Can noodle do what we need?

Can noodle do what we need?

by Sandy Flees -
Number of replies: 8
I have a client that I am designing a wordpress site for, and they are looking for a new way to present their training material for law enforcement.    I have a few questions on if noodle can do what they need. 

1. They said they need to have a time out mechanism, so if the user is not working on the lesson it will time out and the user is required to log back in. 

2. they need to be able to set minimum times for sections. So some parts of the test may be 5 min, some may be 10 etc.  And the counter would count down and once it reaches 0, then they would be able to move onto the next section. 

3. they need everything the user does logged on the back end and easily retrievable for the administrator to view.  They need to be able to see the info for the class and see the date and time each user logged in and what part of the lesson has been finished, also how long they spent in each section. 

4.  They also would like to be able to see all of the time they worked on the lessons totaled up.  So when the class is done, their records would show the total hours taken for that class.  

5. they need to be able to log when they go in, how many times they logged in, what questions they missed, their score. 

6. They also like the ability to be able to be able to duplicate a course, if a law changes or they need to make adjustment to some text, they could just duplicate a course already available and add or remove text etc without having to make a completely new course from scratch. 

7.  They need to have the ability for the course to tell the user they missed a question so they know to go back again and try again and re-read the chapter. 

8. They need to be able to all have sets of "programs" they can setup for agencies.  So they can sign up for a Program and it would already have the necessary classes attached for them so they do not have to sign up for each class one by one. The necessary classes would already be in the "program". 

9. would be nice if the person could search classes by how many hours it gives.  and also would show if the class is full.  

10. also if an agency has already paid for a program with a set of classes already, someone from that agency could go i and put in their agency name when logging in and the class would be free. they would not have to go to the paid area. 

Thanks! 
Sandy 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sandy Flees

Re: Can noodle do what we need?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Moodle can do whatever your client needs it to do providing the right plugins and permissions are activated. Being Open Source, Moodle is flexible enough to allow a PHP developer to create any necessary modifications.

For some of the tools asked about, like the countdown timer, I don't really know, but I suggest any skilled PHP developer could create the plugin required to add that kind of functionality. (I have never heard of one being available, but that does not mean it isn't, I have never had a requirement for one so never bothered looking.) 

Most of the questions asked around courses and testing, an out of the box Moodle already has available, but you need a good understanding of Moodle to be able to properly activate utilise the tools in the precise way asked about,  

There are some limitations though, e.g. Q8, We differentiate between "classes" and "Courses" in a school setting. I have only used individual classes of students taught by individual teachers and enrolled individual students in subject courses. In the kind of set up you are asking about, I don't know anybody doing it that way, but it makes a lot of sense in a lot of organizations to do it like that. I suggest the same PHP developer could create a set of SQL statements and an additional interface page to automate the enrollment processes easily. A cascading enrollment/unenrollment would be, I suspect, a fairly simple thing using the database providing that your course structures are fully developed and fixed.      

Fee paying and non-fee paying elements are already available, There was a discussion on this years ago and there is a way for it to be done, but I did not really follow the discussion so don't know how it was achieved. I think it ended up being something in the actual Moodle role assignment process rather than anything else, that was considered simplest, from memory. 

Much of what you ask for is already available, and Moodle is flexible enough for you to do just about everything else you need. 

I do not know of any LMS that does what you ask, but some, like the commercial products, become horrendously expensive to add this kind of sophisticated functionality. That expense, btw, increases as you update your core program. Moodle is probably the most accessible tool in this regard, plus the added benefit of a large development community to defray some of those costs and speed up the development process.  

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Sandy Flees

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sandy, you are more likely to get more answers if you keep to one (or two at most) questions per post and tell us what you have found out so far. 

In reply to Sandy Flees

by John Gifford -

To take your questions in order:

Q1 Moodle does have an automatic session timeout that can be set.

Q2 Quizzes in Moodle can be timed affairs with the timer reaching zero and the student data being automatically submitted. Once submitted the activity can be counted as completed and with conditional access setups completed items could be made invisible.

Q3 As a Moodle admin the reports system is very good, practically every action taken by a user is logged and any admin can access these logs to see times dates. In the case of course data this is accessible by the "teacher" they can see when a student logged in, what they viewed and whether they uploaded any assignment work.

Q4 There are plugin reports that show totaled times for students including when they were actually active and not just sitting looking at the page.

Q5 Quizzes log questions missed, answered incorrectly, students can flag a question to return to it. Some quizzes can even build on previous attempts so if you allow multiple attempts at a quiz subsequent attempts to the first will contain correct answers already. Usually such multiple attempts incur a penalty on scores because a student who answers a question on the first pass should get a better score than one who's had a chance to go back to the textbook and look it up.

Q6 Not entirely sure if a course can be duplicated as such. It can certainly be backed up without user data and then restored as a new course. I've never had to try thankfully.

Q7 See Q5 you can allow multiple attempts at a quiz and questions answered incorrectly are flagged red, correctly green and unanswered left white in a navigation panel at the top right of the quiz itself. The navigation panel however is only visible to the student while they are taking part in a quiz.

Q8 Actually to me your Q8 configuration sounds like the cohorts setup moodle utilizes. As long as the class list can be given to a course or moodle admin prior to the course being used, the necessary user accounts can be setup and then corralled into a cohort, the cohort is then attached to the course. I've done this for teachers at the school I work at, I manually create a user account and can configure the manual account with whatever permissions are required e.g. setup a teacher. We then use ldap authentication and when the staff member actually logs in their rights/permissions are already in place. Cohorts would also allow you to limit who can access a course. In effect if their name's not on the list they're not coming in!

Q9 Not sure about that students can certainly search courses, then again there might a plugin available.

Q10 I'm not sure whether you can have an agency login as such. But a course in Moodle is certainly capable of supporting a group structure where the agencies are created as the groups, students are emailed login details with an enrolment key that they supply when they try to access the course. The key they use then automatically determines the group they join. Whether this process would bypass payment methods I don't know, we don't use payment based systems in a school. Of course if the class list is available before hand then as for Q8 the groups could be setup beforehand, in this case they would login and go straight into the course as they would count as already enrolled.

Hope this is of some help to you I've been using Moodle now for about 12 years and believe me I'm still learning!

John Gifford

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to John Gifford

by Vladimir Nez -

Yes, absolutely. Using cohorts is the way to do it, just as John suggests.

I would also recommend using cohorts for Q10.

In reply to John Gifford

by Colin Fraser -

John, you wrote: 

Q8 Actually to me your Q8 configuration sounds like the cohorts setup moodle utilizes. ....

I actually read that differently, the question to me looked more like "I have a set of subjects that require to be taken in a particular pattern to produce a particular outcome."  Internal courses are less flexible in their requirement than an academic course for a post-grad qualification for example. Placing one person into a stream, if you like, could be done easily, as described. Otherwise, a cohort or even a set of meta-courses could achieve the desired results.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by John Gifford -

Quite true Colin it could be a matter of interpretation... but then again you could setup a cohort with the "program" title and then have the relevant courses for that program contain a cohort sync enrolment method to that cohort. That way, as I said, as long as the teacher/admin knows that a particular student is going to be a part of a particular program, in advance of them taking part in anything, the student can be enrolled automatically on any course that is linked to the cohort they have joined. The student would then be able to see these courses on the my moodle page, or student homepage as I like to consider it.

However if a particular pattern of courses is required i.e. you can't take part in course b until you've completed course a, then the student could see a set as links in an "umbrella" or meta-course over the whole structure, the links would link to the individual cohort enrolled courses. The tutor/teacher then sets the pattern by using conditional access and student completion tracking; so link2 cannot be seen until link1 is judged completed, link3 not until link2 etc.

The school I work at has a BTEC construction skills area that the teachers have setup on Moodle. They've setup template documents for the students to download, fill out then upload back; students don't see the upload assignment until they've downloaded/viewed the template doc. Then they get a quiz after the assignment activity to check what they've actually learned and then the unit is judged completed. Each item uses conditional access rules based on the previous items and student tracking results so they have to follow the order the teachers have set. I've got to say for the little demo they've required I'm very impressed by what they've achieved (their requirement was for a student e-portfolio; because they were getting their budget hammered by the amount of photocopying they were required to do). Now it's all electronic they have a fringe benefit in using colour photos for the samples of the students bricklaying/plumbing/woodworking skills instead of the B/W photocopies that were getting them complaints about detail from the examiner. The examiner can also be set as a manual non-editing teacher account so he/she can log in to view students results/progress etc.They start using these courses in earnest in September with the new academic year so the proof of the pudding will be in the eating I suppose.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Gifford

by Colin Fraser -

Wow, another great idea in the lexicon of great ideas for using Moodle.... That is a structure that could really help in something that is being discussed at my wife's school. Thanks for that, and now all I need do it to figure out how to achieve it..smile 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by John Gifford -

You're most welcome.

As to how to set it up...

• Setup a course and have links to the other course units (which are setup as courses in themselves). You could literally put all of the course unit links for all the programs into this one umbrella course.
  • Then use conditional access with groupings to control who sees what i.e. you've got to be in grouping A to see the links that pertain to grouping A content.
  • Then student completion tracking controls when they can see it unit 2 shouldn't be visible until unit 1 is marked complete.
  • The course setup then has a modular approach, should one of the units change content or even be removed, it can be changed without affecting the rest of the units or the course the students see.

Any help I can offer in terms of advice you only have to ask.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)