extra credit optional assignments

extra credit optional assignments

by gail salzman -
Number of replies: 7

I have Gradebook set up as Weighted Mean aggregation, and Grade categories as Simple Weighted Mean. I aggregate only non-empty grades. All grade items in all categories (Assignments, Classwork, etc) now have max grade of 100.

I'd like to give extra credit to students choosing to complete any one or all of 4 optional assignments, each one adding 1 point to their grade, i.e. they could conceivably add a maximum 4 points to their grade by doing all. Ideally I'd like that additional point (or points) to show up when the optional task is completed, rather than only at the end of the semester.

For example: at week 7, student Marilyn has scores of 80 in every item in all categories, and has also completed 2 extra credit tasks. I would like her total grade to show as 82.

How to do this?

In reply to gail salzman

Re: extra credit optional assignments

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Check the extra credit checkbox when you create the activity.  That should take care of it.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by gail salzman -

Hi Emma,

Yeah, I thought that too. But I couldn't make it work. I set Extra Credit as a category, with 4 grade items in it, each one with ex cr box checked. If I set category to Simple Weighted means it added way too much, and if I set it to Sums of Grades, it added way too little. I'm not seeing how the extra credit box does anything at all.

I have a Sandbox course to try out stuff, so any ideas would help my experiment. Maybe I'm missing something simple.

In reply to gail salzman

by Stacy Kimminau -

Try making your extra credit category Sum of Grades. This should allow you to select them as extra credit and not affect your total grade.

-Stacy-

In reply to Stacy Kimminau

by Susan Mangan -

I don't think it will work if it's within a weighted category?  I could be wrong but the last time we tried adding a category with a sum aggregate within a weighted category - it did not work.  We are using 2.4.2

What we usually do is set the very top level to sum of grades.

Beneath this add a category with a title such as Weighted Items and then set up your gradebook accordingly with all your weighted items.

At the bottom, outside of the weighted category but within the top level Sum of Grades category, you can add your extra credit item.

In reply to gail salzman

by Paula Clough -

Gail,

Our extra credit seems to work better if it is not a separate category, but within another category.  I have not seen an extra credit category work reliably. 

We do have an instructor that uses Weighted mean for the course and uses several separate categories with weighted mean, simple weighted mean or sum of grades. It's complex but it can be done if needed.  Either sum of grades or simple weighted mean will allow extra credit assignments.

I hope that helps.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Agreed, if you create a category for just extra credit then it will not behave correctly.  Just add your extra credit items within the other categories or you could try adding outside of any category and seeing how that affects the grade too.

In reply to gail salzman

by Bob Puffer -

I didn't read this entire thread so somebody may already have given you this information. The only way I've seen extra credit work reliably is inside a SWM category with other items.