Looking for Moodle data

Looking for Moodle data

by Hajer Oualha -
Number of replies: 14

Hello everyone,

I am a PhD student working on a research subject around improving e-learning platforms using datamining tools. The aim of my research is to provide real time adaptation in the moodle courses according to the user profile. 

For the purpose of my research I need to write an article that will be published in a conference where I will publish the results of moodle data analysed by clustering, sequential mining and association rule mining techniques.

I am working on collecting such data from students in my country (I am from Tunisia) with an online experiment that I launched through this website www.e-learnstyle.net (it's in french), and it's quite tricky to do so from scratch.

I would want to request anyone who is hosting Moodle courses for the possibility to provide me with their log data from their students access to the learning resources.  If that is possible I will be really grateful for the help which will be acknowledged in my article and the results of the datamining analysis will be shared.

Thanks in advance,

Hajer

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hajer Oualha

Re: Looking for Moodle data

by dawn alderson -

Hello Hajer,

your project sounds interesting, I enjoyed the slide show...although my French is really poor...I did make out that you are focusing on learning styles, pedagogy and cognition...I think!

Now, Hajer am not sure if you have posted before, do forgive me, but there was another question-recently, similar to this....and again do forgive me I always try my absolute best to behave myself in these forums...I really do...but I have to say...and will probably get told off :0)

I cannot tell you where that related post might be because all research related stuff is spread all over the shop-yes it is, really...you could press either....community forum, teaching, lounge, or even general help....and dev corner...honest I am so sorry I cant find that related link-I have tried.

So, I am going to turn to Mary. Mary-do you remember we had a similar request about using data from courses and you suggested some sample courses with data in those...we both were involved in that chat....might you know where we were when it took place? Sorry for sounding clueless here.

:0)

In reply to dawn alderson

by Hajer Oualha -

Hi Dawn Alderson,

Thank you for your reply. Yes that is on what I am focusing and no I didn't post any question of this kind before. I will be glad to have more info about these kinds of collaborations if it is possible.

Thanks in advance 

In reply to Hajer Oualha

by dawn alderson -

Hello Hajer,

OK. between us all am sure we can get those links posted here-I will take another look.

Hajer-I now need to make an announcement-because I am naturally not in the announcement thread ;)

To those observers of this post.....it seems my avatar has taken over! Here I have stated the bleedin obvious AGAIN!

We need a research forum here.

D

In reply to dawn alderson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There is some user data (albeit fake) in courses on school.demo.moodle.net - you can log in with username manager and password moodle and back up courses with user data. Some have more data than others - the Celebrating cultures course for example or the World of Water course are two that come to mind

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by dawn alderson -

Brilliant, thanks Mary. Yes I remember that data as a test piece...nothing else.

So, ethically Hajar...that is as far as it should go, in terms of using data...from sources-where the participant has no idea about what you aim to do with their input.

Closed book now, for me. (Must say-I like the data mining strategies you mention-good luck).

Cheers,

Dawn

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Hajer Oualha -
Thank you for the information Mary. Actually, since I am going to publish results in an article for a scientific conference, I'd rather use real data than sample fake data for more accuracy.
Also, to be more specific about my needs, I would want to analyze data from university students or post 16 high school students in different kinds of courses.
In reply to Hajer Oualha

by Saaid Agherdien -

Salaam Hajer

Not sure if you are still looking for Moodle data. We have been running a moodle 1.9 site for teacher training in ICT Integration courses e.g. web quest. These blended courses i.e an initial  face to face session with plus minus a month of  online support via moodle forum, chat, assignment, concluded by a face to face session. This courses are running for at least 2 years.  You are welcome to the moodle data should you still need it.   

These courses are hosted at http://www.elearning-dev.wcape.school.za/

In reply to Hajer Oualha

by ziyad hazim -

Hello Hajer

I'm  Ziyad Hazim PhD student - Computer Science - Web Mining / e learning (CMS- Moodle)

I've seen your interesting research work ... that is in the same area what I want to work for my Ph.D. study  ... ENSHALAAA in near feature

I want to ask you some questions please...

1- Can we get data set (log file)  represent to output Moodle file with in order to apply some of mining techniques.

2- Is there (already available) Data Mining tools (built in Moodle application).  ?  or if not ,

3- Is there any External Data Mining tools that (compatible) with the Moodle output log files and we can use it to make some mining techniques.

4- Can we use Weka Mining Application?  is it compatible with Moodle ?

5- Is there an reference that explain the types of format for Moodle output  (log) files.

With thanks

Yours

Mr. Ziyad Hazim ( MSc. Computer Science)

Lecturer in Faculty of science - University of Duhuk- Kurdistan Region - Iraq

(Ph.D. Student at University of Ain Shams - Egypt)  

In reply to ziyad hazim

إعادة: Re: Looking for Moodle data

by nahed nahed -

hello 

Please have you got any answer about your questions???

I ask because I prepare for master in web science and my search about data mining with moodle

please if you have any practice send it to my e_mail

"teemali1980@gmail.com"

thank you

In reply to ziyad hazim

by Paul Cook -

I ws thinking the same thing about Weka and Moodle also RabbitMQ? Did you get to any conclusions at all? 

In reply to Paul Cook

by Lorenzzo Mollinar -

Hello everyone I will also do a master's degree on data mining with the MOODLE logs, I would like to use Weka to test some algorithms to arrive at some pattern of student dropout in courses.

Could someone share something to help me get this information? I'm an administrator of Moodle where the courses take place.

In reply to Paul Cook

by Lorenzzo Mollinar -

Hello everyone I will also do a master's degree on data mining with the MOODLE logs, I would like to use Weka to test some algorithms to arrive at some pattern of student dropout in courses.

Could someone share something to help me get this information? I'm an administrator of Moodle where the courses take place.