How can students share files, containing personal content, for peer review with only a subgroup of specific course-participants of their choice?

How can students share files, containing personal content, for peer review with only a subgroup of specific course-participants of their choice?

by Rolf Cper -
Number of replies: 6

Hallo,

Is it possible (on the Moodle platform) for students to share files (documents, video's) with only specific course-participants of their choice?
The intention is that subgroups of 3 students work on the same assignment and share ideas and text fragments (or even self made video recordings).
The functionality does not need to be real-time collaboration, but a simple form of bidirectional, sequential workflow.
(Because of the personal content in certain  documents, not all students may read these assignments.)

Certain students need to read or download text (or other file formats) from their peers and review the content.
They may revise certain parts in the document, or add comments.
This means that a student should have the functional ability in Moodle to invite specific people within his/her course-class.
The author should be able to give specific other student(s) read- and download/write permissions.
The other members of the subgroup should be able to revise work and re-upload it again.
Via the Moodle Messages Block, they can notify each other.

Of course, persons with the Moodle-roles such as teacher, moderator and admin, should also have access to these subgroup activities.
(The course teacher should be able to monitor educational progress. The moderator should be able to monitor the presence of perverse language, racism, etc. The admin must be able to monitor abuse of the website, in general.)

Friendly regards,
Rolf Cper
Moodle 3.0

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rolf Cper

Re: How can students share files, containing personal content, for peer review with only a subgroup of specific course-participants of their choice?

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Hello Rolf

You could try a few different activities (Workshop, Wiki, Assignment) with Groups. The groups will need to be created by the teacher.

Happy Moodling smile

In reply to Kim Salinas

Re: How can students share files, containing personal content, for peer review with only a subgroup of specific course-participants of their choice?

by Rolf Cper -

Hallo Kim,

Thank you for your answer. The downside of your alternatives is that the teacher or admin has to set permissions for all those subgroups of students that want to work together. Thus, the workload for the teacher or admin is increased!

Friendly regards,

Rolf Cper

Moodle 3.0

In reply to Rolf Cper

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers

I believe that the group functionality is your  friend.

I would investigate in this direction:

I can not see, that permissions need to be set. Only group memberships but I never used the self selection plugins by my self

(do not forget to rate if it this helps smile  )

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Guido Hornig

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi,

Thanks for pointing out this module (https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_groupselect)

We have been using the slightly simpler group choice module (https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_choicegroup), in which students cannot create their own groups. This is useful if the teacher wants to limit the number of groups and stick to a specific name set.

Rgrds,
Paul.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Rolf Cper -

Paul, thanks for correcting the URL to mod_GroupSelect.

Rolf

In reply to Guido Hornig

by Rolf Cper -

Hallo Guido,
Thank you for your answer. I have tried out several variations during implementation of the Group Self-Selection plugin.
I got it working,  sufficient for my purposes.
What I have done is, I created 2 Moodle Activities on course level:
1. a Group Self-Selection (plugin) called:  "IV-B: Join a Practice Group".
2. a Forum called: "IV-B: Private Forum".

FLAWS
The screenshots in the Moodle documentation do not correspond with the latest version of Group Self-Selection module (3.11 , 2016090800):
The initial setting-options of minimum / maximum members per group have been reduced.
Later on in the implementation process, these parameters are difficult to adjust!

It was not necessary to make a special Grouping, so I removed this work-step from my To-do list.
Grouping only makes the workload for the admin heavier, as he/she must check every course for new student sub-groups and then manually add these groups to the grouping.

Friendly regards,
Rolf Cper
Moodle 3.0

-----------
EXPLANATION
IV-B: Join a Practice Group
Purpose of a personal sub group :
The purpose of a Practice Group is to provide a private sub group (within this course) in which you can exchange information (text, files, pictures) with two other participants.
Thus, you can practice online with other students regarding the exercises that belong to this course. Be aware that certain exercises may become quite personal, so use a password to protect your practice group.
Join or create a Practice Group :
Find a group that needs an extra member, or start your own group. If a group is still open for subscription, but locked by a password, then you need to ask the first member (= creator) for permission. You can use the Messages link in your Profile menu to contact this group-initiator.
You can only join 1 practice group at a time. To join a second group, you have to leave the first one.
Post in Private Forum :
In the Private Forum area (see General Overview: click on Private Forum), you will find all posts and files that belong to the Practice Group of which you have become a member (or a creator). All personal material is also accessible by the teacher and the admin.
Course completion :
When the last person leaves the sub group, this practice group will be dissolved and all data will be destroyed. So, if the three of you have completed the course and want to say farewell to CPER, please first leave your practice group, in order to remove all traces of personal content.
---
IV-B. Private Forum
If you want to share information with certain students only, or upload exercise-files for practice reason with a sub group, then this is the place to be. But first you must join a Practice Group with two other participants. You may need a password from the group-initiator.
You can also create a Practice Group yourself. Then invite two students to form a training sub group for data exchange between the three of you.
-----------