rob for that, as he and AON were one of my first big clients (and thus sponsors of Moodle). By default I don't talk about my customers in case they want to remain anonymous, but I always appreciate their past and present support. So thanks, Rob!

Cheers,
Martin

by Rick Danielson -

Sorry for detracting from this discussion, but I am having trouble finding a nice Moodle icon that I can put on my public web pages.  My stuff is set up as a public access web (http://danielson.laurentian.ca/drdnotes/default.htm) with a link in the top right hand corner to the password protected course management site.  Originally I was using WebCT, so used the professor icon with a hyperlink to my WebCT system.  After WebCT I moved to ILIAS and used the nice simple blue ILIAS icon, again with a link to the ILIAS system on my server.  Now I am using Moodle, but for some reason, have not been able to find a cute icon to replace WebCT's Mr. Professor or ILIAS' text icon.  Maybe it is staring me in the face, but I can't find one.  For awhile I thought about using the smily face used as the default icon for people's pictures, but abandoned it because it seemed too silly.  As you can see, right now I am using a very plain hyperlinked word "Moodle."  It does the job but doesn't look very good.  My web needs all the design help it can get.  I need a picture.

Is there a Moodle icon which for some reason (e.g. old age, poor vision, low IQ, low speed internet connection) I can't see?  If so please point me to it and I will start changing all the old course management icons which exist on my public access web pages.  Thanks.

Rick Danielson

In reply to Rick Danielson

by Martin Dougiamas -
I need some professional graphic designers to design a range of such images, but how's this in the meantime?
Attachment moodle.gif

by Jerry Jensen -
Is there someplace I could find guidelines (description, dreams, wishes, whateverthoughtful.gif) for the range of images desired?  With such guidance, I could see about having some made.
In reply to Jerry Jensen

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think that there is nothing about a ghapical-book in Moodle.

Anyway, combining the actual oficial logo and creating some standar-size banners could help a lot !!

http://www.growthhouse.org/educate/flash/cif/cif009a.html
or
http://www.webpencil.com/bannersizes.htm

I think that colors and slogans should be defined too, but we can use this thread to talk about them, isn't it ?

Ciao smile

by Rick Danielson -

Thanks.  It's better than my arial text.

Rick

by Joe Barnett -
Martin,

One thing I must say is that the Medical Career College of America's team of software engineers certainly did an excellent job of creating superior training software for their college.

Since you are fine with this, I will certainly let it go.

Only the best.

Cheers,
- Joe