Comparisons and advocacy

What is difference between Moodle and other free open source CMSs

Picture of ardalan rashid
What is difference between Moodle and other free open source CMSs

Hi All,

I'm university student, I need comparison between Moodle and Sakai or between Moodle with other free open source CMSs. I will understand why we choose Moodle?

Please show me a reference.

Thanks.

Susaye

Average of ratings: -
moi!!! it is what is is...
Re: What is difference between Moodle and other free open source CMSs
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, you have posted in one. The Moodle community itself is a huge reference. To allow the development of Moodle, there has been an emphasis on the people who support it, not just a narrow band of beta testers. The Moodle community itself is vibrant and growing, offering suggestions, solutions, problems, advances and, yes, dare I say it, criticisms, of what is working and what can be done better. None of the other LMS or SMS's I have ever been involved with have this sort of support base, or been so willing to assist. 

If you go through this forum alone, you will find a number of links to Universities that are either undertaking, or have completed studies into which system suits them best, There are also a few references to implementation models and outcomes as well. This should provide you with some answers but will allow you to better understand which questions you may need to ask. 

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Just wondering . . .
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

There are lots of options.  For one view, check out http://www.ohloh.net/

-Derek

Picture of Mike Verna
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Ardalan,

In August of 2011 we made the decision to switch to Moodle from Sakai.  We belonged to a consortium of colleges that shared one Sakai site. Sakai was hosted by a hosting company.  We had little control.  t started to become expensive.  I setup a Sakai site for testing on my own in anticipation that we may need to change.  I did not care for the administration level of Sakai.

Began to test Moodle, found it easy far easier to install and manage than Sakai.  I had a server setup in late 2011, began to work with a handful of faculty members to become testers.  The testers were enthused.  Opened it up to more users, and by June 2012, we were on Moodle campus wide.  We host our own site.  I have two others for testing.

Bottom line the reason for the switch, Host our own site, saving the cost of the consortium and the ease of install and management of Moodle.

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
Picture of Musaddique Sanderwale

This is easy to understand. last year we have created one project in moodle for sms sending to cell phone via GSM MODEM even we don't have as much knowledge in PHP.

happy to use moodle

Picture of bashdar ahmad

there is a lot of information if you search for college sites

www.soran.edu.iq